SAU Community

R32 Gts4 Rear Diff Compatabilty

OREX

Hey guys,

My GTS4 rear diff has started whining at all speeds, getting louder as speed increases. I've been told it could be bearings, or washers etc. but have been quoted up to $1000 for a rebuild.

I placed an ad in the wanted section asking for a used rear diff, but as the gears are 4.375 I'm told they are not the same as the more common GTST or even GTR gears.

So now what I need to know is do any other skylines, stageas, cefiros etc come out with a similar diff, so i can widen my search?

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers,

George.

The diff ratio in the gts4 is unique (across the r32 range).

How do aftermarket mechanical diffs comapare on price?

Also, I think you can change the ratio of a diff fairly simply... but I could be wrong.

keep us posted on what you do. I for one would like some options when my diff finally goes...

Damn it man, unique diff gears? How typical! I've been quoted on a Kaaz mech diff, didn't specify 1 or 2 way, for $1050. I seriously doubt it will be the same gears as the GTS4 then, probably meant for a GTST replacement.

ebola, I like your idea of changing ratios in the same housings, but again, no one I've spoken to has a clue how to quote me on it. I rang one dude "Blind Elk" recommended but he wasn't sure he could fix it. Running really low on options, looking to be cheaper and easier to do a GTR gearbox/diffs combo swap etc.

...I've been quoted on a Kaaz mech diff, didn't specify 1 or 2 way, for $1050. I seriously doubt it will be the same gears as the GTS4 then, probably meant for a GTST replacement.
I thought that was the centre only - you need to attach your crown wheel and pinion.

So basically what you're both saying, is that I take my diff centre out and swap in a 32 GTST centre, but bolt my drive shafts back on etc and it will be the same ratio?

I thought there was a difference in the gears/number of gear rotations themselves inside the diff centre. If anyone's got an easy way to explain it I'd appreciate it, as I've been offered std. 32 GTST diffs for $330 from a wrecker, so if I can swap parts etc. it will be easy as hell!

Duncan, if the noise is in my crown wheel, then what happens?

When you open up the (replacement) diff and remove the centre, it will have a crown wheel attached to it. Undo the bolts and remove the crown wheel. Then do the same with your current diff.

Now bolt the crown wheel from your current diff onto the centre from the new diff, and install that centre in your diff housing.

Since you still have the same gears, you have the same ratios.

(It will all be really obvious when you do this)

If it's a problem with the crown wheel and / or pinion, then you are in deep doo-doos. It's probably a trip to the bank to extend your mortgage so you can buy a new set from Nissan!

Considering thats one thing on my GTS4 that actually is OK (I prey) :mad:

what is the best lubricant to put in there to keep it that way and avoid noise/wear problems?

Thanks a lot for that info Blind Elk, I'm going to look for a GTST diff now, is that all I need to do the swap? And also, how will I know if my crown wheel/pinion is damaged?

TurboX- I'm told I should use some oil called "Redline Shockproof" I know nothing about it but a lot of people said to use it.

so, quick question... in my R32 GTS-t, the diff is a bit whiney... so what you're saying is i can get a diff centre from something like an R32 GTR, or R33 GTST/GTR or even an R34 and it will bolt up? do they all have the same amount of splines for the driveshafts, physically the same size etc?

Guys I've now seen the R200 short nose with five single bolts, or three double bolts (make sense?)

Are they the same stuff inside, so i can use either R200 with my original crown wheel (assuming it's not stuffed) and pinion gear?

Let me know if I've got it wrong again.

Cheers,

George.

Yeah there are differences with the axles.

So, check out if you have the 5 or 6 bolt holes (GTR are 6 not sure about any other ones.) Then you match the axles to the # of bolts on your car and the number of splines in the diff centre you need to use.

As long as it all matches you are in business....but sorry I'm not sure which cars have which driveshafts, axles or spline counts....someone should do an FAQ about it all one day