SAU Community

Rims/wheels Powder Coating Or Paint Spraying

j0hn3

Hope I'm in the right thread and if not, sorry mods!

Hey guyz,

Just wondering if any of you guys know a business that paints rims around the Western Suburbs, Victoria? It can either be powder coating or spray painting, as long as it's a good job and cheap. Would prefer people that's done business with them so I can get some feedbacks.

Thanks!

John.

Damn ..

I was quoted $220 but all the way in Dandenong .. Just kinda far from me .. Although thanks for ur help dude!

John.

Yeah i had a guy do mine in Dandenong, found him on the Ns forums, looked after me and helped me out picking the colour etc... think it was less than 300..

I was quoted $150-$170, depending on whether the wheels needed lathe-ing if they were out of round.

That wasn't in the west, but in Moorabbin, either just of South Rd or Keys Rd. Was 12 months ago, so forgotten now.

My rims were powder-coated in Airport West, for about $120 for all 4, but i knew the guy through my mechanic. Either way, the painter has left the business and the business has moved to another shop somewhere near by, but am yet to find where. Apart from a good clean and a light sand, no prep work was required for my rims.

$220 is a great price.

I sprayed my wheels with a can from autobarn. Simply becuase they are 200 dollar wheels and i thought powerder caoting would cost be about 300 and i wasnt willing to spend that.

The finish came up better than expected (didnt really know what to expect) and the durability has surprised me a little. with no scratches or anything yet (have been spray for about 2 months.

If i was to do it again the only thing i would do differently is spray with some sort of clear coat laca or something. something with a bit of toughness and a little more smooth, as the paint texture seems to hold dirt/dust pretty well.

I give them a light polish evrey 4 or 5 car washes and that makes the brake dust come off with ease :D

here is a pic about 3 weeks after spraying.

memphka.jpg

Cheers

umm..

they were around 14 bucks each. and all 4 wheels took about a can and a half.. did a really light coat on each wheel, then a much heavier 2nd coat.

In my opinion. I am very hapy with them, considering it cost me under 30 bucks, and they look like brand new wheels :)

spray can for the win! :D

Cheers

Steve

Just found the details, ask for Tim do the powder coating.

T&C Powder Coating

Tel: 9338 6631

Add: 12 Marshall Rd, Airport West.

Just got a quote to powder coat a new set of 18" rims (no prep work required), using gloss black, $120 for all four rims :).

If the rims need to be sand-blasted, etc, it will obviously cost more.

Just found the details, ask for Tim do the powder coating.

T&C Powder Coating

Tel: 9338 6631

Add: 12 Marshall Rd, Airport West.

Just got a quote to powder coat a new set of 18" rims (no prep work required), using gloss black, $120 for all four rims :).

If the rims need to be sand-blasted, etc, it will obviously cost more.

Mine are going into Tim tomorrow. I'll let you know how they go.

PM Age, he's sprayed several sets of wheels.

The WRX club has had rim painting days where several people got together and did a load at once.

They had the wheels off the car, masked the tyresoff with tape and newspaper. I believe they gave them a light sand (something like 1200 grit), then under coated, then sprayed, then clear lacquer, couple of coats of each I seem to remember.

They came up great and last well, I reckon stones are gonna chip no matter who paints them.

There is a DIY on the Rex club site, but its in the members only section.

The wheels went from this

6.jpg

To this

6b.jpg

Using these

vht5hw.jpg

DSC01895.JPG

Black, charcoal, gunmetal and white have all been popular

Edited by wokka wokka

My rims are Gold at the moment .. they are spotless. So I guess I need to get these sand blasted, or can we just paint over it? Lols.

John.

^^ You should be right to paint/powder coat over the old paint.

Make sure you thoughly degrease the rims and give them a light sand.