SAU Community

Good Or Bad Idea?

Noel

Hey guys & gals

I will hopefully be getting my hands on an r32 wastegate actuator in the near future so obviously i want to put it in...Problem is cashflow so the car is stock as a rock atm so no exhaust nothing...If i were to get my hands on a GTT SMIC & throw that in would it be safe to put in the r32 actuator & run a constant 10psi or will i be causing damage & will NEED a FMIC & Full exhaust before i can safely run 10psi

Thanks

Noel

Edited by Noel

Your not really going to gain a lot be doing this before the other mods anyway. The turbo will have to work harder to produce boost so there is more chance of turbo failure than if the exhaust and intercooler where installed. It probably is safe but if it were me id wieght.

I know where you might be able to get a GTT intercooler PM me if you are interested.

cheers

what leech said- ur best spending ur money on a good turbo back incl. hi flow cat system and panel filter such as K&N, put the boost up to 9psi then is suggest a fmic since u can pick up a kit for bugger all these days unless u wanna have more stockish looking then go smic, but the good ones start to get a bit expensive, bleed valve to 11psi and shold be sweet

ben...

Scrap the bleedvalve, get a ball and spring boost controller from the Mark through the forums or his ebay shop. $30-something bucks.

I have the GTT cooler, stock exhaust, and controller running a constant 7psi. Going up to 9-10 psi when the exhaust gets sorted, and after I mount a temp probe in my intake system.

What you want to do should be perfectly fine for winter, but it's during summer that you will want to make sure you aren't getting excessive knock and high intake temps.

leave the smic for now.

Take the inner wheel well plastic off behind the exsisting factory intercooler, it helps air flow through it.

As others have suggested a good exhaust is a nice first mod. It might even increase fuel efficiency.

I run a gtt SMIC, turbotech boost valve set at 11-12psi no probs :miner: And yes i live in sunny hot qld.. and my job takes me 1000's of km per month in my car, and yes i know 12psi would be the limit to this setup, just make sure you check ur afr's after upping the boost and remember to control boost with your foot (ie: my car never sees full boost under normal driving)

Hey guys, thought i ask in here b4 i make a topic.

Atm i got full exhaust (spilt dump/front pipe), apexi pod n sheild and boost set at 0.75 bar. Stock 33 cooler

I get boost spike up to 0.8 bar, which seems ok i guess (10psi) but today for some strange reason for the first time it boost spiked a tad over 0.9 bar.

Car didnt feel any different, but now my concern is if this is healthy.

Will turn boost down tomorrow and see if it still does it.

I checked all vac lines this arvo and seemed fine.

Afr: tad over 12 at 400rpm, then right down to 11 or so rest of rev range.

Guess my car is running rich.

Your thoughts??

turn boost down straight away?

But at times i think my stock ecu is running to rich in 2nd gear as it feels restrictive at times. 3-5th are very smooth and feels like constant boost right thru rev range.

2nd gear still pulls hard, but i feel like a lag at times.

COuld be just ecu not up to it now.

But anyways best option for me is just to turn the boost down till i get a fmic atleast..

Edited by siddr20

Careful sidd - 0.8 is close to 12psi.. you'll be fine though

Anyways - you'll be fine on 10psi..

My car is stock e.g. stock SMIC & the rest :( i'm running 9/10psi (spikes on quick boost delivery)..

Never missed a beat, just don't run it non stop without letting it cool as that's when your exhaust temps get high..

With a R34 GTT SMIC you should be even safer..

Try it out - see how you go.. if you get hesitation, lower the boost a bit..