SAU Community

Noisy Thrust Bearings

Evil

Does anyone know if these can be lubricated (without removing the gearbox)? Mine are making a little bit of noise. When I touch the clutch pedal they stop. Clutch is in perfect condition too. I know some cars have a special panel to look at the condition of the bearings and to grease them. Is there one of these on an R33?

I have got the same problem. Mine has also started to squeak. Very annoying! Don't really won't to drop the gearbox as my clutch is fine also. Any help on this topic would be great!

Mine just do the 'sshhhh' worn sound when clutch is out. no squeaking, i have heard u can lube them but the noise comes back very quickly, so it's not worth it, most people wait till they need a new clutch to replace the thrust bearings but since you've just got a new clutch you might want to remove that gearbox again? :D

Originally posted by b005t

Mine just do the 'sshhhh' worn sound when clutch is out. no squeaking,  i have heard u can lube them but the noise comes back very quickly, so it's not worth it, most people wait till they need a new clutch to replace the thrust bearings but since you've just got a new clutch you might want to remove that gearbox again? :D

I think I'll just have to leave 'em, I don't want to spend big $$$ on labour for a small job like greasing some bearings.

:D

Its a major bitch. The car is so quiet but I can hear those f**king bearings make noise. As long as the noise is not a terminal illness I'll just leave them.

if it really bug's you. take a can of wd40 and a NARROW hose. modyfy the hose to fit the can then remowe the rubber protector on the gearbox housing and spray the MF thrust bearing.

OR better get a really FAT exhaust 3,5'+ with only one damper and yo' probz will desapear... :)

Wiktor

Originally posted by Wiktor

if it really bug's you. take a can of wd40 and a NARROW hose. modyfy the hose to fit the can then remowe the rubber protector on the gearbox housing and spray the MF thrust bearing.

OR better get a really FAT exhaust 3,5'+ with only one damper and yo' probz will desapear... ;)

Wiktor

No offence dude, but this is the worst thing that you could do.

WD40 will wash all the grease out of the thrust bearing, and within a few days/week the bearing will be running dry !! the first few days it will be quiet, but after that..... :) Not a good thing.

The only way to fix it is to drop the box and repack, or even better, get a new thrust bearing. :(

I replaced the clutch and thrust bearing on my 33 yesterday... Unless you have a pit or a hoist to work in you cant do it. It only took us 2hours to have the box out.... takes prolly the same to put it back in.

Sumo

Originally posted by Jay95R33

No offence dude, but this is the worst thing that you could do.

WD40 will wash all the grease out of the thrust bearing, and within a few days/week the bearing will be running dry !!  the first few days it will be quiet, but after that..... :)  Not a good thing.

The only way to fix it is to drop the box and repack, or even better, get a new thrust bearing. :D

no offence taken.

yes i know that it will take away all the grease in the bearing. but it was just ment as a temp. sulition.

of coure you have to change it asap.

Wiktor

Originally posted by Sumo

I replaced the clutch and thrust bearing on my 33 yesterday... Unless you have a pit or a hoist to work in you cant do it. It only took us 2hours to have the box out.... takes prolly the same to put it back in.

Sumo

just a tip. losen the engine bushings/mounts some turns and lean the engine down in tha back when you mount it back cus' it makes the job A LOT easier.

Wiktor

Apparently noisy throwout bearings are a VERY common problem on Skylines. I've heard of people going through four or five bearings before they found a quiet one... but then again, all it is is a noise, it's certainly not an indication that your gearbox is about to seize!

From experience, don't bother trying to 'repair' a bearing unless it's an emergency - a repacked/lubed bearing is certainly better than a stuffed one, and it's better than being stuck in the middle of nowhere, but you cannot guarantee how long it will last for. A day? A week? A year? Who knows - you can't rely on it, replace it with a new one ASAP. If it's just normal bearing noise (rather than a noise indicating bearing failure, eg rumble or screeching (!) ) leave it alone.

The squeaky clutch pedal is quite often just the plastic bush on the pedal pivot. Just spray it with some decent lube (that won't eat the plastic) and push the pedal a few times. If that doesn't work, lube the actuator under the car (where the clutch fork comes out of the bellhousing). Easiest thing to do is to get under the car and have someone repeatedly press the pedal, and you just sit there and lube anything that makes noise - within reason of course :)

• 3 weeks later...

yes guys a common problem it is due to the cars sitting in the shipping cotainers for so long and getting condensation in them DONT i REPEAT dont use wd40 get a new bearing and change it when you get a new clutch and coat with graphit grease this WILL fix it for certain!