SAU Community

Workshop Drops Lotus Elise (with Pix)

uhh no

notice how on the lotus elise, the front wheels are removed, and the 350z the back wheels are removed

im guessing these mechanics dont quite grasp the basic concepts of gravity

I was talking about weight balance

its about 70/30 or 60/40 on a hoist, on a normal frount engine car the middle is about halfway down the drivers door, thats how it is at my work

looks like thyve put it on the hoist as a normal car

oh and with the 350z, it would have been balanced fine until they took the rear cradle out

weve had cars at work with no rear ends in them and havent had any problems

again its just about making sure youve got the centerpoint of balance right

Edited by racsov500

That mechanic in the picture looks like a shocked version of Chopper Read

hahaha

the owner comes in and sees the car hanging off the hoist and starts crying. chopper comes over and says...

"harden the f**k up!"

have a look at the hoist they are using (a old school hydrallic system) that they stop making in the 1970s and the pads look f**ked

but in the mechanics defence there not as easy to put up as ppl think that have a full metal pan under neath the vehicle any my workshop was a aurthised lotus dealer and they never put them up on a 2 poist hoist (they always went on the 4 post hoist that had 2 full beam arms the lenght of the 4 post hoist that had pads that slide down the beams so u could pritty much pick the vehicle up in any spot and if it did fall it would only fall 3in on to the beams

but when i did a quick stint at jaguar (porshe had just moved workshops)and the mechanics were telling me that the stupid apprentices were working on porshes they would always put the vehicle on the hoist in the wrong spot so when the motors were dropped out the car would be front end heavy and would start to topple nose down off the hoist and ppl would have to hang off the back of the porshe to even the weight so they could drop the car back down on the ground