SAU Community

Spark Plugs

Flash89

hey the peeps, to get my spark plugs change to patium, it was going to cost me 200 fitted by hyper drive. i was thinking of doing it myself so when would i find the right spark plugs around here

thanks

i did mine myself, ive never changed a sparkplug in my life, it was piss easy took maybe an hour and a half. I got NGK Irridiums and i got them from Repco and for 6 they were $110.

But i heard u get away with Copper ones they just need changing more often, but there only like a few bucks each

yeah i did mine the other day took no longer than 30min. I got NGK Irridiums for $102 from the local auto shop if you follow the guide you cant go wrong :) credit to the person who wrote it.

I agree, they are cheap do the same job, If you replace them yourself even with the extra life of the platinums you still end up on top. I have a thing for the spacetanium though :dry:

my ngks platinums cost me 100 bux i put them in my self taxed a gap tool off mikey :dry: and only took like 30 mins all u need is a 21mm socket to take out the plugs im pretty sure its 21mm and 10-12-14mm sockets and a screwdriver and ur pretty much set

gap em to about .8mm

Don't put iridiums in your skylines peeps unless your content with stock turbo n not too much boost otherwise they can cause problems and mis-fire... platinums or copper plugs are the only way to go if you want some decent hp, i found that out after 2 sets of iridiums lol!

Don't put iridiums in your skylines peeps unless your content with stock turbo n not too much boost otherwise they can cause problems and mis-fire...

You have got to be kidding

the only way iridiums will cause mis-fire is if you have the wrong ones/wrong gap

I was putting down well over 400rwhp with them no probs (HKS3037S56T running up to 1.8 bar) - much better than copper, and platinum too imo, both of which didnt seem to like much over 350rwhp

If you are using your car mainly for street, use a 6 or 7 heat range, gapped to 0.8mm (plug BCPR6EIX, or BCPR7EIX), if you thrash your car hard, or running serious mods go the iriway 8.

Once you go colder than 8 heat range, you can have some difficulty on cold starts, and the plugs can foul pretty easily - so best avoided unless you are building a track car, and dont mind having to pull the plugs and clean them from time to time so it can start :) 8 heat range however is fine, I have been running them in my daily now for well over a year, on and off the track, and they dont skip a beat.

If you can only get BCPR6/7EIX-11, they are gapped to 1.1mm and should be gapped down to 0.8, do it gently or you can stuff the iridium coating.

Learn to do it yourself and save money.

There is however something to be said for being able to afford get others to do it for you.

The right copper plug correctly gapped will last along time. It will produce no less power.

However if you are paying someone to do the changing for you and factor that into the overall cost the platinum /Irridiums end up cheaper in the long term.

Steve,

lots of people including myself have used the copper plugs in RB's making more than 400rwhp. Might have been a dodgy plug or two? No argument about the irridiums doing the job for you, if it aint broke don't fix it as they say.

I listended to my tuner and he prooved his point with the spark plugs, but if they are working for you then thats good! I had them new, then gapped and they then another set the same and they just wouldn't work for me unfortunatly. As said above if it aint broke dont fix it hehe