SAU Community

R33 Gtst Smic Upgrade To R34 Smic - Results (video & Pics)

QRI05E

Hi there ...

I see, your grill is not exactly SMIC friendly :down:

No wonder you switched over to the FMIC.

If it wasn't for the good price I would have gone for the FMIC myself but I want to gain experience with the car step by step.

So the R34 SMIC seemed like something reasonable to start from. Cheap, easy to fit and modest gains (?)

(especially with the standard turbo)

My car is 99% stock and right now I'm just aiming at stage I tuning.

As for the R32 actuator I agree, however these are hard to find (I keep looking though)

Cheers and good nite ;)

Edited by Torques

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
No, you will not mate the R33 and R34 turbos are much the same except for a slightly larger exhaust housing on the R34. So unless you upgrading your turbo keep the stock GTT cooler. Its a good unit and you wont loose any throttle response to that of a large frontmount.

always good to see these cheep mods work.

cheers

I would like to do this mod. Are there other things i need for the upgrade (eg hosing & pipes of a different size) or can i use the existing ones on my stock r33?

I would like to do this mod. Are there other things i need for the upgrade (eg hosing & pipes of a different size) or can i use the existing ones on my stock r33?

Hi!

.. it's a straight plug in replacement (at least with my R33S2) ...

Everything fits except that the unit is a bit thicker/deeper so you might have to adjust the plastic mud guard a bit.

R34vsR33Smic

i have installed 34 cooler on my ceffy and on my 33 much happier than any front mount i have ever run all thou my power has never exceeded 220, had front mounts fitted on my 180 and both 32's made them feel so much heavier obviously lag but not a good feeling. !

big ups to 34smic =)

• 1 year later...

I have a 3" catback with K&N pod stock everything and did this mod this morning. Fitted in about 20 minutes tops. I had no plastic guard on the front of the cooler.

Im sure its just me, but the boost comes on alot smoother and I think maybe higher in the RPM range now. I guess things are going to lag a tiny bit more compared to a smaller intercooler and this is more of a mod to cool the air down rather than to boost HP.

Once I go do the boost solenoid mod in a minute im sure the power will change a bit. Next mods are boost gauge, RB20 10psi actuator, split aftermarket dump, hi-flow cat, CAI and SAFCII. Then that will have to do me as I want the R33 as a daily... and my EB Fairmont is the car I want to make go really fast for weekends/wednesdays =)

Wow what a difference $40 worth of intercooler and 5 minutes worth of boost solenoid modification makes... just took it for a spin around the block. I think higher psi lower in the rev range is better because I don't like revving the crap out of the engine, but I want the boost down low. I think I'm going to try set the skyline up for responsiveness and mid-rpm power.