SAU Community

Anyone Have A Rb25 Highflow From "sliding Performance"?

tangles...thanks for the input...

No problems :wave:

the info was all there, he said he was buying one, then he said it was on and he was happy...... =)

I mean, not being rude, but why ask if its in when it can easily be read? and then be sarcastic when I point that out to you? geez

Edited by Tangles

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

more power at idle???

excuse my ignorance - but how is this possible? how can power be measured at idle???

:wave:

Brendan

Hi Brendan, yep from idle to redline. Quite simple actually and very deliberate. I wanted to prove that I could make more power out of a modified turbo engine EVERYWHERE than when it was stock standard. I kept being told that modified turbos HAD to have a narrower power band, like it was an unbreakable rule of nature.

So when it was standard we put it on the dyno and let it idle in 4th gear, then loaded it up until it stalled. That load represented power (well torque actually). Then we did the usual WOT power run from there up. After we finished the mods a year or so later, I did exactly the same, on the same dyno. Everybody talks about the max power increase from 145 rwkw to 265 rwkw, but the real test was making more power at all rpms.

Hence, more power EVERYWHERE from idle to redline.

I am doing the same with 100,000 k's old R33GTST currently. Be interesting to see whether or not it gives the same result.

:) cheers :D

Edited by Sydneykid

That's true, but it still doesn't reach a shaft speed which would produce the equivalent pressure before the stock turbo.

You really need to stop thinking about power being relative to boost. Airflow makes power, not boost, it's irrelevant. Boost is simply a measure of restriction/resistance to airflow. If you remove the restrictions, it will flow more air and therefore make more power at the same boost. If you do a really good job, it will make more power at lower boost.

:wave: cheers :)

Was not clear to me...sorry that I am not the internet guru...

Come on man, read! If you can type then you can obviosuly read.

See Page 5. Its all there. dan666 on 12may and 30may. Do you want me to quote? (Im not a guru myself so itd be hard for me to do, but I can copy and paste) :wave:

apologies Neill, bad knee day = grumpy me

Edited by Tangles

Hi Brendan, yep from idle to redline. Quite simple actually and very deliberate. I wanted to prove that I could make more power out of a modified turbo engine EVERYWHERE than when it was stock standard. I kept being told that modified turbos HAD to have a narrower power band, like it was an unbreakable rule of nature.

Thanks for the input Gary, thats pretty cool info. Yeah, I guessed it must have been in Drive (auto) or 2nd (wrong! if manual) and just idling on a dyno to read a power figure from idle. never thought that youd have an increase in power at idle! lol

Edited by Tangles

You really need to stop thinking about power being relative to boost. Airflow makes power, not boost, it's irrelevant. Boost is simply a measure of restriction/resistance to airflow. If you remove the restrictions, it will flow more air and therefore make more power at the same boost. If you do a really good job, it will make more power at lower boost.

But that would only account for restriction leaving the cylinder, yes you can get more power due to the highflow of the exhaust turbine.

I was just indicating more power from less Psi is NOT from the better flow of the compressor, but from the increased flow of the exhaust turbine...having stock exhaust turbine but a better compressor simply will not net more power at lower boost.

Sorry no specs on the turbo, you may have to hassle Slide for them

So when it was standard we put it on the dyno and let it idle in 4th gear, then loaded it up until it stalled. That load represented power (well torque actually). Then we did the usual WOT power run from there up. After we finished the mods a year or so later, I did exactly the same, on the same dyno. Everybody talks about the max power increase from 145 rwkw to 265 rwkw, but the real test was making more power at all rpms.

Hence, more power EVERYWHERE from idle to redline.

I am doing the same with 100,000 k's old R33GTST currently. Be interesting to see whether or not it gives the same result.

:D cheers :D

Thats very impressive let us know how the R33 goes.

cheers

Great to see all the discussion about these turbo's :D

doesn't any turbo with a larger rear AR ????

Lag = horsepower

With the enlarged compressor housing and compressor wheel, VG exhaust housing and larger turbine there will be a little more lag trav but larger area allows more airflow which in turn makes more power. :D

I would like to see how these turbo's perfrom.

Also they claim to be Garett and Biaggio combined. Which part is what???

Biaggio compressures and wheels and garret bearing core???

