SAU Community

R32 Gtr's Limits

Gday peoples!

I'm looking to buy an R32 GTR as soon as i find one I like.

There is one particular GTR that i've found which has caught my interest. The previous owner blew the engine so had it rebuilt. The engine has been rebuilt with forge pistons etc to an 800hp spec. Along with that it has a new Exedy twin plate clutch, a rebuilt gearbox (just the syncros i think), and an apexi power fc.

I have a concern that the turbo's maybe on their way out so have contemplated a turbos/injectors/fuel pump/air flow meter upgrade to take some advantage of the strong motor. (It already has a large trust intercooler)

I guess one of my questions is, how far can one push the standard setup? How much boost can you run before you risk the turbos, or risk the motor by starving it of fuel?

What expectation should i have on the standard injectors and fuel pump to deliver fuel? Even the airflow meter?

Another thing which im a little concerned about is an engine noise it makes. Apparently the noise im hearing is the forge pistons. The noise goes away (mostly) when its fully warmed up; but still, its not as quite as other RB26's ive heard. I spoke with the mechanic at the place where the motor was rebuilt, and the first thing he said when i mentioned a noisy engine when cold was "forged pistons".

All this is pretty new to me so any help will be appreciated!

Cheers!

The engine has been rebuilt with forge pistons etc to an 800hp spec.

I have a concern that the turbo's maybe on their way out so have contemplated a turbos/injectors/fuel pump/air flow meter upgrade to take some advantage of the strong motor.

Cheers!

Unless you mean its capable of 800hp with the forgies.....with 800hp you can be assured that is has aftermarket steel wheeled turbos (huge twin high mounts), injectors and a fuel pump.

With that much power it may even have a JUN 2.7L or HKS 2.8L stroker kit in it. 800hp is seriously modified.....why would you want to know if it can be pushed further :)

hey mate i brought a 32. pumped the boost up to 20 with standard internals, big injectors, cooler, exhaust, cam gears, power fc, and blew one of the turbos in one week!!! also cracked a piston at the same time. but its an old motor.... i freshened up my motor now with forged internals and single turbo setup etc. doesnt mean the motor will last, standard power and standard motor can break things but is really reliable,,,,,,, stronger internals and bigger power is exactly the same. if u abuse it cosistantly the same thing can happen. although with a new motor it "should" take it a little longer simply cause of its age.

as for the sound of forged motor, ye u can notice a slight difference (sometimes) not that dramatic though

Hey guys cheers for the responses! and so quickly!

The engine has been rebuilt to an 800 hp rating. This means that the internals have been built to withstand 800hp. Obviously to get this you'd need some serious other mods which the car doesn't have (ie turbos / injectors / fuel pump)

So what im after is some guide to how much boost you can run with stock GTR turbos / injectors / fuel pump / airflow-meter. (Or rather what boost / awkw you should expect)

And also if i was to upgrade the turbo's / fuel pump / injectors etc and try to get 300-350 kw @ wheels, is a new airflow-meter in order?

To answer your question Angus, I just want a nice powerful street car

To add more information about the rebuild, it was done by Tilbrooks in Adelaide. Does anyone know of their reputation?

considering the failure mode of GTRs is to suck the ceramic turbine dust back into the motor when the turbos blow, I wouldn't be fiddling the boost until I changed the turbos. It's just not worth the pain, especially since the motor has already been rebuilt :nuke:

considering the failure mode of GTRs is to suck the ceramic turbine dust back into the motor when the turbos blow, I wouldn't be fiddling the boost until I changed the turbos. It's just not worth the pain, especially since the motor has already been rebuilt :nuke:

Thats a great argument to give the salesman to get his price down, cheers! :D

Hey guys cheers for the responses! and so quickly!

The engine has been rebuilt to an 800 hp rating. This means that the internals have been built to withstand 800hp. Obviously to get this you'd need some serious other mods which the car doesn't have (ie turbos / injectors / fuel pump)

So what im after is some guide to how much boost you can run with stock GTR turbos / injectors / fuel pump / airflow-meter. (Or rather what boost / awkw you should expect)

And also if i was to upgrade the turbo's / fuel pump / injectors etc and try to get 300-350 kw @ wheels, is a new airflow-meter in order?

To answer your question Angus, I just want a nice powerful street car

To add more information about the rebuild, it was done by Tilbrooks in Adelaide. Does anyone know of their reputation?

u wont make 300 with standard turbos with massive psi u might, for bout 5 min at that level

with n1 turbos u will easily, so with those turbos and psi depending, injectors, cooler, exhaust power fc, cam gears, u will make 300. the only thing to stop u will be the fuel system where ull get stopped at round 360at all 4 wheel kw. and u can leave the standard air meters. they are good for big power. dont even worry bout z32 ones. keep the standard ones as long as u can. much better for street reliability.

but with a forged engine like u say u have, just do ur fuel setup any other little mods u need and go throw on a turbo or turbos that u can make some serious power with.....

300kw its good power but there are alot of other cars out there as everyday drivers who make far far far more power than that.

Edited by GTRGTR

Cheers for the reply GTRGTR

So the stock airflow meters should be fine?... Wonder why the shop suggested a new airflow meter... just take more money from me?

You mentioned cam gears. Do you mean the actual cam gears at the front of the motor (an adjustable type?) or do you mean the cams themselves? Btw, do you know how much im looking at for new cams to suit a 350kw setup and how much of a difference they make?

