SAU Community

12" Sub In R32

krayzie32

Hi Guys

Im Doin My Sound System Install.

The Centre Pieces of my Audio Install are

Fusion Powerplant 12" DVC Sub

Fusion Jonah Lomu 1211D 1250RMS@2Ohm Monoblock Amp

The problem im having is want really deep bass... and i dont want to spend $500odd dollars on a custom built box.

Can someone please give me suggestions, pictures, diagrams, designs etc that will make the 12" Sub the centre piece. i have tried purchasing boxes but most of them do not fit in the boot. Ported or non Ported

Im am going to have a crack at making one myself but as my skyline wont be with me for the next 2weeks i wont be able to measure up the boot or design anything visually.

If there is anyone experienced in the matter or own a skyline and have succesfully installed a 12" sub in their R32 please post Dimensions of box or help me design a box that i can cut up and put together

This Page will not only benefit me but also alot of other sau'ers

Thank you very much

Krayzie

You should be able to find some pre-fab boxes that will fit. Both my friends have the powerplant 12" in a ported pre-fab box and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound. Both had space restrictions meaning they had to find an odd shaped box. Autobarn had one which is thin and a little taller which means you can install it upright if you only have a thin space, or lay it on its back if you don't have much height to play with. It sorta looks like this with the back a little sloped aswell:

__

| \

| \

|__/

But seriously, just design a box of your own with the dimensions that will best fit your application, its not that hard. A box like above is more difficult to make if you don't have the right tools because of the angle joins thats why my friends both went ported pre-fab'd boxes.

By the way, I'm very impressed with the powerplant subs, they play very hard when given the 400-500WRMS and handle the low lows with ease. That amp you have chosen may not be the best choice (unless u want to expand later on with more subs). The DVC is 2+2 ohm meaning you can either run it at 1ohm or 4ohms, which will be what is shown to the amp. I Doubt that amp will be able to run at 1-ohm (if it can then great but it will be massively overpowering the sub), or you can run it at 4ohms and it will probably give you 600WRMS and be ok for the sub (but still take it easy). Essentially what I'm trying to say is that you should be able to find a cheaper amp for your current needs, unless you want to get more subs in the future.

Fixxxer

You should be able to find some pre-fab boxes that will fit. Both my friends have the powerplant 12" in a ported pre-fab box and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound. Both had space restrictions meaning they had to find an odd shaped box. Autobarn had one which is thin and a little taller which means you can install it upright if you only have a thin space, or lay it on its back if you don't have much height to play with. It sorta looks like this with the back a little sloped aswell:

__

| \

| \

|__/

But seriously, just design a box of your own with the dimensions that will best fit your application, its not that hard. A box like above is more difficult to make if you don't have the right tools because of the angle joins thats why my friends both went ported pre-fab'd boxes.

By the way, I'm very impressed with the powerplant subs, they play very hard when given the 400-500WRMS and handle the low lows with ease. That amp you have chosen may not be the best choice (unless u want to expand later on with more subs). The DVC is 2+2 ohm meaning you can either run it at 1ohm or 4ohms, which will be what is shown to the amp. I Doubt that amp will be able to run at 1-ohm (if it can then great but it will be massively overpowering the sub), or you can run it at 4ohms and it will probably give you 600WRMS and be ok for the sub (but still take it easy). Essentially what I'm trying to say is that you should be able to find a cheaper amp for your current needs, unless you want to get more subs in the future.

Fixxxer

Thanks for the tip dude

But if i remember correctly The Powerplant DVC is 4Ohm/Coil

the 1ohm & 4 ohm Load impedence is only if im running multiple subs but im planning to run 1x 12" Powerplant atm on 2ohm With Parallel Voice Coil Wiring

http://fusioncaraudio.com/products.php?act...w&product_id=30

Click Tech info:

Outside Dia. 319mm

Impedance 4 Ohm Per Coil

the amp i chose will put out 1250WRMS @ 2ohm

14.4 Volt Power Output Specification

800 WRMS x 1 into 4 Ohms

1250 WRMS x 1 into 2 Ohms

And Im Planning To Go 2x10" Fusion Jonah Lomus in the near future

im pretty sure this amp should be able to power that as well.

Plus If i told i got this amp for free would you believe it

The amp for free..... yes I don't believe it, haha :laugh:

Ohhh yep, my mistake, it is 4ohm per coil.

Just go easy with the gains on that amp.

You won't be disappointed with the powerplant.

Just remember though, I think the Johna Lomu subs are also DVC (4ohms per coil). With 2 subs you won't be able to make that magical 2ohm rating for your amp. But if its for free then who cares.

I'd think about grabbing another 12" powerplant in the future if you want low low bass, a lot cheaper too :laugh:

Happy bumping.....

Fixxxer

the space in a r32 boot is very tight. there are pics of my install on here somewhere and i mounted the sub in a beva box on the left side of the boot facing in and over the 2 amps... i would have liked it up towards the back seats but barely enough room to get in there, even when i did the entire custom wood floor in my boot i battled with space.

Ed

Thanks for the advice ED

Mr 32 is doin my install by wednesday so ill post some pics of how it looks by then

must i say Mr 32 i am very envious of your 32GTR but hopefully in the near future i will have one too.

You should be able to find some pre-fab boxes that will fit.

Just on the subject of subwoofers and enclosures remember that you must design the enclosure correctly. This of course means you have to first check out all the Thiele / Small specs of the subwoofer itself. This alone usually rules out most pre-fab ones. You then must take the T/S specs along with the resonant frequency of the car, the volume of the car, the volume level the customer desires and the music they listen too and then you must simulate between forty and sixty enclosures on the PC until you get the correct response curve to match what sound you desire. Then you need to build it correctly but I don't think I need to go further into that.

On the subject of what type of enclosure, you might want to have a quick read of this.:P

Edited by Fhrx

Thanks for the info FHRX and I understand all those tiny details that go into an award winning system.

I'm in no way an audiophile and I definately haven't heard the best bass there is to hear, but I absolutely enjoy listening to that 12" powerplant in that prefab box. To me its all I need.

Fixxxer