SAU Community

Gt35 40 Big Lag?

xxx_25L

hey guys,

i was looking at buying a gt35 40 for my r33 and just wondering is ity going to have big lag ay i only have a fmic, xorst, airfilter and walbro pump, im planing to go biger injcectors computer but how will it run stock? i dont want it to have heaps of lag.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what ive hurd on here you would be looking at about 4000 b4 boost

Consider the GT3540 .63? I'm sure SAU needs a guineepig. :laugh:

If you have a look at garretts turbine maps you will notice the GT35r .63 and the GT30r .82 have similiar flow/pressure values. I'm not completely sure and won't be for a long time but to myself the GT35r .63 I feel is a better option over the GT3040r .82 as the larger gt35r turbine wheel provides more shaft torque to drive the compressor.

I would be interested to see if any one has gone the gt35r .63 route over the gt3040r .82.

I'm a little scared of lag to be honest. I wouldn't go any bigger than a gt3071r on an rb25 but that also means reduced power output. :)

GT35 - .82 = boost (15-17psi) after 4500rpm or possibly even later than that,l its a 700hp turbo for gods sake.

Before that dont expect anything special and it will be quite lazy about town :)

DOnt get a GT35, get a GCG hi-flow or something similar if you want response

from what ive hurd on here you would be looking at about 4000 b4 boost

That is wright it doesnt come on til about 4000rpm i run one on my R33, ive been told you can put a smaller rear housing on it which would bring it down a bit. But for round town driving it pretty good you can still drive normally without ur BOV going off every time you go through the gears and when you want the power it comes on hard.

My .82 GT35R hits full boost (15psi) at 4600rpm.

FJ20ET stock, not mine (mine is FJ20E :P), full boost 18 psi at 4750rpm and 1 bar a 4500rpm. Mine same thing though 25 psi at 4750rpm. Running 0.82 housing.

Being a 6 with 2.5L, probs around the 4500rpm mark. Woohoo, turbos dont usually make good power till before this rpm anyways. Youll be surprised as to how nice it is. But yeah response wont compare to GCG high flow. But get a 3540 :( I love it

Im running a GT35r with .63 a/r on my rebuilt Neo Rb25 and its not laggy at all. Mind you its has been rebuilt and hiflowed by GCG but yeh i am very impressed with the response and accelaration

Im running a GT35r with .63 a/r on my rebuilt Neo Rb25 and its not laggy at all. Mind you its has been rebuilt and hiflowed by GCG but yeh i am very impressed with the response and accelaration

The Gt35r turbine wheel is too large to fit in to any of the hitachi/garrett internal housings that I know of.

I would assume you are running external gate?

The Gt35r turbine wheel is too large to fit in to any of the hitachi/garrett internal housings that I know of.

I would assume you are running external gate?

Well u must be mistaken as it is definately a gt35r in garret housings. Everything was modded. It was originally a t4 (specs unknown) and i got it rebuilt by gcg with ball bearing and hi flowed with .63 a/r. Spools up real quick

Yes running turbosmart ext wastegate and turbosmart supersonic bov (sleeper series) with an ebc on the way once it gets full tune

not taking the piss out of anyone, but i think the word 'hi-flow' really is being used quite a lot these days, sometimes for the wrong reason.

xxx_25L,

if you don't want too much lag, you can go with a GCG 'hi-flowed' turbo which will make things easier while fitting.

another option is a Garrett GT3071R with an A/R .82 exhaust housing which would be reponsive enough given the smaller compressor wheel, and plenty of flow given the A/R .82 exhaust housing.

Well u must be mistaken as it is definately a gt35r in garret housings. Everything was modded. It was originally a t4 (specs unknown) and i got it rebuilt by gcg with ball bearing and hi flowed with .63 a/r. Spools up real quick

Yes running turbosmart ext wastegate and turbosmart supersonic bov (sleeper series) with an ebc on the way once it gets full tune

So your definitely not running the usual RB style turbine housing.

It must be something along the lines of a VLT housing.

OR... have you miss-used the world 'highflow'? Highflow uses your origional turbine and comp covers.

As you are running an ext gate I think it would have been silly for GCG to machine up a T3 .63 when garrett sell a T3 .63. I think you will find it isn't a highflow but rather a good ol' genuine GT35r .63.

Got the receipt? Would be keen to see how they have worded this highflow which clearly isn't a highflow. :(

So your definitely not running the usual RB style turbine housing.

It must be something along the lines of a VLT housing.

OR... have you miss-used the world 'highflow'? Highflow uses your origional turbine and comp covers.

As you are running an ext gate I think it would have been silly for GCG to machine up a T3 .63 when garrett sell a T3 .63. I think you will find it isn't a highflow but rather a good ol' genuine GT35r .63.

Got the receipt? Would be keen to see how they have worded this highflow which clearly isn't a highflow. :)

Ok to clear up...My original turbo WAS a T04 (specs unknown - roughly rated at 450hp ) I got gcg to convert it to a gt3540r using my original housings...you comprehend???

Below - quote by Michael Ramsay from an email.

"The GT3540R core swap is about a 6 hour job, where adaptors plates need to be welded and machined and tapped to the turbine housing, and some extensive machining and modification is required.

The GT35R Conversion - Rated between 600 & 650 using customers housings.

Kind Regards

Michael Ramsay

Internal Sales

GCG Turbochargers Australia Pty Ltd

Phone:+61 2 9708 2122

Fax:+61 2 9708 2912

www.gcg.com.au

Est 1979

Edited by FSTR32