SAU Community

Forged Pistons. Which Ones?

I can buy new ACL for $1100 or JE pistons for $1200 or second hand Wiseco for half that but when you factor in new rings it's not such a big saving.

Can I buy them at a better price elsewhere or look at some other brand?

Dont bother buying second hand, usually more trouble than they are worth.

ACL are good value, CP are also an excellent piston.

you have to look at the power level your chasing. acl may be good value, but will they take 700hp worth of punishment? doubt it. ive used acl pistons before, and dont get me wrong, theyr great. but you have to do a complete package, not just pick and choose parts, as one part may be a weak link in the chain, and fail destroying your motor.

and dont go second hand, many drag motors have pull downs every few 100kms, but they do get punished in that period, and may be ready to fail.

Edited by ezi09s

Remember sizing aswell.

Forgies might not suit your motor if you havent got it apart yet and know what size you actually need :)

No point getting them @ 86mm and then your needing 87mm :wub:

And you wont know that till its all machined and inspected etc etc

Remember sizing aswell.

Forgies might not suit your motor if you havent got it apart yet and know what size you actually need :)

No point getting them @ 86mm and then your needing 87mm :wub:

And you wont know that till its all machined and inspected etc etc

couldnt you sleeve the bores?

nothing wrong with used pistons, dependent on condition etc... but probably not worth the potential hassle; spend the ca$h on newies IMO.

But why sleeve if you can purchase something off the shelf.

By the time you spend the $$$ having it sleeved etc.

You'd probably have a new set of pistons in there or within $200 or so of it like you said :)

I personally know my choice on the matter - new.

CP are the shit. but any piston can fail. dont think because they are forged that you cant break them. i torched a $1200 set of Ross pistons in the Galant due to an alternator failure, yes $300 each, very upset but i learnt my lesson.

But why sleeve if you can purchase something off the shelf.

By the time you spend the $$$ having it sleeved etc.

You'd probably have a new set of pistons in there or within $200 or so of it like you said :)

I personally know my choice on the matter - new.

Edited by BezerkR32

CP are the shit. but any piston can fail. dont think because they are forged that you cant break them. i torched a $1200 set of Ross pistons in the Galant due to an alternator failure, yes $300 each, very upset but i learnt my lesson.

Asinine comment removed - make sense or go away. :)

Yeah I'm a bit concerned about going 2nd hand.

5000k might be low ks but it's a lot of 10 second passes.

I'm not looking for huge power and stock pistons would be fine for my current needs but the motor was n/a so I need other pistons to lower the compression ratio and to raise the pin height to accommodate the rb26 crank.

I considered buying 2nd hand stock rb26 pistons and running them in the original bore but as the block doesn't have the oil squirters I was advised to use forged pistons or at least have the stockies ceramic coated.

Although the bores are quite good I'd feel better with a fresh bore.

I'm planning going 87mm straight up. I'm not worried about leaving any for a further rebuild as 2nd hand blocks are cheap.

How good are the JE pistons?

no need to be a smart arse, this was about 6 years ago and i was using a fuel only F3 Haltech and running methanol. push engine as hard as i do and we will see if your liitle computer will save your engine. the point is a forged piston can fail, regardless of the cause, fuel pump, injector alternator etc. if you are posting to give the guy advise and help answer his question its all good. if you post is off topic and your just trying to piss someone off, well congratulations you have succeeded. as it seems you have all the answers and obviously havent broken anything how about forwarding the guy some of your knowledge, otherwise suggest moderators do there job and delete posts that are off topic and that are a deliberate shitstir.

Off topic, vague nonsense

I've heard good and bad things about most brands of forgies.

I'm sure for my moderate application they all would be ok so I guess it really comes down to price and JE and ACL seem to be a few hundred cheaper than the others unless I'm not looking in the right places.

Any suggestions?

no need to be a smart arse, this was about 6 years ago and i was using a fuel only F3 Haltech and running methanol. push engine as hard as i do and we will see if your liitle computer will save your engine. the point is a forged piston can fail, regardless of the cause, fuel pump, injector alternator etc. if you are posting to give the guy advise and help answer his question its all good. if you post is off topic and your just trying to piss someone off, well congratulations you have succeeded. as it seems you have all the answers and obviously havent broken anything how about forwarding the guy some of your knowledge, otherwise suggest moderators do there job and delete posts that are off topic and that are a deliberate shitstir.

The point of my comment was that if your deciding to build an engine than its obvious that you are probably at a level of power that needs a decent ECU. ie one that has battery compensations. What was the lesson learnt?

The point of my comment was that if your deciding to build an engine than its obvious that you are probably at a level of power that needs a decent ECU. ie one that has battery compensations. What was the lesson learnt?

The alternator dying on the Galant caused the voltage to the fuel pumps to drop and the lean-out condition killed the engine.

It was a fuel only computer back in the day when full ECU's were lots of $$$.

No-one buys fuel only ecu's these days do they?

Anyway.......Pistons!

Adrian