Also we all know you get what you pay for, and as it stands Biaggio is a large manufacturer in Spain, that supplies a considerable number of OEM manufacturers.

I would like ot know what the BB version of the turbo would be both price and performance wise??? And see it compared to a comparable Garrett product!!

The core/cartridge is Garrett

The Bearing System is Garrett's GT spec Journal bearing system with a 360 degree thrust washer in place to improve oil flow and cooling efficiency.

The compressor wheels are Garrett and so is the shaft and turbine.

We use the Biagio overhaul kits on the T28's as we cannot bore and fit the Journal bearings that Garrett can provide as the shaft diameter is too large.

We have bought in the Biagio T04Z's GT3540 GT3076 and Disco Potato equivalents and should have some dyno figures soon.

Biagio even compete in the Formula Truck Series, Pick-up Racing, Drag Racing and Speed Boat Racing and its obvious at every track of the power they have overseas by the advertising.

I am one of the only Biagio Distributors in Australia.

The Internal specifications we would like to keep a trade secret as do most builders

The only bad thing is that we have nearly exhausted all of the VG rear housings from the single turbo 300zx's in Australia and have to seek more from Japan.

If anyone knows of a stock pile of them and old VL turbo's we will buy a pallet full per week if we could.

If we cannot find any we will have to go to Straight oil cooled and lubricated and have the water lines blocked off for RB's

:D Aaron

You don't want the VL rear Aaron....that's why I sold my one, it has an integral wastegate in the dump section and the flange is 90 degrees in the wrong direction...the compressor end would be useful though.

That info is appreciated, cheers Slide.

Man now Im really thinking about buying one. I dunno tho, money is too damn tight thesedays, and I dont have any of it anyways. :D

You don't want the VL rear Aaron....that's why I sold my one, it has an integral wastegate in the dump section and the flange is 90 degrees in the wrong direction...the compressor end would be useful though.

We are only after the centre cartridge the rest is throw away :D

These are our usual stock pile of the VG turbo's with the largest T3 housings Nissan provided.

cid8g5haxwtwt2jv.jpg

And here are the Cartridges we are in desperate need of which unfortunately are identical to all T3 Cartridges on the outside.

ciduzyfjxwqpy4ep.jpg

cida06cb79qhl4lc.jpg

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8539/cidn9l0mc3rry6np.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9636/ciduwzdtxo1gh9ld.jpg

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8207/cidvaau3ah1eu7ul.jpg

Great to see all the discussion about these turbo's :D

Lag = horsepower

With the enlarged compressor housing and compressor wheel, VG exhaust housing and larger turbine there will be a little more lag trav but larger area allows more airflow which in turn makes more power. :D

The core/cartridge is Garrett

The Bearing System is Garrett's GT spec Journal bearing system with a 360 degree thrust washer in place to improve oil flow and cooling efficiency.

The compressor wheels are Garrett and so is the shaft and turbine.

We use the Biagio overhaul kits on the T28's as we cannot bore and fit the Journal bearings that Garrett can provide as the shaft diameter is too large.

We have bought in the Biagio T04Z's GT3540 GT3076 and Disco Potato equivalents and should have some dyno figures soon.

Biagio even compete in the Formula Truck Series, Pick-up Racing, Drag Racing and Speed Boat Racing and its obvious at every track of the power they have overseas by the advertising.

I am one of the only Biagio Distributors in Australia.

The Internal specifications we would like to keep a trade secret as do most builders

The only bad thing is that we have nearly exhausted all of the VG rear housings from the single turbo 300zx's in Australia and have to seek more from Japan.

If anyone knows of a stock pile of them and old VL turbo's we will buy a pallet full per week if we could.

If we cannot find any we will have to go to Straight oil cooled and lubricated and have the water lines blocked off for RB's

OK, I am now totally confused, once more for the dummies like me…….

The compressor cover is VG30

The compressor is secret Garrett

The core is VG30 with Garret plain bearings inc 360 thrust

Serviced using a Biaggio overhaul kit

The turbine cover is VG30

The turbine is secret Garrett

I assume the round and round bits are balanced?

Have I got it right?

