SAU Community

Oil Pressure Low On My Rb20?

Hi All,

I thought i would come to the experts. My RB20 is coming along nicely with a APEXI AVC-R boost controller, fuel pump, coil packs, air induction and full exhaust system and I love the results. On the weekend however I put on a new BOV and I noticed my oil pressure idleing is just above the zero and when boosting wont go above 2 (which is a quarter of the maximum 8). Why is this and would it be due to the BOV? Also how can this be tested or fixed.

I appreciate any help as I have not come across this before.

Hi All,

I thought i would come to the experts. My RB20 is coming along nicely with a APEXI AVC-R boost controller, fuel pump, coil packs, air induction and full exhaust system and I love the results. On the weekend however I put on a new BOV and I noticed my oil pressure idleing is just above the zero and when boosting wont go above 2 (which is a quarter of the maximum 8). Why is this and would it be due to the BOV? Also how can this be tested or fixed.

I appreciate any help as I have not come across this before.

the senders normally whack out... but in my case i think my oil pump is screwed because the top end is making horrible noises.

I have an Autometer gauge which has replaced the stock oil pressure warning light sensor. It reads in PSI so i dont know if it will be any help to you but i use a 10-40 Motul oil in my RB20DET which is basically stock, on cold start i get around 60-70psi of oil pressure at idle, after around 5-10mins of driving it will read around 6-15psi of pressure at idle and rise to a max of around 45-50psi at 3000rpm when hot.

stupid question, but will pressure vary b/w oil?

i just changed my oil from a motul 4100 turbolite 10w-40 to motul 8100 xcess 5w-40 and ive noticed a pressure drop once the oil is warm. Previously it would sit close to 4 on the guage and no it doesnt rise above 2 once warm..

should i get a different oil?

engine is an rb20det btw

i got custom gauges put in, and my car on 15-50 mobil one, reads about 70 cold, and about 40 @ 3000rpm, but ideling it sits between 20-15 psi should i be worried can suply photos.

Note: mine did the whole read jsut above zero never gets above 2 thing, so i went out a put customs in

- to answer your comment, get ur mechanic to do an oil pressure test on it, and i would recommend getting aftermarket gauges, and leave the BOV out of it.

55yko

Edited by 55yko

as long as the oil pressure warning light is not illumminated, then all is ok

the stock oil pressure sender is dodgy on all nissan imports and won't give you anything even close to the correct pressure...

i recently installed an aftermarket gauge in my glovebox and find that:

when warm at idle it sits between 1-2bar

when warm and cruising/driving the oil pressure varies with rpm (can't see this on the stock gauge) and sits up around the 3-4bar area

obviously pressures are much higher when the oil is cold

gauge cost me $20 (ebay)

gauge cup $5 (ebay)

sandwich plate $30 (justjap)

not a bad investment and is hidden in the glovebox nicely :(

cheers,

Warren

My stock guage is all over the place.

Some days it reads like it should, others barly above the 0.

Its always been like that though, even with the old motor.

Quite funny actually as I've caught it going from crappy to normal.

Cruising along at 100km/h, oil pressure sitting on around .5 then all of a sudden with a sharp jolt the needly flicks up to just over 4 which is where it sits when the guage is playing nice, sat there for the next few days then decided to go gar gar again.

Wouldn't be too concerned. RB20's are cheap anyway, drive it until she starts making funny noises.

Guilt Toy.... I'd say your lifter problem was likely attributed to poor oil pressure. As I'm sure you already know. :P

Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm just going to drive the bloody thing and have a mind set that the oil pressure gauge is faulty. If it goes boom I will just chuck a RB25 in it anyway as I planned on doing next year anyway.

AHs anyone with a dodgy sender actually pulled it offm given it a clean and plumbe dit all back.I did that when i installed my electronic sensor and the std gauge has read fine for the last 2 years, prior to that it was all over the shop

hi im wondering if anyone could help me on a simalr topic?

i have a problem with my rb26 regarding with the oil pressure, everytime i hit high revs or hit boost the oil pressure goes down to 0 and the warning light will turn on.

if i drive normally without going over 4-5000rpm its ok, the pressure doesnt drop and the warning light does not turn on.

i would appreciate any help thanks.

cheers,

hi im wondering if anyone could help me on a simalr topic?

i have a problem with my rb26 regarding with the oil pressure, everytime i hit high revs or hit boost the oil pressure goes down to 0 and the warning light will turn on.

if i drive normally without going over 4-5000rpm its ok, the pressure doesnt drop and the warning light does not turn on.

i would appreciate any help thanks.

cheers,

Jesus, stop driving it on boost. High revs + no oil pressure = boom, as said above the warning light almost always does work. It could just be low on oil and getting starved under decent Gs (accel, cornering) check the level and if its really low do a change, otherwise it could be the pump itself but definately check it out before you do any more damage. Also there can be problems with excessive oil getting to the head but I don't really know much about this topic. Probably be wise to check the oil and see if theres any bearing matter in it as well (silver sparkles)

Edited by Rolls

will the engine die straight away if your on boost with no oil pressure?

or is it more of a wearing of the engine until it dies?

i think ive been hitting boost with no oil pressure

hopefully its just a tired guage