SAU Community

Help! Smoke From Exhaust With New Turbo

Hey peeps

I went to get the car tuned with the new turbo/injectors put in today and the car is blowing heaps of smoke.

I am iffy about the bloke who put the turbo itself on (car was then towed to tune place) and am thinking maybe he messed up the oil line to the turbo or something?

The first impression from the dyno tuner was its the oil seal on the turbo however the turbo is apparently very near new (ie no shaft play and low kms and very clean).

I am curious what the problem could be?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, turbo will be taken off on monday and if we can't figure something out with what to look for ill have to pay for it to be sent to GCG and any repairs :D

Thanks for any help people

Regards

Jazza

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the oil line is too big, then it could be blowing the seals out on the turbo. Check and make sure the correct feed line is on the turbo, if not, then you might have gotten a turbo that wasn't in as good a shape as you were lead to believe.

is it plain bearing or ball bearing? they need to run different restrictors on the oil feed depending on the bearing type. Im guessing its a ball bearing? in that case the stock oil feed should be fine with its corresponding restrictor

GCG Hi-flows are B/B turbos, they gave it a rough tune (as i had boost control problems aswell) so the car will run with the gtr injectors and new turbo however it smokes even on idle!

The smoke is white and i will get custom braided lines for the turbo if its an oil line problem but i wasnt sure if that could effect the oil seal!

white smoke usually means a water problem not oil

std oil lines running to a high flow is fine, no restrictor needed

Edited by Craved

Same amout of water in the radiator and over-flow bottle as normal...

The tune shop said it was an oil problem, but the previous owner of the turbo is well known and gaurentee's me it was fine when he took it off his car and didnt blow any smoke, so im leaning towards oil lines but i guess i have to wait until monday to see that.

I had this problem with my car. it ended up being the bottom end :) its weird and it would blow HEAPS of white smoke on idle yes ??

Did this happen as soon as you turned the car on ? or only after you got it tuned ?

also check the oil breathers. pcv valve etc.

ive seen on to many ocasions people putting catch cans on incorectly efectivly sealing up the motor.

the turbo is the first to show blowby or posative crankcase pressure. in the form of thick white smoke :)

There are four possibilities here, and I have had all of them at one time or another.

1/ There is just too much oil pouring into the turbo because the oil restrictor at the inlet fitting is missing. There absolutely MUST be a pin hole restrictor, usually 1.0mm to 1.5mm in size to restrict flow when using any BB turbo.

2/ The oil just cannot get out of the turbo because something is wrong with the oil drain pipe. Pressure builds up inside the turbo, and it will force it's way out past both seals, even with a perfect turbo.

3/ If the bearings have a lot of radial play (the turbo is stuffed), then the oil seals are just not going to be able keep the oil in.

4/ There is massive pressure buildup in the engine sump due to blowby past the rings. The engine will be VERY oily and this should be fairly obvious too.

I would go for number one. Remove the oil inlet fitting from the turbo and have a real close look at it. There will be a very small hole. If the oil pipe just runs straight into the top of the turbo with a big hole, then that is your problem.

Less likely, but remove and inspect the whole turbo oil drain line and fittings. You absolutely must be able to roll at least a 10mm ball bearing all the way down that pipe. If you cannot, find out why and fix it.

Stuffed turbo bearings will be very obvious, and need no further comment. Really bad engine blowby and sump pressure buildup should be pretty obvious too.

The car never ran an ounce of smoke and has had regular oil changes, its def not a bottom end issue its only happened since messing around with the turbo, injectors, afm, catch can and ecu!

Interesting... i had the catch can modified so that i could block the gas's going into the intake before the tune but the car never ran with the catch can like that!

It used to have 2 lines running to it from the head but the other lines still connected (so it didnt really do anything at all...) now i got one line running to it and the other line on it is a breather (maybe this doesnt work and i need a catch can with breather built in on to of it? The air filter now has no gas's running to it as its blocked up and im not sure about the other manifold side of things as he spoke of blocking that via something too but i cant tell...

Pictures are below to explain what i mean!

Should i go buy a new catch can so i can have two lines running from the head to it (maybe one isnt enough?) and have a breather on it standard as this one didnt as i said it had an inlet modified to have a breather on it which maybe doesnt do the job?

post-7888-1151725035.jpg

post-7888-1151725065.jpg

post-7888-1151725072.jpg

Edited by jazza08