SAU Community

Bov's

hey guys, yeh its kind of a stupid question, but i dont know so ill ask.

does any BOV fit any car, or are they car specific. for example, if i was to buy a BOV from silwa, off an sr20 s13, would it fit onto the rb20? how easy are they to fit, and is there anyone in perth who wants to help me fit it? (SOR)

can someone help me out? :)

steve :dry:

anyone? is it that dumb of a question.... :unsure:

some can be changed eg a gtr bov can be bolted onto a gtst, but i don't think silvia ones are interchangable with skylines. what car u got

so your saying, not just any one will fit? how much do gtr bov's go for second hand...

im after the good old "PSSHH" sound, rather than the whistly "PSHIT" or other types.

can anyone shed some light?

there is actually no benefit changing a stock BOV into an ATMO one, that is a BOV that vents to atmosphere and goes PSHHIIII, the stok one plumbs back onto the intake and helps to spool your turbo.

There are many ones on th merket but it is far better spending money on a deicent filter and exhaust and not a BOV. just my two cents worth

Edited by WogsRus

if u wanna make sum noise, just pull the plumback hose off the stock one and plug it up (the hose that is) that'll get u makin sum noise, and they dont sound too bad IMO

there is actually no benefit changing a stock BOV into an ATMO one, that is a BOV that vents to atmosphere and goes PSHHIIII, the stok one plumbs back onto the intake and helps to spool your turbo.

There are many ones on th merket but it is far better spending money on a deicent filter and exhaust and not a BOV. just my two cents worth

a blow off valve helps spool a turbo, yeah right. wrong side of intake and in fact the wrong pipe also.

thats like saying neon lights make it go faster also

a blow off valve helps spool a turbo, yeah right. wrong side of intake and in fact the wrong pipe also.

if you have a look at the stock bov you will see that it plumbs back into the intake pipe. so what happens is, when you lift off the throttle it dumps all the air in the intercooler and piping back through the turbo. thats how they help spool up the turbo. they keep it spinning when not on boost, so there is less lag. think of the turbo as one of those windmill things on a stick that they sell at toy shops. if it is blowing in the wind, then the wind stops, then you blow into it, it speeds up.

the skyline bovs work well. the sr20 bovs are crap. you will get more lag using one. i used to have a 180sx and when i went to an aftermarket bov it was a lot more responsive on gear changes.

if you want more noise put a pod on. that makes the stock bov a lot louder.

and if you just take off the plumback hose on the stock bov it won't idle, as the bov has been designed to constantly leak. there is a hole that constantly recirculates air to keep the turbo spooling faster, and if you block this hole they don't hold high amounts of boost well (over 10psi they bleed back to about 10psi)

Edited by mad082

wow thanks alot for that guys, it already has a decent pod and exhaust setup, i was just after a more distinctive PSHH sound, but the one it makes now is kool.

once again thanks guys, ill proly just leave it the way it is :)

much appreciated, steve :)