SAU Community

What Were You Looking For When You Bought Your Car?

Nizmo

Hi guys and girls,

As you probably know im trying to sell my car and its been on the market for a while now and I was just wondering what you were all looking for when you bought your car?

Was its low kms / appearance / no crash history / had to have an 8 in the rego number? What was the shopping list of must haves?

For me well it had to be black, kitted, i was a bit of an ricer back then so appearance kinda ruled over all.

whats with the GENUINE km's thing though - not my fault the person before me tried to wind the odo back. That's the thing i seem to get punished for in my car. R33's are 13 years old - no such thing as genuine low km's on an 13 year old car.

rant over.

Good condition inside and out ( I look for a car that doesnt smell like an ash tray inside or smell like wet socks ) KM's.. pffft to that it means nothing.. a car with 60'000ks on it could have been trashed and a car with 170'000ks on it might have had gear changes at 3000rpm all its life! + these are import cars, the clocks been played with dont fool yourself! The other things I look for: A clean engine bay * if its to clean I wonder if they are tring to clean up oil leaks, I also check it has the things I'm looking for: exaust, rims, gauges.. doesnt mean I wont buy it because I enjoy doing the mods myself and seeing the performance upgrades. I often look for a car thats been well looked after.

Nizmo, im sure you will sell your car!

when i went looking for my r33,

km really didnt matter to me, if the car had been keep in good condition, km really didnt matter for me.

also i was looking for abit of mods like exhuast/filter/fmic etc and also a nice kit to make it look better.

i think you just got to wait for the right buyer :mellow: which can take way too long sometimes

good luck niz :)

Nizmo where are you selling it?

What sites do you have it on?

drive?

carsales?

autotrader?

A good thing to put into an advert is the 'possiblity' of shipping to the eastern states.

www.movingcars.com.au can give an estimate on the price to put the car on a truck (perhaps not something you would do, but might get you that deal) Roughly $550 from Perth to Melbourne...

Majority of Eastern staters use drive.com.au. Its only $9.90 for a basic advert...which sold my (don't laugh) PT Cruiser and bound for VIC 2 days later... bought sight unseen!!

Hi Kylie

Its on Carsales & Autotrader ..... considered putting it in drive.com but i handle all the net enquiries on the cars at work (i work at a car dealership) and there's far more come through carsales than drive .... but maybe consider putting it on there too.

Im in no real hurry as I have my company car its just i find it weird what some people find important - the rest of the car is immaculate apart from this hiccup with the odo. Also a lot of people don't seem to want to drive to ellenbrook to see it. If i was interested in a car i wouldn't mind the drive to go see it.

No crash history... or if it has had a minor acident that it was repaired properly.

Drives well, no rattles or strange noises.

Service history/Owner that knows his shit

The car I bought had a manual conversion so its fairly unlikely it was thrashed hard in japan. That and the R33 box they put in it was a big plus for me. Engine ran well and still does its 10.5L/100km like when it was new. It had a few dints from people whacking it with car doors but overall it still in great condition.

Make sure you get it detailed though or detail it yourself. Doing a proper claybar -> polish -> wax does wonders for the paint and makes it shiny as hell.

Specifically wanted an R32 GTR. I just jumped in with my GTR purchase, but it soon turned out to be a good choice. I was generally looking for a good example of a GTR and mine just had a rebuild ($7000 of receipts) was well looked after, reasonable kms and was a 1993 model. No major mods and no boost controller also :mellow: (Although it does have now :) )

I found my auto R33 to be very hard to sell. 4yrs ago I couldnt even get $14K for my modified R33 GTS-t.

I could only put it down to be an auto....

It seems 95% of potential Skyline owners, want the 5spd......

Those chasing an auto, GENERALLY dont purchase to modifiy or go fast.

The above is a very general statement, Im not saying everyone who wants an auto doesnt want to mod and go fast, but the majority that do, would prefer a manual.

p.s Sedans are equally as hard to sell, based on the hard time my mate had selling his....

Edited by _8OO5TED_

Has to have a nice interior...no point on having a you-beaut paint job and then opening the door to find a rubbish dump. Engine should run nice too :mellow:

km's dont mean a great deal...

Also, if you are worried about the odo...maybe you could try to locate a Nismo dash...that way it wont be tampered with...one less thing someone could pick on...

Good luck with the sale :)

Niz,

The issue I think you might have is that it's an auto with a heap of fruit. Most guys looking for the mods you have want a manual, most girls (not counting you and Liz etc) who will buy an auto might not want all the mods....

It's a good price for all the mods, but with an auto box and accident history it might take a while to move... What will yards offer as a trade in price?