SAU Community

Selling Cars... whats too many kms

Roy

I know we all use kms as a rough gauge on assesing condition of cars, but do we automatically rule out cars that have over say 120,000kms

Im starting to look for buyers for my car, and just thru people that know the car, friends etc, they are all interested until i tell them it has 138,000kms on the clock. Yet they are all really impressed with the condition of body, susp, engine etc. My mate says it drives better then his S14.

Im also silly enough to tell them it gets driven on the track, but i never rev and dump, am forever changing fluids servicing the car (this is the main reason im selling it, the amount of kms i do with work), the car is in good condition, the only reason i dont say excelent is because it is 11 years old, and has very small detail/trim wear in the interior.

So for the record when buying a car, i buy based on the conditionof the car, am i the only ine that looks at more the the odometer. If the ar is maintained with receipts to prove service and has had an owner who sees their car as more then transport, then kms dont bother me.

Ive owned a car which had a stuffed SR20 when i bought it from a dealership with only 68,000 kms.

So how much trouble should i anticipate seeling my car with 138,000kms...

it's not high kms compared to other AUSSIE cars of the same year.

But when people go to the dealers and see a R32 GTST of the same year as yours with 70K - 80K on the odometer, then that car is going to sell before yours to about 90% of people.

sure it's a dealer car and kms MAY have been taken back, AND it is completely stock standard, but people will prefer it.

You've spent heaps on suspension and other performance mods, and the car is ACTUALLY better than almost all of the dealer cars and should be worth more, but we all know that MAJORITY of people will try to steer clear of modified cars ESPECIALLY ones that people admit to taking on the track..

I've seen pics of your car and it really is immaculate. all the work you have done is LEGIT and has been done by professionals, BUT, and there is always a BUT, the high kms will always deter people from buying it because they think that it is more likely to break down than a car with 80,000kms.

Im looking at buying a V6 Galant and for the life of me i cant find one that has been maintained, absoulte buckets of bolts and some of them have only had 80,000kms on them.

The only reason i want a Galant is that they are reasonably grunty, decent size, modern looking and hopefully cheap and reliable to run, and with a towbar my next skyline will be quicker then my current plod.

I had a V6 Galant for 9yrs before I got my GTS-T, and it was a fantanasic car. It had greater street apeal than cloned Mazda's & Telstar's. Suspension was more hi tech (5 link double wishbone) & not just cheap mcpherson struts It had 105,000 km's and still ran like new.

Yeh, i like the Galants, theyre cool

Im not one to not tell the whole story when selling things, even if in the long run it hurts me... so ill continue to tell them it has seen track work.

A thing to note is i have friend who for the last 50,000 kms on his 200SX drives it hard all day, everyday, often only changing gears at say 5000rpm and racing anyone who even looks at him. Hard launches, at least one every time he drives it

Hey its his car, and he is free to drive it how he chooses, but the constant hard driving is worse then the say 100kms of track work my car may do a month. On the street my things get pampered, evidenced by my clean driving record.

Oh well looks like she wont be finding a new home,

I just got myself a V6 Galant, nice cars, got it coz i wanted a nice cruisey car for work (while i save for something special for w/ends hopefully..) my SSS is lowered to much and peak hour and manuals piss me off. Auto is a big change! the 'Fuzy Logic' gear box thou is interesting, almost like a manual in a way.

Ice80 your right, there are more Telsta's and 626's around but to me they look like old men/ladies cars.. and thats generally who u see driving them! no offense to anyone! another reason i bought it, there not common like every other car out there and have a nice look to them.

For an Aussie car thats 10years old and is in the 'luxury car' field they still look the goods and relatively sporty. i'd post pic's but im at work

All 3 cars equipement levels are pretty much the same, the Telsatar's and 626's have a facotry sunroof on the V6 models wereas the Galant doesnt, there's a few out there with sunroofs put in by the dealer when the car was brand new before the car was sold like mine.

everything else is the same - abs, cruise, foggies, power everything, cup holders.

it's only a 2L not a 2.5 like the others but it still goes alright, very revy (redline at 7 or 7.5k) mine has a K+N and custom exhaust which i'd imagine help abit.

the cars done 145,000km's, just drove it to Queensland and back, racked up 2,600km's on it and it didnt miss a beat - didn't use one drop of oil!

oh it's got a towbar too.