If I have, why don’t you do it the same way as other plain bearing high flows;

The compressor cover is RB25DET

The core is RB25DET with Garret plain bearings inc 360 thrust

The turbine cover is RB25DET

I know the VG30 turbine cover is slightly larger than the RB25DET, but the difference is a handful of rwkw’s at best.

:santa: cheers ;)

OK, I am now totally confused, once more for the dummies like me…….

The compressor cover is VG30

The core is VG30 with Garret plain bearings inc 360 thrust

The turbine cover is VG30

I assume the round and round bits are balanced?

Have I got it right?

If I have, why don’t you do it the same way as other plain bearing high flows;

The compressor cover is RB25DET

The core is RB25DET with Garret plain bearings inc 360 thrust

The turbine cover is RB25DET

I know the VG30 turbine cover is slightly larger than the RB25DET, but the difference is a handful of rwkw’s at best.

:D cheers :D

The compressor cover is either VG30 or Rb25

Compressor wheel is made by Garrett

The core is either a new Garrett T3 core that we bore out to fit plain bearings or a T3 from the early Rb30et turbo's

All internals for the T3 Highflows are Garrett and Biagio kits are only used for T28's

Turbine and Shaft are also Garrett

The Ball bearing T3 cartridges cannot be reused with the bearings and shafts we use for the highflows as the diameter of the shaft and internal diameter of the cartridge differ too much.

VG housing on the left Standard T3 on the right.

The spine is alot larger and so is the internal capacity of the housing.

housings3tf.jpg

No haven't had a chance to get it on the Dyno yet, also the turbo will take about 1000kms to run-in...until then you'll probably be boosting around 4000rpm like I was for 2 weeks, once everything had worn in and loosened-up it's awesome.

Hmm damn i guess i gotta just drive the car more often. It take me about 3 weeks to reach 1,000 kms.

Weekend car only you see.

Hey Dan, just wondering if you got the exact turbo as Satanic has?

His one is customized for auto transmission. Exactly the same as mine because i also have auto tranny.

Do you have auto or manual Dan?

hi all,

with stock ecu and injectors how high can i safely boost this turbo ($890 one) ?

i have air pod, fmic, full exhaust..

do i really need to upgrade fuel pump, injectors and ecu if i aim just over the 200rwkw mark??

thanks!

pplo

Edited by pplo

With the Highflow providing alot more airflow the stock computer struggles to cope with it and leaves huge flat spots open.

So along with all other turbo upgrades you wont get anywhere near the amount of power increase without some sort of engine management.

Any power figure would be a guess without a computer to manage the key factors.

Depending on your current timing etc it would be safer to do a diagnostic check whilst on a dyno and just see.

Same turbo Bernard :dry:

They are reacting great with the manuals also.

ahh thanks slide!

so if i just aim for over 200rwkw, i spose i could just go piggy back safc 2, wouldnt really need pfc if not aiming high, high ..

do you have pics of the rear housing turbine slide??

thanks

With an safc II or a NEO AFC 210-220 will be a reasonable target

Stan had 211rwkw with just an safc 2 on 11 psi of boost (this is correct stan???) Keep in mind it is an r34GTT Auto

Are you after pictures of the inside of the rear housing ? ie. of the turbine ?

hi guys,

ive been asked this a few times differences between safc and powerfc. they will both make very close to the same amount of power if both have been tuned correctly. but clearly the powerfc winds hands down if it has been tuned correctly and has a bulk of its load points tuned. if you have the IGN and INJ tuned in the low load / light load areas the car will feel much better to drive, response will be better and fuel economy better than safc + stock ecu.

the main difference is the powerfc will support more mods and if tuned correctly will feel like a new car to drive.

both are only as good as the tuner.

car 1 - rb25det with safc

car 2 - rb25det with powerfc

its not like car 2 is going to make twice the power as the ecu costs twice as much. it all comes down to tuning and how the car drives, average power is the key here. the engine should feel nice on throttle response (IGN timing), come on boost nice (IGN timing) and cuirse will with good economy (INJ tuning). i would expect the power difference to be 5 to 10rwkw at the most

also powerfc has the following advantages over safc

adjustable IDLE

configurable knock warning

configurable injector warning

configurable airflow meter warning

airflow meter change support

injector change support

complete ignition map control

complete fuel injection map control

no speed cut

no excess airflow cut