SAU Community

Help: Legal Headlight Colour 4000k Blue Etc

Depends on the type of bulb too. You get the halogens with like xenon gas inside them, or those bulbs that are simply coloured blue as if they are covered in celephein (sp?). The latter are alot more expensive and a total rort.

in the phillips range the blue vision is the bluest legal. the crystal and diamond vision aren't. the bulb has to be adr approved. so there may be some the same colour as blue vision but not be legal. i think blue vision are about 4000k. the crystal vision are 4300k.

the other thing is that the blue vision are only the same strength as a standard bulb, and crystal are dimmer. it also depends on if you are going to colour or ability to see. if you want to be able to see well then go phillips 50+. they are much brighter than standard bulbs.

Edited by mad082

commonly 'xenon' just means a halogen bulb with xenon filler gas rather than another noble like argon. xenon lets them wind the filament tighter and produce a brighter, whiter light for the same wattage.

An HID conversion is upwards of $1k, so legal issues aside it's out of the price range of most people.

if you want to be able to see well then go phillips 50+. they are much brighter than standard bulbs.

word like a motherf**ker. ANY bulb which is blue tinted MUST cut light transmission. I've only tried 1 brand of "cool white" globes and the lighting quality was abysmal. Yes it was "cool blue" but it was also about 1/3 as useful as a regular globe. I ripped them out and put Plus 50's in, WAY better.

Anyone who uses blue tinted headlight globes is a fool. Tinted parkers so that they match the colour of your headlights is one thing but for safe forward illumination you'd have to have rocks in your head to go backwards in light intensity.

Kinks and mad082. Spot on the money. When it comes to lighting, it is one of my interests. Very well explained.

I will just add a couple things. White gives the illusion that it's brighter. E.g. if you get a globe and give it 6 watts, it'll have a yellow dull glow, then whiter, whiter whiter as you add more power.

That's why peopel put the white bulbs in and think the're brighter (disregarding that people think white looks nicer).

Secondly, a very good way to increase lighting is to relay the stock headlights. Mine measured 11.1 volts before relaying them. at this voltage, they only emit about 60% of the potential lighting. After relay, they get 13.8 volts. noticeably brighter.

Yep, relaying is also a good trick. I haven't measured my lights but if I put Plus 50's in and they're still not bright enough I'll look into it. I'm still running the factory original globes AFAIK (and my headlights could use a polish!).

I'm running both 6000k HID's for my low beams and jsut philps crystal visions for the highs. I'm not sure if it's so much the colour that woudl distract the police at first (taking into account it's not overboard) but i woudl say it's mor important if you do a HID conversion to make sure your lights are properly angled. My HID's are so bright and when i first installed them alot ppl flased ect...... now after beign readjusted they seem fine and i hardly ever get flashe. No police trouble...... btw i find the phlips crystal visions look bluer then the 6000k HIDs.