SAU Community

Need Insurance? Want Cheaper Insurance?

I'm with Shannon's and they've been fine and well priced so far although I might do some research on Ryno next time it's due.

I was with Famous and had a claim through them. I wasn't entirely happy with the way they handled the claim but as for them being an offshore company and all that, it was never an issue and I think it's highly unlikely to ever be one unless there was some massive spate of car jackings or something, like a few a week with no recoveries for about a year or more. Basically it doesn't make business sense for them to deny our claims and use the offshore loophole to get out. If they did, someone might sue the Australian directors of the broker personally or something like that. Also, word would get out and they would have no new business. Finally, they take premiums in the full expectation that they will have to make payouts.

Basically it was a no fault of mine accident but I felt they seemed to be screwing me over on several little things, in particular my wheels. It is all subjective however, and I might have got the same treatment or worse from any other company.

The only other time I've ever had to claim I was uninsured and claimed directly with the persons insurance company that hit me. It was GIO and apart from a dodgy claims officer, everyone else in the company I dealt with was great.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i am having major problems with shannons at the moment.

after had three policies (my GTR, camry and home) with them for a year with no claims, they recently called me up twice and said they did not want to renew my policy because i am a 'dangerous driver' to the rest of the community due to the speeding fine i received in sep.

talked to the guy on the phone today and they said' WE ONLY INSURE PERFECT DRIVERS'.

so i guess i am gonna go ahead with other companies now which are cheaper( but does not cover any club day events) any way.

btw, i am 22 rating 2, got one traffic ticket for the whole time, went on my GOOD BEHAVIOUR DRIVING PERIOD ( lost 4 points two weeks before i went on my opens), and i am now a dangerous driver. so yeah, major disappointment.

and what was the fine for?

would have been pretty big and bad - esp with ya age...

20ks over the speed limit, and 4 points lost.

on the phone talking to the guy, and i was a 'dangerous driver' to the rest of the community because of the fine. as conversation went, he even said shannons only insure 'perfect' drivers. so i wonder if they have more than 10 clients in this country.

not very impressed at all.

but id like to thank a fellow sau member for his help along the way.

im now with just cars, same agreed value, but for 1800 a year....450 cheaper than shannons. the only catch is the high excess which is like 1800.

the thing shits me is that as soon you mention your car and your age, you are a hoon, or a young and terrible driver.....

the guy on the phone said the 3 litre turbo is too powerful for me to handle.

yeah right

so i just cancelled all of my policies with them.

So this thread is 32 pages long now and unfortunetly I dont have the time to read through it all, i have 2 quick questions :(

1. How are famous with claims? Anyone made a claim, was it a good/bad experience?

2. Do they still offer a discount to SAU members? Do we just say we're off the forums for it to apply?

I received my renewal from JC the other day, apart from slashing my agreed value (which we've renegotiated to a point) they've made me Rating 1... quite happy due to R34 driver, 22yo, only had insurance for 1 year!

Does anyone know how this would translate to another insurer? Am I likely to be granted a Rating 1 elsewhere?