SAU Community

I Think Theres Big Problems!

sam5709

just now i took mi skyline out for a drive, there was a red xr6 at the lights near mindarie custom exhaust next to me so i hav it some heavy gas, wen i floored it as soon as the car started to hit 4500 rpm it started to cut out and make a series of back fire noise and lost power so i slowed down and then tried it again and it did the same thing? does any one know wat it could b?

what are the coil packs? hope its nuthin to big, the car is still under the 3 year warranty from autoworx so i hope wot ever it is it will b covered through warranty!

dunno havnt checked aye, just started it up again then and it doesnt hav a smooth idleing noise to it, it runs for about 10 seconds then it will sound deep for a second then go back up to a higher pitched idleing sound, if that makes sense haha!

Was the car only just started for the day? My car does that when it's still cold, I don't thrash it but even revving a bit more than usual it might do it, probably flames too.

hey heres an idea.... coil packs :wave:

Just have a look to see if any of them are unplugged. They will be under that cover in the middle of the engine. The one that says "nissan 2500" if one of them is unplugged it will do that.

Just grab a set of alan keys and pull the cover off to have a squizz. Dont worry its just cosmetic really, you wont break anything.

hmmm guys... i think im having the same problem as well but might be a little different.. when i go on low boost at 0.5bar the car runs kinda smooth but when i switch on to high boost at 0.7bar the whole car seems to be missfiring hell alot like after 5000rpm's in 2nd gear and 3rd gear after 4000rpm's and so on.. it just keeps missfiring non stop... i heard some ppl say that i may need a safc as it may be running too rich coz i can see blacksmoke coming out from exhaust when i floor it in high boost and missfires. some say the spark plugs may not be gapped properly.. some say my fuel pump... any of u guys experienced this problem before?

Cheers

[bernard]

My car was popping and missing when on boost (wouldn't go over 4psi), it was plug gap, gapped them down to 0.6mm and it's all good :whistling:

as said coilpacks can produce the same symptoms.

hmmm guys... i think im having the same problem as well but might be a little different.. when i go on low boost at 0.5bar the car runs kinda smooth but when i switch on to high boost at 0.7bar the whole car seems to be missfiring hell alot like after 5000rpm's in 2nd gear and 3rd gear after 4000rpm's and so on.. it just keeps missfiring non stop... i heard some ppl say that i may need a safc as it may be running too rich coz i can see blacksmoke coming out from exhaust when i floor it in high boost and missfires. some say the spark plugs may not be gapped properly.. some say my fuel pump... any of u guys experienced this problem before?

Cheers

[bernard]

coilpacks.. replace them with splitfire ones off nengun or perfectrun.com.. the standard nissan ones are like a grand to buy but these aftermarket better ones cost around 600 delivered get them i garentee will fix ur problems

Here's a list of issues that cause tis common problem.

Are the plugs in properly? - reseat.

Are the plugs the correct heat range? - std is 5. 6 and 7 should also be ok.

Are the plugs gapped to 0.8mm - std plugs are 1.1mm, regapped to 0.8mm makes a sturdier spark.

Are your coil packs old and fcuked? - epoxy old ones or get new ones.

It could be running rich. - ECU adds more fuel than fuel needed running more boost. This can cause misfire. - Need aftermarket ECU or piggy back cumputer and tune.

It could be running lean. -fuel pump not supplying enough fuel to the engine, causing it to ping and the ecu hears this by microphones and cuts/retards the ignition. - need a fuel pump, common in early 33's

Most probably your issue is a combo of running rich, which skylines do in the cold, and dodgy colial pack and/or spark plugs.

The good news is that your engine is most probably OK.

Check your intercooler pipes/hoses/joiners first

I've had a similar problem before when ive floored it, come on boost and blown a pipe off. Check the clamps particularly near the bottom right hand where it exits the engine bay

hmmm okie.. so a SAFC is not needed eh? cool.. i will go check the spark plugs first.. i will go back to the shop and ask them to regap it for me as i think if they did it wrongly they wont charge me :D u may think im a cheapskate but im only a student and only workin part time and dont even have a fmic :D