SAU Community

edges of wheels damaged

Guest b0nk3rz

Guest b0nk3rz

Does anyone know how to fix this problem - the edges of my wheels are severely scratched/and need to be grinded smooth... WHat's the best way to go about it?

0028alloy.jpg

Summerfield Engineering

Unit 61731 Albany Hwy Kenwick WA 6107

Ph: (08) 9459 1078

Got some custom made wheels for my buggy done there, I'm pretty sure they do mag repairs, they actually build them back up and machine them back down, just like new! They can even machine polish them while they're there.

PS: Those mags look awesome!!!

No idea sorry dude? I just had custom steel wheels made up. They should be able to estimate over the phone. Then you'll need to organise some loan rims and tyres while yours are off. I think the turn around is roughly a week.

Guest Stocker

You can do it yourself easliy enough if you don't mind a bit of hard work!

The tyres have to come off the rims to make things easier.

Then what you do is get a sanding block, some wet and dry paper, and work your way around the rim, always sanding in the direction of the rim, that is, follow the contours machined into the rim.

Start with pretty coarse paper, I used 60 grit on the wheels I got from a wrecker. Then work through the grades, 120, 180, 240, 400 then 600 or 800. No need to go any finer as polish will get the rest out.

Polish with Autosol or similar, you need an abrasive polish, not something like Brite shine, and Bob's your uncle!

Will take you about 2 hours or so per rim, depending on damage..that's how long it took me, and mine were pretty seriously bad.

Aluminium is soft and easy to work with, so don't be afraid to try!

Regards, Andrew.

Sounds like a good service, if you go ahead with it Bonk would you mind letting us know how much it cost and quality of their work ? I'd love to have the same done on my rims but it's a low priority at the moment ...

Guest Stocker

The two hours was for a rim that had pretty serious kerb rash all the way around, smaller scratches would obviously take a lot less time.

Regards, Andrew.

Guest b0nk3rz

haha 'kerb rash' - i had been wondering what to call it!

Thanks for everyones advice, i don't know which option to go with yet.. I'll keep you posted though.

Firstly i need to solve a more immediate problem regarding wheels and also licensing..which i still haven't done yet. My dad took it to get licensed today for me but they didn't pass it for a number of reasons - tint, blue lights, oil leak and most importantly the size of my wheels. The back ones are wide and the front ones are narrow (sorry, don't know the specifications) which i was told was ok. However, it is only ok if all four wheels are the same - wide or narrow doesn't matter, as long as it isn't a combination. The licensing centre apparently told my dad it would be OK however, if the garage that did the compliancing wrote a letter stating that it was OK for the wheels to be like this. Wouldn't the compliance plate indicate that obviously the garage did see it fit to drive? Besides, aren't the people who work at the licensing centre the ones who are meant to be making judgement calls? I am quite puzzled as to why the garage has authority to say it is ok but the licensing centre doesn't.

Can somebody please explain what the point of this is?

And also, why is it OK to have a pod filter so long as you have PAID for a license?

cheers