SAU Community

Fuel guage and petrol smell

chopobo

yesterday or the day before

i started up my car and as i was reversing out i realise that the fuel guage had the needle about a cm under E

i was like WTF!!!! shit myself completely. cos i jus filled up the day before. it should be reading Full.

so i thought hrmz the everything else reads fine, engine sounds fine, guess its jus the guage. so i drive it a bit keeping it low revs and it eventually rises up to 3/4 and then later full and then when i come to a complete at lights it went down to below half. this was all withing 10 minutes i reckon.

wtf! what could be causing this. it seems to be ok now? but i dun really trust it as it jumps a bit sometimes but i assume thats from the fuel sloshing around inside.

should i worry about it? should i take it to mechanic to get it checked out?

and also sometimes when im boostin hard and turn down the windows, i get a strong smell of petrol. i checked the engine numerous times and it seems to be fine. then today me and my friend were both flat on our faces having a look at my piping till i came across to the front piping, the piping before the catalylic convertor that leads to the engine bay. well this piping has a seam along it where it was welded i guess and as i follow it towards the engine i see that this seam has been split open, about a 1cm crack. could this be causing the petrol smell?

appreciate the help

:P

Guest RedLineGTR

HAve you had the fuel filter changed before or by a mechanic. When i was doing mine the rubber pipe from below the filter was nearly about the burst and making a bubble which burst after we put on a new one. Also just make sure all the connections around the fuel injectors and fuel filter are okay. But if you can smell where or what side of the engine bay it is comming off when, doubble check the hoses.

Hope it helps. Rob

hmmm.. sounds like you're leaking petrol.. and lack of pressure leading to the guage being funny.

You really should get the problem looked at professionally, it sounds like a serious one -you don't want to be losing petrol b4 it even gets combusted. You'll get really bad performance and lots of other things if there is some leak in the fuel line.Get it checked out Chop!

i woulda thought its a leaking exhaust thats causing all the fuel smell?

do the gasses before the catalyic convertor smell alot like fuel?

it oculd be that crack

yeh im gonna get it fixed

but damn soo annoying