SAU Community

Boost Gauge Mount

munchstagea

Hi Guys,

Mounted my boost gauge on the weekend without drilling holes in the dash or using double sided tape that could let go or make life too easy for smash and grabbers...

gallery_8679_1264_5381.jpg

gallery_8679_1264_74714.jpg

Bent up a strip of aluminium, drilled some holes, used the park-break release screw to connect it to the dash (more sturdy than I thought it would be), wired up and ran the vac line out the door.

I am going to run the vac line through the firewall as it is a little short to run over to the left of the wheel coming through the door, other than that seems all ok. Might paint the aluminium strip black too, it's a bit bright at the moment...

Cheers

Luke

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, I am going to buy a holder fo my boost guage eventually to replace the sticky tape currently holding it to the top on my steering column plastic cowling.

I am not a fan of the exposed vac/power lines and it looks a little.... out of place on a sleek stagea.

Id go the route of most others and put it in the empty din slot (if you have one)

64cd.jpg

I since moved the gauge to the right hand side to see it better.

PS. You have a very shiney steering wheel.

I wish I had a spare din! Well sort of... No I don't have one (TV in the way) and If I did I think that is a better solution for neatness, still not as easy to see as almost being integrated into the cluster but not too bad.

I plan on re-routing the lines down behind the bracket when I put the vac line through the wall so it will get neater.

Cheers

Luke

I dunno, mounting it in the middle of the steering column works for me, it doesnt block anything on the dash, bar a tiny bit of the tacho, mainly 0k-2krpm, so it sits there nice.

Once I get a proper holder I'll take some snaps, just looks dodgy as all hell just stuck there with sticky tape :wave:

i fitted mine in the same place as Alex, on the right hand side tho

... used a mounting cup to secure it the original double din bracket

... then cut a piece of 6mm MDF to fit the area and cut out the whole for the guage to appear thru

... carpeted the MDF and fitted it in place, adjusted the guage so it sits flush with carpet

VERY SMOOTH FACTORY LOOK FINISH!!

and still room on the left side to fit another guage later if i want to.

Can post some pics if anyones interested .

will say tho not the best place if you really want to monitor it as its not easy to just glance at it and get an exact read ... replacing it with the turbosmart e smart boost controller/ guage tho so digital read outs from there would be awesome , great place to keep the stealth look too :blink:

Edited by STAGE-A

mine is a manual series 2 so mine fitted nicely in the recess where you guys have your park brake lever

Cool. How do you rate the Apexi T/T? Has anyone tried to steal your Stag because of the Apexi?

whats the go with pillar mount gauges are they illegal?

I dont have a free din space on mine and dont want to put it on the steering column once I go manual I might move it into the handbrake release position but for now I need to find a location of where to put it

I think a boost gauge needs to be within line-of-sight of tacho (and maybe road) its the kinda gauge you wanna watch relative to rpm. A nice pillar mount would be good, but I wouldn't wanna drill holes in my A-pillar, a pod stuck with adhesive might be good. Or a steering column pod would be even better for a small gauge, has anyone seen these? Would R33 one fit? (If they are produced?)

mine is a manual series 2 so mine fitted nicely in the recess where you guys have your park brake lever

Yeah that is where my timer/boost gauge is, and I cant see it for shit.

I agree with Spammeoff, boost gauge should be as close as possible to the other gauges within the line of sight. Which is why I mounted mine on the top of the steering column, as it really sits well there, easy to read and within line of sight of all other gauges on the dash.

I personally would not like A-Pillar gauges, mainly because they are too far away from looking straight ahead for my liking, and being a tall person, they infringe on the amount of space needed for me to exit the car without bashing my head on them, as I have driven a car with an a-pillar 2 gauge setup. DIN gauges are just useless to me as I really do not want to look so far, try to focus and then read the tiny writing and then try to look back to the road ahead.

Cool. How do you rate the Apexi T/T? Has anyone tried to steal your Stag because of the Apexi?

I rate my wifes one pretty highly, the AF reading is pretty neat. If your Stag has the silver finish on the surround the Apexi timer is exactly the same colour, almost looks factory.

Edited by RBNT

a pic of mine, in my line of view it is directly in front of the stark-white bonnet, and does not impede 1mm even on my view of the road, perfectly safe and simply impossible for my head to hit it if ever Im in an accident, unless my head was distorted like a melon in said-crash.

DCAM0008-1.jpg

note too, a picture I simply lable "the mess"; its where all the good work flows from :P

post-18854-1153386696.jpg

i have not had any problems with people tryin to steal my car cos of the turbo timer as most people wouldn even know what the thing is up here.

and as for not bein able to see it clearly? the pic that i took to show where it is was taken from the normal seating position that i use.

it is easily seen and very clear from where i sit in the car cos i am a bit of a short arse, it i salso a good spot in my opinion as you cannot see it from outside the car.

most people wouldn even know what the thing is up here.

Or even here in Sydney half the time. some of the kids at work have been trying to be cute of late,calling my car a volvo. I just laugh,and remind them of who's more likely to get pulled over. me in my 'volvo wagon' ,or them in their slammed swifts and integras,with chrome rims and loud exhausts...

the car was recognised (more or less) in a maccas carpark last night though. sitting having a sundae on the way home late last night,four young guys walking out were looking at the car as they walked past. I overheard "I've never seen one of those before",followed by "yeah,GTR wagon...". he was closer than most.

Justin...

Hey Tangles, how have you attached your boost gauge up there? I wouldn't mind doing the same!

well its an Apex'i boost guage, with holder...... using simple double sided foam sticky 'tape' to hold it down; doesnt budge, can be lifted off with some effort, and doesnt leave residue marks afterwards. The original Apex'i tape was Strong, this current stuff is just from a normal auto store.

I got mine in the same place as tangles, but i got a $15 black plastic speco 52mm cup from supercheap, & some split tubing to run the vac line & power down. looks pritty good to me & it's just held down with double sided tape.

post-20653-1153572443.jpg