SAU Community

Wierd Gtr Problem - Help

The exhaust temp light on my gtr has been flashing sometimes for a little while now, usually when going up hills under load.

But on the way home tonight the exhaust temp light was flashing even under really light throttle between 2-3000 rpm and also a tick happens which sounds like something in the rocker gear but only ticks when the light is flashing.

Its got me stumped and pretty worried. If anyone could help that would be great.

Just started it up when it was cold let it idle for a couple of mins, revved it between 2-3 grand, no tick or light.

took it for a drive, when it gets hot light flashes and tick comes back only when light is flashing.

So i guess it cant be a rocker/lash adj prob cos it would tick all the time?

Any GTR experts out there?

Got 2 opinions. One said its pinging so i got new plugs,fuel, octane booster and retarded timing just to be sure. Still there.

Then someone whos had a fair bit experience with RBs had a look at it and said it sounds like a shim issue on the inlet side. At least it's not big end cos i was starting to think it was.

Gonna take the rocker covers off and suss it out 2moro.

well the engine light is definatley the knock warning on a PFC. But is is possible that the noise that the sensors are picking is something other than pinging.

On the other hand....if the main time you are getting it is when you are going up hill under load.....

HI MAN

THE ENGINE LIGHT IS TELLING YOU THAT YOU ARE EXCEDING 60 ON THE KNOCK,THIS COULD BE DUE TO ENGINE RESONNESS,HITTING REV LIMIT OR ALSO PINGING.MY GTR GOES TO 45 AT REV LIMIT AND IF I PUT IN MORE TIMING ADVANCE IT EASLY GOES OVER 60.GOOD LUCK FINDING PROBLEM AND PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT WAS CAUSING YOUR PROBLEM

STUART

Just checked all clearances and condition of shims. They're all within specs. I've got a nasty feeling its a big end knock and the sensor is pickin it up.

Anyway i've done all i can so i'm prob gonna take it down to Morpowa next week and let them suss it out.

Got it back from morpowa today after having it there for 2 days they reckon its a problem with number 5 or 6 piston. Probably a broken ring land or gudgeon pin issue.

I'm gonna pull it out this weekend or the next and strip it down.