SAU Community

Is My Suspension The Problem, Or Is It Me?

I'll just say first that I'm used to driving a corolla around, launching at traffic lights, cruising over speed bumps at 40kph, and taking any corner hard. So I'm basing what a nice ride feels like on that.

Maybe I'm just not used to stiff suspension, but my R33 just isn't "comfortable" to drive around in. I can feel every bump in the road, and most traffic lights I can't launch from because off the uneven-ness in the intersection. Not to mention the suspension is squeaky. Panels inside the car rattle a fair bit over small bumps.

Edit: Also should have mentioned that I can't hold traction in 1st after about 5000 rpm. If I have a heavy passenger or more, yes, but not just by myself. My tyres are SAVA INTENSA 235/45ZR17 94W, there's some other stuff on there as well not sure if it's important, "Tread 180 Traction A Temperature A"

My dad just bought a new Golf GTI, and to me the suspension feels incredible. It's stiff but at the same time very comfortable ie. I don't mind the stiffness. Which got me to thinking maybe mine isn't up to scratch.

Recommendations? Should I take it to an expert and get it checked out? I'm a bit wary of taking it somewhere and being told I need to replace things regardless of whether they need replacing. I'm a noob and I'm sure people will pick up on that!

Anyone near the sutherland shire feel like taking me for a drive around the block in a skyline with a good setup so I know what I'm missing out on?

Thanks!

Edited by bombastic

You might find that the suspension is shot. My R33 was like that till I put new shocks in it[ well second hand Bilsteins, which are better after a rebuild] Bet you find it crappy going down the Kingsway from Caringbah to Cronulla. Mine still makes a bit of noise down there.

Your suspension is probably worn out. When I had a R33 S1 i found a set of new standard suspension going cheap and put it on. Even though it was the same spec suspension it was basically a totally new car to drive. The old junk was just worn out.

Your tyres probably arent doing you many favors as far as traction goes either.

I had my mechanic come for a drive with me and he seems to think it's OK, and that "you get what you pay for" in a cheap car like this. But suspension shouldn't be squeaky like this should it...?

Please someone take me for a ride in something with a good setup so I know what I am or am not missing out on!

Edited by bombastic

yup im in the shire also!!

hmm well i got nissan shocks with lowered springs atm..

Ride is excellent and handling is also good. You wont even feel a bump..

Edited by siddr20

Hello Bombbastic. From what you have said it sounds very much like you require new suspension.

Your wheels are having trouble leaving the ground over 5 rpm tells me that the shows are just not working well enough to hold the tyres to the floor on takeoff witch is common in worked car's.

I have 370 kwts at the wheels and still have no problem with traction unless I want to :)

So it sounds very much like you should have read the section on suspension and how it all works.

Was very enlightening and I believed that replacing it will more then likely take care of the power problem.

As for the squeakiness. That could have something to do with the suspension also but why don’t you just walk around the car and check your rubbers on all door and look for movement wear in the panels at the join's around the stress points of the car.

I hope this helps a bit. But please consult a reasonable mechanic before taking anything that anyone says as the word of god.

Hello Bombbastic. From what you have said it sounds very much like you require new suspension.

Your wheels are having trouble leaving the ground over 5 rpm tells me that the shows are just not working well enough to hold the tyres to the floor on takeoff witch is common in worked car's.

I have 370 kwts at the wheels and still have no problem with traction unless I want to :thumbsup:

So it sounds very much like you should have read the section on suspension and how it all works.

Was very enlightening and I believed that replacing it will more then likely take care of the power problem.

As for the squeakiness. That could have something to do with the suspension also but why don’t you just walk around the car and check your rubbers on all door and look for movement wear in the panels at the join's around the stress points of the car.

I hope this helps a bit. But please consult a reasonable mechanic before taking anything that anyone says as the word of god.

Your suspension doesnt sound worn out to me, just very hard. Was ita Jap inport? I dont know much about Oz Skylines, do you import them a lot or were they sold in Australia from new? We have to import them in the UK and it seems the Jap guys really like their rock hard suspension set ups.

Rose joints can squeek as they lose lubrication, its possible your car has been fitted with adjustable camber arms etc to compliment the suspension and the joints are dry :)

Can you get a pic of the dampers?

