SAU Community

Fireing Up A New Engine

shanef

Hi guys,

Well its been 5 months since i started the Rb26/30 build & its about time to fire her up! :thumbsup:

I've got a few questions for you all, if you could give me some feedback i'd appreciate it:

1) Oiling: What process should i go through to make sure theres good pressure upon starting it (i.e priming the pump, turbo's etc) and wats the best way to go about it.

2) Will it be alrite to start the engine with just the dumps on, or should i wait until i get the front pipe made up? Reason i ask that one, is i'm putting the engine in at my place, and then towing it to the exhaust shop for the front pipe to be made, and then its off to the workshop to get tuned.

That's all i can think of now, if theres anything else i should know, please let me know :laugh:

cheers

Shane

1. Disconnect the CAS, and crank the engine until the oil light goes out, and the gauge shows pressure. Then you know there is oil around the engine, and you can get oil pressure. Then reconnect CAS and fire away.

2. Even at idle, an engine with basically no exhaust makes a hell of a racket (I know, I did it when I fitted a little L20ET to my R30).

When i get my new engine in this is what I will do.

Connect the fuel line that goes to the rail back to the return line to the tank (no fuel getting to injectors)

Disconnect the CAS

take the cam covers off - pour oil over both of the cams (not too much just to soak them a little)

take all the spark plugs out and turn the motor over untill you can see the oil light either turn off or flash a little (some oil lights stay on and do nothing)

keep turning the motor over without any compression or spark or fuel untill you can see lots of oil activity in the top end. once this is done you should be right.... (put rags around incase you get oil splashing)

When i get my new engine in this is what I will do.

Connect the fuel line that goes to the rail back to the return line to the tank (no fuel getting to injectors)

Disconnect the CAS

take the cam covers off - pour oil over both of the cams (not too much just to soak them a little)

take all the spark plugs out and turn the motor over untill you can see the oil light either turn off or flash a little (some oil lights stay on and do nothing)

keep turning the motor over without any compression or spark or fuel untill you can see lots of oil activity in the top end. once this is done you should be right.... (put rags around incase you get oil splashing)

are you looping the fuel line to stop fuel going in the motor???

if so, when the cas is disconnected your injectors wont pulse, so it will save you looping the fuel line.

cheers

Jeremy

about the exhaust part of things..

noise levels, obviously theyre going to be huge and its gona run a bit rough but who cares, wont cuase any probs.

its a bit bodgy but i drove my car down to the exhaust shop about 3kms away after a rebuils with a dodgy peice of dump pipe, sounded like a truck and went like shit but who cares if your just firin it up!