SAU Community

Oil Catch Can

STAGE-A

Hi everyone,

I was just having a look to find the best spot to fit the catch can ... i jus dunno, has anyone here fitted one and also ive searched for how to fit and noticed there seems to be 101 ways to fit them .. is there a good simple legal way to fit them ?

Any pics would be awesome!!

Cheers

Lee :(

I have also been considering fitting one, but like you have no idea where it will fit nice and neatly, and i want it legal but i dont want hoses going from here there and every where

k i found an article on the "correct " way to fit a oil catch can in HPI.

Find the that hose that goes from the cam cover to the inlet pipe just before the turbo. The catch can and hose replace this hose (Cam cover hose to catch can, catch can hose to inlet pipe)..... sounds very simple can anyone confirm this is correct as ive seen so many different setups ..is there any difference in setups apart from venting to the atmosphere?

And still trying to find a good spot to locate it ...surely someone else has one?

Also bout the reason for one ..RICE!! hahaha nah JK i was advised to get one. I had a bit of oil seaping thu after i turned the boost up. As ive just upgraded the turbo and will be looking at higher boost levels it seems like a good cheap safe option.

And as mentioned, the real reason isnt so much for what you see on the outside of the engine but on the inside .. An oil catch can removes oil, moisture and blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build up in the intake system and engine to keep them clean.

So i think for under a $100 its a great investment.

If i find the perfect spot, ill post up some pics ...if anyone has already found it pls post pics too

Cheers

Lee :P

Yes I only just recently found out what these were for too.

I too have oil lining my intake piping so if anyone has pictures of one installed or how to install I'd love to see these pics also. :no:

i would be asking sk, but i dont think the setup is quite as simple as how you have stated.

I dont mean to be rude, but there is a bit more to it than that, i did fit one to my old car without doing any blocking of the pipes by running hose here there and every where but in the end i took it off as it was more of a pain than anything.

Sorry to be sounding negative and i hope i am wrong as i would like to fit one myself, but from my understanding it wasnt quite as simple as that.

Simon

cheers mate,

nah thats not rude id prefer to find out now rather than after ive done it ... i got the info from HPI after a guy wrote in and asked the correct way to fit an oil catch can to a R33 skyline. HPI are not the bible tho so any good advice and experience are more than welcome..

surely cant be too hard tho i got 1x can 1xhose and some fitting screws and stuff ahahaa almost shameful to ask what to do with it hahaha :no:

Oh ok no worries then, when i installed on my last car i used a thread that i found on this site, i fitted to an rb20 so i assume it cant be too much different.

I hooked mine up the right way but probably not the best way, and im definately not saying that there is only one right way.

Edited by FLYSLY

mines in the only spot i could find and i dont know whether rb25 engine bays have room here but its a good little spot. its next to battery and fuse box, i got the catch can made from a local shop to my dimensions and looks a treat and fits perfect. im not sure if rocker cover breathers come out in suitable spots for that location. i put a drain from catch can back into the sump on mine but u need a fitting welded onto sump to do it, or make a tee peice into your dipstick tube for the return hose. its not vital but saves having to empty it ever, though a good engine shouldnt pump oil through except maybe a fine mist when on fullboost.

as u can see i had to slide my battery over towards the drivers side gaurd abit but its still mounted using factory battery clamp and all so its not hard to do.

post-25698-1155894288.jpg

Edited by CruiseLiner