SAU Community

Intake Temp Cooling Options.

Techo

Intake temp cooling options.  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just a quick question coz i cant for the life of me remember the physics behind the heat transfer properties of different colours...will there be any significant difference in heat transfer between a cooler in its standard aluminium form..or one thats painted matt black?

just a quick question coz i cant for the life of me remember the physics behind the heat transfer properties of different colours...will there be any significant difference in heat transfer between a cooler in its standard aluminium form..or one thats painted matt black?

Cars come with BLACK radiators.

If you use a spray system use a mixture of metho and water. There is a thread somewhere.

IMHO the colour is irrelevant. The fact is that the paint is providing another layer between the hot air inside the I/C and colder air outside.

Which means the heat transfer is not as efficient. Think of it this way, which is cooler for sleeping at night - a black blanket, a white blanket or no blanket? ...colour is not the question, number of layers is.

The cleaner the I/C, the more heat is dissappated. The best thing you could do for your I/C is to give it a wash with your mag wheel cleaner occassionally - just be careful of the paintwork.

Which means the heat transfer is not as efficient. Think of it this way, which is cooler for sleeping at night - a black blanket, a white blanket or no blanket? ...colour is not the question, number of layers is.

none of the above....sleeping with 2 hot chicks on each side is wayyy cooler :whistling: (hope my wife doesnt read this thread)

none of the above....sleeping with 2 hot chicks on each side is wayyy cooler :whistling: (hope my wife doesnt read this thread)

Hahaha,

Colour having an effect relates to heat that comes from light/radiation (the sun) directly so if it is stuffed under the front bar in the shade it won't make any difference what colour it is. Hence the blanket colour description above.

Black absorbs the most light/radiation, it does not 'reflect' the light/radiation, that is actually why black looks black but lets not get technical...

Chrome is bright and shinny as it reflects a lot of light and therefore radiation, so if the sun happens to be hitting your intercooler, then it is better to be polished nice and bright rather than black.

Cheers

Luke

Hahaha,

Colour having an effect relates to heat that comes from light/radiation (the sun) directly so if it is stuffed under the front bar in the shade it won't make any difference what colour it is. Hence the blanket colour description above.

Black absorbs the most light/radiation, it does not 'reflect' the light/radiation, that is actually why black looks black but lets not get technical...

Chrome is bright and shinny as it reflects a lot of light and therefore radiation, so if the sun happens to be hitting your intercooler, then it is better to be polished nice and bright rather than black.

Cheers

Luke

My not so technical explanation:

black - absorbs more heat from the sun and therefore if subject to direct exposure...will raise intake temperatures.

Silver - may reflect heat from the sun ...but highly noticable by the police...who by freak of luck pulls u over for illegal modifications > this transfers to a heated arguement with the police about how u are just trying to make ur engine more 'efficient' ...to no avail and u cop a fine or worse a defect sticker...u then need to pay to have the intercooler removed and spend $$$ you dont really have which then transfers to a heated arguement with the wifey (especially since u rejected her proposal to upgrade kitchen cabinets on the basis of lack of funds) > which makes u get all heated up coz ur all fu coz u aint seein no heat in the bedroom ....

therefore in conclusion....imho ..silver transfers more heat :whistling: