SAU Community

The Automatic Performance Thread

Mine now has a full 4" inlet to it, about 6" straight.... top mount might get 10" .....

One thing i didnt mention with mine is an ongoing problem also, is the crap boost responce... as in only 10psi at 4700 rpm ! Its going by 4800 when driving it.... and i noticed on dyno it was around this late coming on just looking at it .... and my data verifies this. (turbo guy says should be going by mid 3000's easy)

Better Boost controll will make this better, however, my car has been very flat low down from the beginning really....

So , pulling cam covers this weekend , probably after drags , to see whats in there and do some measurments and go from there. It never ends. :down:

Gary

Gary mine was very slow to make boost also

I did that test where you block up the intake system and hook up a compressor to it

that picked up a boost leak

and I also put some more preload on the actuator

and now the boost response is 100% better (full boost at 3500) IIRC it was at 4300 before the adjustments

are you running an external gate or internal??

External 45mm Tial now. Boost response never changed from internal to external. I made up a 4" ss pipe with a stainless dome and bolted into place of air filter, and found PCV hose cracked... and another pipe unbunged, but it made no difference.

God, i would be over the moon to get 3500 full boost ..... Its pretty much been crappy since i got it, even all stock i could never get it to stall as high as most guys were saying there's would go to ......

The cam pulleys all line up correctly, however i remember reading , perhaps R31Nismoid mention that the VCT is adjustable or moveable on the rear somehow..... so need to look at it.

I know with my VCT, its pretty much a waste of time having it off (no power to sol).... i switch it on at 1500. With it off i can barely make ANY boost on stall....... Its pretty much seems to just make it idle a TAD smoother.

I dont switch it back off anymore, used to at 6000, but was getting wavy power lines, and saw URAS mention to set it higher to stop wavy power...... (rev lim 7K on mine anyhow)

So i'll chase this down , as it may affect TIP as well....before i go changing turbines and A/R's chasing top end.

Anyone know the std cam specs so i can check ???

Gary

Edited by Fastrotor

2rismo,

No i dont think so mate... its a screamer and i can hear when it starts to crack, at about 7-8 psi ... I make 10psi by 4700 !!!! on a To3 Stage 3 with .63 A/R ...

Just checked cam timing, and all good.... see my VCT thread. So , im not sure whats left.... I've measured most things !

One thing i will do is plumb in the second 100psi sensor this arvo and log the fuel pressure to be sure... even though a gauge on there now seems fine...it could be out of cal, plus mech gauges wont see sharp small spikes.

Also, hopefully my auto controller works tonight, i added filtering to the tps input so line pressure should now be stable. Auto shenanigans is one of my last hopes.

Going to drags tonight, so at least see where the car is at...

Gary

let me know how you go tonight gary

when the boost gauge hits 7-8psi does it go slowly to 10 or does it keep going at the same rate

mine used to rocket to 7 then build slower to 14psi

now it just stays at the same pace all the way to 16psi

maybe the gate is opening early

Nick is that for real

it doesnt add up 83 mph for that time (should have been around 15.0)

and you did 14.2 at 165.65Kph are you saying you were 30kmph slower but 1.1seconds quicker

Did crap Peter.... best of a 13.2@108 2.3sec 60'

However, i found out why i was having to run high timing with the new G4. I was still timing it off the loop, and with wastespark it seems to trigger early, so timing it off a plug lead (custom short one i got made up specially for the job) and voila... 12 deg retarded..... so i set it to 0 off the plug lead and then just pulled out same timing off top end maps .

So technically it should have worked fine, but power was down, boost was down and needed the duty cycle increased to get it to 20psi...... so should get on dyno tomorrow to check it all out.

Auto controller worked well this time.... i need to lower the torque reduction time on shift, as its abit long.

I think i *MIGHT* of found the problem........ using a timing light , with the timing lock on, i looked at the intake cam through the oil filler...

Switching on the solenoid (VCT) didnt make the cam move much at all...... I turned the output on permanently in the link, so i could just plug it on and off without changing revs, and it showed a SLIGHT idle change(audible), and looking really hard there seemed to be a slight movement..... certainly not 20 degrees !!!!

Im SO hoping this is the problem with sh*t bottom end lag .......... Only reason im not 100% is with wastespark , you get two pulses per cam revoloution, so the pic looks ghostly, so i won't claim it yet...... going to try with a snapon timing light so i can dial back, to bring the flash more to when the lobe is tallest...... easiest to see movement then.

