SAU Community

Rear Keeps Slipping!

pineapples work well in reducing any rear cradle movement...which helps eliminate axle tramp...also the likely hood of the shocks being gone in a car os this age should be pretty minimal...2 YEAR OLD TIRES WTF does this car ever get driven??? replace them there old or do a good burnout on the rear that should sticky them up a bit :(

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pineapples work well in reducing any rear cradle movement...which helps eliminate axle tramp...also the likely hood of the shocks being gone in a car os this age should be pretty minimal...2 YEAR OLD TIRES WTF does this car ever get driven??? replace them there old or do a good burnout on the rear that should sticky them up a bit :(

yep... hehe

then again, i must say the lines are a far more advanced engine type for their age(r33) compared even to my B-series VTEC screamer. I mean, yeah, the lines have more torque and more upgrades.With VTEC,well,yeah, only so much u can do.

yep the car is not lowered.

well so far it happened on 1 roundabout cause i didn't want to try it again on another...

damnnnn

start Saving for a GTR.what do u think? Attesa kicks in and it is all sweet!

So it well could be just that one round-a-bout. There is one near my place, its like 40kmh in the dry and 10kmh in the wet its that bad.

My car isnt stock either, its going fairly hard coilovers, very hard sway bars, 2 way diff, blah blah blah.

So its just that round-a-bout or your shocks. Maybe your tyres as they are getting on a bit.

I woud say it is your tyres. ask a friendly sau member if maybe you coudld try out their set of wheels and you'll know.

trust me, tyres are the link between your car and the road. Suspensions etc blah blah can only do so much if you have old/dried or cheap tyres.

My car does that all the time too. In the dry too. But only because i purposely put my foot to the floor :D

I think its more than plausible for shocks to be shagged, its still a 9/10 year old car. My 95 has buggered shocks, probably the stupid hard jap springs dont help. In combination with the bad roads around here they didnt stand a chance.

I have had the rear end step out in a straight line under acceleration, purely because the shocks are so bad.

all this tyre pressure talk won't make much of a different with road tyres.

Maybe 1 or 2 psi would not make much of a difference but I can tell you for a fact that it pressure can make a decent difference. My daily driver Pulsar was running 26psi all round at one stage (bit low), and I pumped it up to 36psi front and 32psi rear. The difference in turn-in and handling in gereneral is like the difference between night and day.

As for whether this could cause the problems described. Well it's hard to say. It is possible that an overinflated tyre will only contact the road directly in the middle of the tyre. The lower pressure will also help the sidewalls flex more, hense maximising the road contact.

May sound stupid, but it may be worth first checking that the wheels are rotating in the correct direction, as these tyres are directional.

u said there was light drizzle, there may have also been sum oil/grease on the road, and as u said, about 3000rpm, ur just startin to make boost. there may be nothin rong with the car (shocks or tires). i was in a 34 gt-t a few weeks back, completely stock (still had stock exhaust and airbox in place) and with the traction control on, it would still step out in second, on a damp road, about 3000rpm, what happened to u sounds pretty normal IMO

Maybe 1 or 2 psi would not make much of a difference but I can tell you for a fact that it pressure can make a decent difference. My daily driver Pulsar was running 26psi all round at one stage (bit low), and I pumped it up to 36psi front and 32psi rear. The difference in turn-in and handling in gereneral is like the difference between night and day.

As for whether this could cause the problems described. Well it's hard to say. It is possible that an overinflated tyre will only contact the road directly in the middle of the tyre. The lower pressure will also help the sidewalls flex more, hense maximising the road contact.

May sound stupid, but it may be worth first checking that the wheels are rotating in the correct direction, as these tyres are directional.

i used to run the whole car with 32 psi but of the last 2 months i put 39 psi up front and 34.5psi rear.

tonite, i have put 32 psi on the rear and 34 psi up front. Went back to that god damned roundabt and in fact floored the car there. Nothing...

<u>slight conclusion to those following this thread</u>

2 factors : could have been either air pressure on tyres OR just the bloody road/roundabout was plain slippery when wet(drizzling).

u said there was light drizzle, there may have also been sum oil/grease on the road, and as u said, about 3000rpm, ur just startin to make boost. there may be nothin rong with the car (shocks or tires). i was in a 34 gt-t a few weeks back, completely stock (still had stock exhaust and airbox in place) and with the traction control on, it would still step out in second, on a damp road, about 3000rpm, what happened to u sounds pretty normal IMO

dude,

would R33s have traction control as an option???

its just practice... especially in the wet... I used to think my car oversteered badly until I got better at driving the thing (was made worse with lowered harder springs and the stock worn shocks)... now I have the suspension sorted I have the rear swaybar on full hard and the front on medium as 33s tend to understeer hard when pushed into a tight corner and I HATE understeer!

I also have the pineapples (set to max traction) and they really enable you to feel the road through the chassis and have more confidence in what the rear end is doing... before the pineapples the rear end was all vague and mushy... note I also had the bilsteins from the group buy go in at the same time so the improvement was significant but I can't tell what improvement the pineapples had by themselves

firstly, what you explained sounds like fun i dont know why you are complaining.

secondly, just after it drizzles a little bit the road becomes VERY slippery as oil comes to the surface of the road and is not washed away yet. so you probably got caught in that extry slippery time :woot:

dude i will try that :woot:

as i recall the skylines are to run higher pressure on front tyres because of the engine putting more weight on the car... any thoughts?

easy - 32psi for all 4 wheels..

mate, 39psi is crazy, thats too much

what's pineapples doiing in a skyline? LOL. Seriously, what are they?

They come as part of SK's suspension package - very worthwhile. Ive got em, as I love my pinapples.

At the end of the day, either 2 things

a) tyres (condition, ie green rubber, ie its gone off, or pressure is off, either too low or too high, I say too high)

b) suspension

Probably both of the above. Tyres have silica content, this aids grip, as you do more kms you wear your tyres more (and at 39psi you're wearing them out fast, as thats too high), and as you wear the tyres more you have less silica, which means less grip. Sort-of, generally speaking. Add in the greasy oil on the road from drizzle, and yes it gets sliperrrrrry

Plus Id bet my left nut your shocks are weaping and are GONE.

Edited by Tangles

i agree with what you say about the way the tyres hold the road at diff pressures and i have experienced the differences also but unless this guy is running less than ~25 psi or above 40psi i don't think the pressure is the problem here.

easy - 32psi for all 4 wheels..

mate, 39psi is crazy, thats too much

Murcotts disagrees with you. i was aprehensive when they told me to come to their 2nd course with 40psi in the tyres. i can't remember exactly what they said to justify it but i think it was to do with having them inflated so that the water channels are effective.

guys

it was drizzlin' a little yesterday. Was driving the car and as i exited the round-a-bout, i gently tapped the accelerator. Now,the bloody tail just slipped .I am getting annoyed with this cause i am only doing like 20km/h.

What do you think is bloody wrong?

running very good tyres on the ride (Bridgestone Potenza Re01s all four) with 70% tread.

HELP!

Wet conditions are unpredible mate especally if it has not rained in a while all the oil and greese comes to the surface making it very slippery. I always take it very easy arround town in the wet conditions.

cheers