SAU Community

Fuel

Flash89

whats a crows foot tool and what do they look like? lol

okay i just got 290km out of a full tank on my car :D , just over half a tank was used on the xmas cruise

and thats with the fuel light beeing on for about 6km :P

i think i might change my o2 sensor soon :P see if that makes a difference

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats a crows foot tool and what do they look like? lol

okay i just got 290km out of a full tank on my car :D , just over half a tank was used on the xmas cruise

and thats with the fuel light beeing on for about 6km :P

i think i might change my o2 sensor soon :P see if that makes a difference

sounds like a plan dude, 290 is shithouse

yeh, my fuel consumption is getting worse and worse and i dont know why :D

also with these NGK o2 sensors are they direct replacement that includes the clip or do you have to cut the existing wires? :P

rekon it might have something to do with your missfiring aswell ?

i was getting about 280km out of a tank and decided to change the o2 sensor to the NGK which everyone is saying to do and have done and gotten results with. Had to fill up today after only doing 295km with a lot of cruising :D . Im out of ideas and cant really afford this so anyone else know what i can do...ill try anything?

Edited by Onthehunt

Just an update. I've been averaging around 300 - 320 km from full to fuel-light. I've run some injector cleaner through it and now I'm getting 350 - 380 km. I got the 380 after the cruise and a lot of freeway driving though so I guess that's to be expected.

Hopefully early 2007 I'll be able to afford to let her breathe a bit easier, so we'll see what happens then.

Just come back from the usual christmas break down south and got 11.5l per 100K in the GTR (460km from about 53L). Mostly 80 - 110kph country driving but it also included the odd full fang up to the speed limit and overtaking.

Best figures yet.

i was getting about 280km out of a tank and decided to change the o2 sensor to the NGK which everyone is saying to do and have done and gotten results with. Had to fill up today after only doing 295km with a lot of cruising :/ . Im out of ideas and cant really afford this so anyone else know what i can do...ill try anything?

Didnt work???? Thats a big surprise. How spirited is your cruising? Maybe swap air flow metres with someone for a week to see if that changes anything. If it does, go buy a newer one?

Didnt work???? Thats a big surprise. How spirited is your cruising? Maybe swap air flow metres with someone for a week to see if that changes anything. If it does, go buy a newer one?

hey brad,

yeh im really surprised myself. was alot of cruising. really didnt put foot down in that tank(which was hard to do :D). Tried injector cleaner as well and that didn't do anything either.

Resetted the ecu today so have to see if that does anything. car seems to run better so far since resetting . I had a look to see if there was a piggyback that might have changed the fuel mixture to make it run really rich but nothing so dont think thats been changed. Getting desperate...cant afford to keep going like this ;)

anyone got a spare air flow metre i can borrow? or any ideas?

Navin,

Been thinking about it and it doesnt seem right. Maybe the new sensor is faulty from factory? Bring your car back to me next week some time and ill put a new one in it and see if it changes anything. May not work but its worth a try. I am just very surprised it did not work as i have done it on several cars and it has had a 100% fix. Let me know if you want to try this. (straight swap, no charge of course)

• 2 months later...

ive had my car for about 3 weeks and it seems ive been spending a hell of a lot of money on petrol.

i had 60$ in it on the weekend and it went up to 3/4's of a tank and ive only gotten about 150 Kms out of it.

i had to put crappy vortex in just 20$ last night because i was scared i was going to run out of petrol, and so when thats down im going to BP with my 4c off voucher and filling up on ultimate!

ill see how many kms i get and how many litres i put in.. and then i might do that wynns injector cleaner to see if that helps me.

ill post up what happens when i do it.

pity its only 95 octane

ihave heard shell and caltex have made an arrangement with bp ( the only fuel supplier in W.A.) to carry 98 octane

so it looks like no matter where we buy our 98 octane it will be bp ultimate just re labeled either shell or caltex

Hi, guys. Came into this all rather late. There are a number of threads discussing fuel supplies in WA and elsewhere in Australia, which refineries supply where and so on. For example, see Optimax Fuel Quality. Unless it has changed in the last twelve months, BP Ultimate is the only 98 octane fuel available in WA.

There are also many threads on fuel consumption, so the "search" button is your friend! My understanding is that the factory ECU is programmed to run fairly rich. As you modify the car, by fitting less restrictive intake and zorst, it will run richer still, so your fuel consumption will go up - and so will the amount of black crap on the back of the car. Re-tuning, via a piggyback system (e.g. SAFC) or a replacement ECU (e.g. Power FC) allows you to lean out the mixture. But the factory ECU is deliberately tuned rich to minimise the potential for detonation. So if you lean out the mixture, you are increasing the chances of detonation. Hence your tuner needs to optimise your mixture to leave sufficient margin to avoid detonation, thus giving better power and happily gaining improved fuel consumption.

Replacing the O2 sensor may help, but I suspect that this would not be a long-lasting fix, as it was probably covered in black crap. Without fixing the fundamental issue of running rich, it wil just get covered in black crap again. Obviously the performance of the O2 sensor will affect the richness of the mixture and the amount of black crap produced, so it is not a linear relationship, but it is not a once and for all fix.

Incidentally, I get typically 360km per tank in my R33 GTST, filling up before the fuel light comes on (around 50 litres). On a long run down South, I will get 450 to 500 km. Fuel consumption improved when I fitted an R34 GTT intercooler.

Hope this helps.

Cheers. :happy:

hey guys,

i usually get about 400km's from 50 litres and thats a combination of freeway travelling and loads of city driving. i would suggest bring ur car for dyno and check out the air fuel ratio. If the air fuel ratio is way too high then get a new afm or a SAFC so that the air fuel ratio will run at optimum and if its running optimum u will get the best out of ur car power and fuel economy wise. Usually if ur car is running way too rich and consuming too much petrol you would be able to see it on the dyno sheet for air fuel ratio....

Hope this helps

Bernard aka SLOWPOK3