Stay tuned. !

Gary

Well...... good news and bad news.....

Good news is that my VCT Actuator is not moving and therefore killing my low end power and giving me horrid lag times......

Other good news is i got power up to 272RWKW ... not bad considering 3500 Stall converter !

Bad news is that i found the limit of the 135,000 Km motors std head gasket. Blown into the coolant gallery. ..... Oh well

Not sure why the mph last sat was so crap....... oh well figure that out after i rebuild the top end.

The custom auto controller is working perfectly now though. Will have to start writing the software for full auto control now that hardware seems stable.

Oh, and i logged the piping and cooler loss , and got a max of 1.5psi (so as i though my sensors must be slighly out of cal)

Gary

Fuel was just 98, no wynns .. must edit that one day... oh and its obviously a 6cyl :)

dyno2.jpg

MAP2 is manifold, MAP1 is off turbo front cover.

dyno2.jpg

Edited by Fastrotor

A Shift kit replaces your valve body in the auto with one modified to increase line pressure, and to reduce the time betweer shifts (ie firmer and faster) . This helps alleviate slipage and gives you the lighting fast changes instead of the drawn out sluggish changes most have with a std auto in a car with extra power.

Gary

Damn, i stuffed my thread above, posting same pic twice and not the dyno chart..... and since i cant edit it anymore...... here is dyno chart

You can see how shi*tful my boost response is with the VCT not turning on down low......

dyno1.jpg

Edited by Fastrotor

Ah just so it lined up with all my other runs over the years. I did do a 3rd gear run without the lockup to try it, and it was fine, same power . So slip isnt a problem, is that what concerns you Darren ?

Didn't get a chance to run in 3rd with lockup on before head gasket went.

Gary

Just ordered a cometic head gasket and some ARP head bolts, be here friday. I'll get head off friday, and its already booked in for monday to get skimmed. Gotta add exhaust cam gear to order first thing tomorrow. Hopefully running by end of next week. !

Gary

Got the head off finally this arvo, holy crap what a pain in the arse job.... the head itself is fine,,, its removing all the other crud off the side of it !

The gasket at No6 is blown bad.... other than that it all looks good, no scenes of destruction , yay !

Heads booked in to be skimmed tomorrrow. Anyway, some pics for you guys.

Nice clean inlet port

IMG_1508.jpg

Cyl 6 inlet port with blown headgasket, can you tell the difference :)

IMG_1510.jpg

Its obvious which plug is No6

IMG_1522.jpg

The Culprit !!

IMG_1592.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got it all back together and running. I've really got to replace that stupid fuel pump asap. Yeah im lazy. I have wired in Fuel pressure sensors and oil pressure sensors now as well as the Turbine inlet sensor so i will have alot more data to keep an eye on for probs in future. I also want to plumb the stupid screamer pipe back in asap also, its pissing me off, on dyno and road.

Anyway, the .82 housing as expected lost power everywhere over the .63 except top end. But im not jumping off a bridge just yet until i get boost control sorted. The Link G4 doesnt have active boost control yet, supposed to be coming out in next firmware...... but im thinking of just getting a gizzmo for now, sick of waiting and its a real pain.

So Fix Boost control, Fix fuel pump running out of puff and being possibly erratic, and fix screamer. Then i'll start playing with cam timing on exhaust.

Anyway, the result was 316 rwkw , but this was gained mainly by playing with the VCT. Was 282rwkw with VCT on fully, found best crossover at 5500 rpm (6000 best but needed time to engauge) ... this gained 30+ rwkw !..... but practically useless since its over 6000 rpm..... on a 7K limit car ! The graph was still going up so if i could rev it more, probably another 15 in it. But i won't be tempted since its still stock.

If i cannot bring up the mid with exhaust timing and proper boost control, i'll swap back to the .63 and play more. Fix all the stupid crap i should have done ages ago then i'll see how it goes.

Gary

rb20 actuator (10psi)

3" turbo back with catco cat

pod

r34 SMIC

167.5rwkw

little update:

forgot to mention it had a GTR Bov on there before as well.

installed and tuned a SAFC2 at RE customs. now putting out 195.7rwkw. pretty happy. boost is creeping up to 11psi and back down again through the rev range

forgot to mention it had a GTR Bov on there before as well.

Can you tell me what the difference is running a GTR Bov? Cheers.