Roy you need to be realiastic with the price you want if you want to sell with the higher miles I know it sux but thats how it goes when you competion has muchless milage.

sound funnyand 138 000 klms for an 11 year old car is not to high

but the market dictates price

So what is too much, toe in water, i was hoping for 20k.

I could always do what some Japs do and wind back the ks to 80,000 then i wouldnt have any trouble selling the car.

Funny thing is because of the condition of the car people wouldnt blink twice when seeing the car and condition. I wouldnt touch the clock anyway, apart from being illegal and unethical, it doesnt highlight the care and maintenance that the car has received to be in the condition it is.

In the immediate future looks like ill be keeping it, which is really what i want to do anyway. Ill just go back to my old ways and not worry about the economics of it all.

What i like is that some people are turned off by a car that has done 130,000k's and it's 8 year's old.... Hmmmmmmm

Let's do the math's....

that's a little over 16,000 k's a year....

The Average (according to what i have read) is around 25 - 30,000 per year... in Japan that is..

The Average in Australia is 40,000 k's per year.

Soooo.... a 95 with 100-150,000 k's COULD be around the average mark.

Funny how Some dealer's all have between 60-80'000 on the clock of a 92-93 model.......

If k's are a factor..... you're limiting yourself from a really great vehicle.

Fact is Car's get driven, most car's of similer age will have lot's of k's on them

Newcar's and 2001-2 model's wont have too many.....

my 2.5 c.....after Tax.....Before GST....

Cheers

Loz

Maybe when selling just chuck in the ol' "it's got the average amount of k's on it..."

If they say that car's on the (sellers')lot have less, give them the ol ... "someone might have wound 70,000 k's off that."

Any real enthusiest will know that K's dont mean too much with Import's...

Dont wind back the clock...that make's you no better than the other dodgy people... and it's illegal.....

Cheers

BTW my Skyline had 133,000 k's when i bought it and the timing belt changed at 107'000 I have the reciept...but it's in character's so i cant read it, but the number's are on it so it's real enough to me....

Cheers

Guest Grant Mcdonald

I got my R33 GTS25T with 56,000 ks for $15500 from a yard ,and the inside was perfect no wear on anything , and it has a 49,000 ks thing stamped on a plate under the bonet saying timing belt.

Guest Boxhead

my r32 has 125 000 kms i think.. its still in melb being complianced.... when it came up, it looked good, i thought well, atleast whoever owned it is being honest about the kms....

and for em to be honest, that prolly means they have taken care of it and not afraid that people will think its about to die...

but it all comes down to the market...

Timing belt at 49,000kms??? The orginal owner must have been as obsessive complusive to change the thing that early.

See at that price i would be paranoid that i was getting too good a deal, im from the school of thought you get what you pay for.

Do you know what auction grade it was from Japan.

Congrats on they buy, sounds like your one of the lucky ones that got his ride for under market value.

Guest Grant Mcdonald

yea! see i got it from the Gold coast and there is heaps there at the yards so i just bagained around to get the best deal with cash! its the only way to do it . :(

Guest Boxhead

yep sounds like a nice deal...

i am paying around the $13,500 mark for my skyline, before rego...

its r32, but has extras such as coil overs, fmic, exhuast, dark tint.... and it has previous accident, thats why i think it was cheap, also the high kms, but as i said before, atleast i know there genuine... and yes i got the accident damage checked out first before i bidded...

also, in that price was the tyres... and, the compliance plate was at the end of old scheme so i payed almost top dollar for it, and it was in melbourne, i worked it out and i could have saved at least 1300 on if i got a compliance plate a month earlier then i did, and no transport to melb( only place i could get a plate at the time now)