SAU Community

Clutch Slip and New Clutch Advice

400HP

I had my cam gears and powerFC tuned yesterday for my car and when getting a baseline dyno run in high boost (1.2 bar) the clutch woulnd't hold the power and started slipping.....

Although high boost doesn't create a lot more power than low boost I think its the sudden jump in torque (from look at the dyno printout) that causes the clutch to slip....

Anyway I'm looking at around 220-230kw @ the wheels and I need a clutch that will hold this.

I know the best solution is to get an Exedy/OS Giken/Nismo twin plate but I don't want to fork out $3K for a clutch right now. Can anyone recommend me a good clutch that will hold on to this much power ? and costs...

I'm looking at Exedy/Daikins and also the UAs ones at the moment...

get a 2nd hand twin plate dude don't stuff around... I went a Daikin supposed high performance ceramic and it lasted about 3 months. Jap twin plate is the only way to go if you want to hold that power and not slip....

richie

lumpy heheheh yeah not bad Nismo ones are softer than OS Giken which can be very grabby.....GTS25T one won't suit GTR though. Have heard Jim Berry clutches in Qld do tough single plates might be worht a call. I just wish for the money I spent on the single had put it towards a twin.. Can't you get a Honky special? Might know of one sitting around somewhere will find out...

So the Nismo are softer than the OS... cool thanks for the info Richie. Let me know if you find a clutch.

Ed don't think so.... cos people me and you both know (hint hint) are getting theirs for between $2-3K right and this is pick up in HK. If then we add the cost of shipping a 30kg clutch to Australia it will be close to $3K!

Originally posted by ice180

get a 2nd hand twin plate dude don't stuff around...  I went a Daikin supposed high performance ceramic and it lasted about 3 months.   Jap twin plate is the only way to go if you want to hold that power and not slip....

richie

Hmmm....so how come you didn't tell me that i needed my twin plate to control my cars power?!?! :P

for $700 what clutch would u recommend i get. rb25det in S13, using rb25det gearbox.

want it to last a long time. yet still want performance, and no slippage.

am at around 180rwkw now probly. whilst the box is out of the car, which one for future mods for around 230 to 250rwkw

yang!! when did u buy all those stuff u rich boy...:D (powerfc and all that... i expect u to smoke me next time we meet! )

i have a single plate heavy duty exeddy and i am not that happy with it... its too soft in my view... (feels even softer than the stock one for some reason)

go for a 2nd hand twin...

my mechanic told me a twin plate will last shorter than a single plate... why is this so ? anyone know?

and boosted RB26, ive never seen a twin plate selling for 1k... might be a damaged one ?? :)

I recently got a Daikin Organic clutch and its very nice. Cost me sub $500 (got a friendly discount) and pulls so much harder than the stock clutch (as u would expect when the stock clutch was warn).

I created a thread for discussion on it lately over here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ighlight=daikin

BoOsTeD_RB26 - really? I haven't seen that many but I've never really been looking out for them. But yeh I'm looking for a twin now I think unless I can find a really tuff single...

Jon - haha well I got some of the stuff when I was in Japan but never got around to fitting it... the powerFC was a late thing.. only just got it :)

I've heard the same thing about the singles plates for GTR... not a single person has said that they last..... so I think I'm gonna get a second hand twin plate.... but damn their expensive. I know Andrew sold his twin plate OS Giken for less than $1K i think just recently damnit but before i knew mine was slipping.

Btw man I met Joshua from proconcept.. he said he worked on your car all summer haha....

forgot the single and go the twin plate yang won't regret it.. keep an eye on here and performance forums for one for sale or try an email hikari they get some 2nd hand stuff sometimes or jms in Adelaide get stuff all the time.. Everyone I know inc me heheh who went a single regretted it they just don't seem to hold in a GTR... twin plate will luv u long time if you look after it they don't like being slipped. the nismo ones seem to wear a bit quicker than the OS Gikens and Ogura's HKS ones meant to be good as well...