The car already has a power fc and a large (looks pretty meaty to me) trust cooler. I dont think the exhaust is standard, but does't really have a nice note to it. Big dolars for an upgrade?

The standard airflow meters, are they a physical rotatiing type system (lack of a better phrase) or do they use some sort of heated wire type thing that measures resistance? It would seem to me that the first type would have a physical limit on how much it can measure; hence the requirement of an upgrade

Is the PowerFC the D-Jetro version?

Also, twin plate clutches for GTR's are quite pricey new, so ask when he bought it, and if it was new or second hand when he got it

And the twin probably wont like 800 hp! So be mindful of that

:nuke:

Gday N1GTR,

I have no idea of the power fc version. What benifit does this D-Jetro version you speak of have?

The engine rebuild (which included the power fc and clutch install) was done approx 3 years ago. The clock has only done 4k since then... which does sound a little sus. I have spoken to the previous owner (as this car is being sold in a car yard), and he sounded legit. Didn't seem to have anything to hide.

But anyway.. the clutch upgrade is on the receipt for the engine rebuild (ive checked the paper work with the repairer and its real). It has a $3200 figure next to it, which seems pretty pricey to me. It feels quite heavy under the foot, but regardless, i dont plan to put 800hp through it :nuke:

I would be asking why the motor was rebuilt... and stock turbos put back on there.

Its possibly the dumbest thing you can do. So i'd be questioning the motor actually being built

And whats "specs" is this "800hp" motor supposed to have?

Id be asking for a reciept for each part to be 100% sure its actually been built and your not getting something shonky

Gday N1GTR,

I have no idea of the power fc version. What benifit does this D-Jetro version you speak of have?

The engine rebuild (which included the power fc and clutch install) was done approx 3 years ago. The clock has only done 4k since then... which does sound a little sus. I have spoken to the previous owner (as this car is being sold in a car yard), and he sounded legit. Didn't seem to have anything to hide.

But anyway.. the clutch upgrade is on the receipt for the engine rebuild (ive checked the paper work with the repairer and its real). It has a $3200 figure next to it, which seems pretty pricey to me. It feels quite heavy under the foot, but regardless, i dont plan to put 800hp through it :)

D-Jetro is a version of the PowerFC, thats all, it uses a different kind of system to the normal PowerFC

Yep clutches are quite a bit, im on my 3rd one, first a single plate, then twin, now triple.

4000k's since a rebuild 4 years ago?

Id walk away to be honest

I can sell you my car, with an 800hp motor, but the thing is, you dont know whats inside it until you take the motor apart, but then its too late :P

Some food for thought

I would be asking why the motor was rebuilt... and stock turbos put back on there.

Its possibly the dumbest thing you can do. So i'd be questioning the motor actually being built

And whats "specs" is this "800hp" motor supposed to have?

Id be asking for a reciept for each part to be 100% sure its actually been built and your not getting something shonky

Well said Ash

Definatly ask for part prices etc or whatever you can get

IMO, go buy one cheap, for like $15k or whatever the really flogged ones go for now, and spend the difference doing the build yourself, then you know its done, and done right

Hey guys, lots of feedback, cheers!

I guess i now have more doubts about this car now than i did before, thanks heaps! haha

My problem with getting a clapped out one for 15 grand then spending the money on getting it up to scratch is that it will be an awefully expensive journey...

- 15k for the car

- at least 8k+ for the engine rebuild to support more horses

- 6-7 grand on new turbos / fuel system

- 3 - 4k on new clutch

- 2k new computer

- 2k for rebuilt gearbox (might not need it)

- 2-3k? for cooler and exhaust

and then you can probably slap on another 5k just for other bits that are worn. So you are looking at a build cost of $38k at the very lowest, or more realistically $42,000+.

Ive seen "mega money spent on my show car" cars for 40,000.

The engine was rebuilt because the last owner blew it. The owner himself told me that, and this is why im concerned about the conditions of the turbos. He was probably running the boost far too high for the injectors/fuel pump (and/or the tuning) hence started melting stuff with detonation.

These are all things i need to weigh up. I should go and visit the repairer again to see if they can find more about the rebuild.

R32 Gtr's Limits....

Ceramic turbo's,

S1 oilpump Collar,

Standard AFM's

Previous owner abuse

Lot's of B/S and wannabe mechanics guessing and miss quoting figure's

R32 Gtr's Limits....

Ceramic turbo's,

S1 oilpump Collar,

Standard AFM's

Previous owner abuse

Lot's of B/S and wannabe mechanics guessing and miss quoting figure's

So the airflow meter "is" an issue?

Ill have to look up this oilpump collar you speak of. An expensive upgrade?

it can be a limit yes depending on how you go about things... without starting a tech debate on MAP sensors V AFM's people.

Hmm! the collar is a motor out thing where your oilpump contact surface is increased both on the crank shaft and pump surface .... probably apart from the Ceramic hair dryers being wound up to far the Collar is a must to attend to.

Im really going to have to find out as much as possible about this 800hp motor rebuild

I know that its impossible to actually know for sure, but is it fair to assume that those sorts of things "should" have been done on this engine to be able to give it the 800hp label? Im talking about oil pump style upgrades etc. There must be tonnes of upgrades to a powerful engine other than O-ringed / forged pistons / conrods for a rebuilder to give the engine that sort of "class".

When i say assume, im not going to literally assume they are done and go buy the car on that assumption, but are those sorts of things stardard routine for an upgrade of that calibre?