Basically I find skylines with stock suspension in reasonable condition very comfortable to drive with not bad handling characteristics, and they should not squeek.

So something is not right, either it has rock hard jap spec shocks and springs or they are just rooted shocks. Squeeking is prolly from the suspension bushes, might be a good idea to replace the major ones especially if they are the standard crappy silicone filled ones. As for the rattling that just sounds like a car that has seen a pretty hard life.

Take it to a suspension shop and ask them to take a look. If you have the pedders $14 28? point suspension safety check get that done, you don't have much to loose and that may tell you something, just don't get any work done there, or at least don't book it in as soon as you get the report done - that is what they want you to do.

Your suspension doesnt sound worn out to me, just very hard. Was ita Jap inport? I dont know much about Oz Skylines, do you import them a lot or were they sold in Australia from new? We have to import them in the UK and it seems the Jap guys really like their rock hard suspension set ups.

Rose joints can squeek as they lose lubrication, its possible your car has been fitted with adjustable camber arms etc to compliment the suspension and the joints are dry :whistling:

You are right the can squeek but he is losing tracking becouse of it. Witch indercates warn shocks.

I disagree with your assessment on the shocks.

If he had standard but worn dampers then he wouldnt have the hard ride unless they were combined with stiffer springs. A lot of the Jap imports we get run very hard coilovers which is why I suggested that as an issue :whistling:

Edited by bren

yup im in the shire also!!

hmm well i got nissan shocks with lowered springs atm..

Ride is excellent and handling is also good. You wont even feel a bump..

Awesome, I'll shoot you a PM as soon as I ditch the flu :O Sorry for the late reply, something seems to be up with my thread subscription.

Is it possible that the tyres just suck?

I have 370 kwts at the wheels and still have no problem with traction unless I want to :(

If you're referring to the shockabsorber 101 thread, can't say there was much to learn there other than that some shocks are better than others. Otherwise please enlighten me :wave:

But please consult a reasonable mechanic before taking anything that anyone says as the word of god.

My mechanic is very well respected, and seems to think it's OK, and "thats what you get". But this doesn't make it any more enjoyable to drive!

Yeah imported, but from what the first aussie owner said to me, it had the suspension changed when it came into the country.

Rose joints can squeek as they lose lubrication, its possible your car has been fitted with adjustable camber arms etc to compliment the suspension and the joints are dry :O

I'll try. Mechanic did mention there is nothing to lubricate.

As for the rattling that just sounds like a car that has seen a pretty hard life.

Or maybe the car has had suspension that's too hard :D

Take it to a suspension shop and ask them to take a look. If you have the pedders $14 28? point suspension safety check get that done, you don't have much to loose and that may tell you something, just don't get any work done there, or at least don't book it in as soon as you get the report done - that is what they want you to do.

There is one nearby, sheesh for $14 might as well.

Thanks all for your help! I'll consider what to do next after (if) I've been in siddr20's ride.

I think that your tyres could also be contributing to the harsh ride, as I also have Sava Intensa tyres and mine are only 16", and if you examinie the tyre compound, they feel more like rocks than rubber. I am getting new tryes this weekend to Toyo TR1's and I believe will add some difference in ride comfort.

Just a word of caution for eveyone: Sava Tyres Grip in the Wet = 0 (have gone ice-skating more than once in the rain)

Edited by godspd

I think that your tyres could also be contributing to the harsh ride, as I also have Sava Intensa tyres and mine are only 16", and if you examinie the tyre compound, they feel more like rocks than rubber. I am getting new tryes this weekend to Toyo TR1's and I believe will add some difference in ride comfort.

Just a word of caution for eveyone: Sava Tyres Grip in the Wet = 0 (have gone ice-skating more than once in the rain)

Can your sava's hold traction in first, and if so do you also have an RB25DET? If so then that would indicate my suspension is the cause of loss of traction.

Edit: Also should have mentioned that I can't hold traction in 1st after about 5000 rpm.

lol,

No,

5000rpm in 1st,

what is traction?

lol

Why not find out if u have an after market suspension or not?

look at it, most of the time, u can tell them stock apart from aftermarket.

or snap a pic and post it on!