SAU Community

Stock Gtr Box

monga

my gtr will be pushing near 550rwhp soon and im concerned about the stock box i dont drive hard and will be doing a few drag runs

should i be worried?

its on pretty good condition

OS Giken cross mission gearset, or a PPG straight cut dogbox. The stock box can even last for a 1000HP, but is all a question on how you load up the gearset, do you launch big at the lights, or do some engine breakin. if you could apply load steadily, id sya it would hold a 1000HP. I broke mine with a little more than stock power ( about 350-370HP), sinc ei have built my car i have the cross mission gearset, and redline oil in it, and hast complained yet (and i abuse my car). I also run a EXEDY tripple plate clutch with full face sprung hub plates and a heavy clamp load Pressure plate.

This is great timing cause im looking at doing my gearbox aswel

OSGiken retails for 3k for the 1,2,3 set, plus fitting etc

PAR want $5500 for them to supply and fit their 1,2,3 set into my current box

Havnt got a price from PPG, but would really like to know if they're pricing is competitive or not

The OSGiken seems the way to go so far pricewise, but are they straight cut or helical like the OEM gears?

There's another thread un this same section about stock boxes being rebuilt and the prices for them are around $1200 even with some work done by the owners, so at a guess with labour included, it could be almost $2k, which to me, it a waste as it will just be a freshened up box, not a newer, tougher box, and id just spend the extra bit and go OSGiken :)

And ready for more HP.....correct?

Otherwise, why would OS make them?

......unless they're solely for changing ratios - but even if thats the case, why not upgrade at the same time ? :laugh:

I've just rebuilt my box with an OSG cros mission set. I'm seeing around 550 awhp through a 2.8L. I won't have the chance to judge for myself until I'm back in Oz early next year.

I made the choice after speaking to Leewah who runs a hell of a lot power than I ever will. He told me a while back that so far his gearbox has lived up to the abuse he has dealt it.

Dog engagement (helical or straight cut) gears will in theory take more power as the gear face can be widened to take up the space that the syncros once occupied. This comes at a price of increased noise and vibration and an alternative gear changing style, however.

Edited by Gav

And ready for more HP.....correct?

Otherwise, why would OS make them?

......unless they're solely for changing ratios - but even if thats the case, why not upgrade at the same time ? :)

Yeah, i've heard of figures around 800hp. I the Racepace GTR has around that power and runs the OS gearset...

Going through this now and im 99% set on a PPG box.

5 speed dog box with 1000hp mainshaft and they give you the option of the standard input shaft or upgraded hollinger style for the same price. Around $9000 but will hold the power.

Only downside is the noise they make.

Is $9000 what thwey quote for the PPG straight cut? i had imagined it would be like 15k. I am currently building a full drag spec engine, but i thought that a straight cut dog box would be out of the question due to the wads of cash they ask for it. I would just be using my crossmission gearbox and propbly bloow it to bits, mow i just might look into buying that gearset

My mate has a dogbox in his gtr and it sounds mean similer to a electric toy car actually i havnt herd alot about the giken stuff

just to clear one thing up. its the straight cut gears that make the whining noise not the dog engagement. they are only responsible for the 'cha-chunk-crash' as you change gears. i make this distinction as people often assume all dog engagement boxes are straight cut (not the case) or vice versa that all straight cut gearsets run dog rings (also not the case). you can occaisionaly see straight cut/syncrho boxes and some times helical cut dog engagement boxes.

for a car that does street driving an upgraded synchro/helical box is the way to go.

I've got the PAR gearset in mine, with what i believe is a very practical street option, by way of having a straight cut 1st, 2nd & third to handle the punishment & a beefed up Helical 4th but still with Synchro Engagement, they make & supply their own upgraded 1-2 synchro hub, for 3-4 the stocker is oK.

That way you have the strength but still the smooth drivability. uses your stock 5th & reverse gear.

i think he said it will handle 1000hp

sounds awesome too!! (like driving through three gears in reverse), then pull 4th & back to quiet cruising

cost was $5,600

• 2 weeks later...

just one question:

how hard is it to go into gears in low revs for a dog box?? i do a bit of street driving, so i dont really want a harsh box...noise is fine with me as the car is loud any way....

also, is there any options for street/circuit car which only has around 400awhp?? there is a thing called budget for me,lol..