SAU Community

Leather Retrim Install

MANWHORE

So far I have installed the top section of the rear seat now. The way that I found that I could get it the tightest is if I hooked the top over the back section, then started working down with the little white strings.

I have found an issue in relation to the bottom section. Around the seat belt holes, there is onyl a single line stitch. The end stitch will be the weakest link. It basiaclly has begun separately by itself. I've tried to stitch it, but i'm bad at stitching. I might have to bring this issue up with UAT.

PS: Is it just me, or does this take absolutely ages to do?

It took me 6 hours to do the top section of the rear seat. But I am ultra careful.

Edited by 97r33gtst-typeM

I haven't been able to go home all week (my camera's at home). I've been doing the install where i live (student accomodation).

Ok, basically, if you look at the seat belt holes on the bottom section of the rear seat. there is basically only a single line of stitchign going in the direction of the hole, not reinforcing the edge.

When I received mine in the box, I had a look, and basically, the thread had begun to come out already, so the hole was expanding.

Basically, there should be additional stitching to reinforce it. Otherwise, when people sit there, the belt buckle moves, and it'll just rip the hole bigger.

Ok, that issue with the seat belt holes is resolved. My GF stitched it. God bless her hot little heart. She's been so helpful. Oh, and did I mention, she bought them for me as a present too :D

Guys, i worked something out. To take the side plastic trim pieces off the driver's seat and the bolster adjuster, the knob utilises circlips. Hold the knob, and push it with a screw driver, and the clip will pop off.

Guys, got another issue. with the bottom section of the rear seat on the r33, there is that metal loop. How did you guys get around it? Did you cut the cover? up down? left right?

some install tips are here from when i installed them: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=124841

also, the guy who started this thread has PM'd me with many questions that i have answered, hoping he puts them on here...

some points

- backrest does not need to be removed. the covers slide over. you have to pull them over gently, moving each side a little bit at a time

- headrests were easy to get off, but tough to get the covers over. again, pull around a little bit each time.

- the issue of headrest install and lumbar knob... its not an issue!

...firstly once the back is all installed and perfect, find the plastic part that is the hole the headrests go into. simply grab a screwdriver and poke a hole through and slide the headrest on. rembmer nothing can be seen once its installed. you are asting your time to take the plastic bits off and try to install them over the covers.. remember they are seat COVERS not a re-trim

.. secondly on the lumbar knob... all you have to do is again locate the knob under the cover then cut a small round hole over the knob. then, simply stretch the hole over the knob. if the hole is smaller than the knob then the material will fall in behind the knob and it will look perfect.

everyone please don't PM me with questions that you have, jsut post them here and i will answer them if i can

cheers,

Warren

Hey Warren,

Just a question, in your post you say the backrest of the seat doesn't need to come off, I'm not sure if I'm useless or what but i cant seem to find anyway at all to get the bottom part of the front seat cover on while the backrest is still connected the bottom of the seat. Now my problem is i cant figure out how to do the bottom section or to pull the seat in to 2 pieces.

I undid the seat belt plug area and have got the right hand side of the backrest of the passenger seat disconnected to the bottom part, but i don't have a clue on what to undo from the other side.

And anyone with an r32 gtst , how do you pull the rear seat out, i checked the bottom seat i cant find any bolts or anything, i give it a pull up and theres a little bit of giv, but not enough to allow the bottom part of the seat to come off...

Someone please help lol. I might need someone to come out and give me a hand lol.

Who in Adelaide was invlved with the groupbuy and owns an r32?? and lives in the northern suburbs. hahahaha

Thanks

Magik32

Greg

Edited by Magik32

read my first post mate.

Basically, originally, I tried to tak ehte backrest of front seat off. But it's not needed. You DO have to take the headrest off. Wait till i get home, i'll take pics.

PS: also, you should pull those little white strings through the seat for a proper retrim job, rather than just using them as seat covers. I also used contact adhesive to glue them to the seat to make it a retrim insead of just seat covers.

• 1 year later...

bringing up an old thread. just got me a set of these seat covers and are giving it ago. can you please explain in a bit more details what im supposed to do with the white and black strings? should i sew them through the seat? i have no idea. any one else have any installation pics from previous GB's? couldn't find much through search.

cheers

• 3 months later...

Hey guys did my custom interior the other weekend,

Here's some pics for you to enjoy of My R33 GTS-T Skyline.

Any Q's post them here and I will do my best to help

Edited by GTR Skyline

• 1 year later...