SAU Community

Series 2 33 Sedan

jlnewton

Well I sold the GTR early last year to go back to a GTST. GTRs are an awesome machine but since I like doing tracks days regularly it just became too much spending all my money on the car. I really wanted a series 2 33 sedan in manual and I was lucky enough for this example to come up in a yard on the Gold Coast. It needed work as nearly all skylines do but it was pretty clean and very straight so I snapped it up. The Nismo LM GT2 helped a bit too.

First thing I did was roll it straight to Chapman and Chapman as there were a few mechanical things that needed to be addressed ASAP. Had the full major service performed with all the usual things; timing belt, tensioners, water pump, new plugs, all new filters, etc. A few other things needed to be done also; I had the turbosmart boost contoller removed back to stock soleniod, a new sump put on as the other had a dent in it, replaced the exhaust manifold as the existing one was cracked. Mechanically the car was now given a clean bill of health and drove so much nicer. Next I chased down a stock air-box and snorkel and replaced the K&N pod with the stock box and a K&N panel filter, the noise from pod filters shits me, I must be getting old :)

Next I came across a 100mm thick SMIC out of an R34 GTT, brand unknown. Its a huge unit for a SMIC and gave a very noticeable improvement of the stock SMIC. That combined with 10psi from a turbotech boost controller, and the kakimoto cat back the car came with it was now starting to feel like a GTST should.

Next I PM'd Sydneykid and ordered shocks, springs, swaybars and pineapples through his group buy. Best money spent yet, those items combined with my Cusco rear camber arms, Cusco front caster rods and tension rod, Cusco 1-way diff, Nismo front strut brace with brake cylinder stopper, DBA slotted 4000 front rotors and Hawk pads front and rear and Nismo single plate clutch make this the easiest car I have owned to drive in any conditions, whether it be circuit, skidpan, drag, city driving or through the mountains, its a pleasure anywhere.

The car was recently vandalised so it has been fully resprayed thanks to insurnace and has come up very well. Just yesterday I bought a CES split front pipe and a metal cat so I am keen to fit them hopefully tomorrow. Not sure where I will go next, not keen to burn too much more money, the GTR has left some bad feeling with spending alot on a car again, but I am happy with were it is atm. A nice clean, practical, reliable car which I can still enjoy down at the track. . . . .

med_gallery_1841_122_52708.jpg

med_gallery_1841_122_129242.jpg

med_gallery_1841_122_2408249.jpg

med_gallery_1841_122_1793865.jpg

med_gallery_1841_122_573222.jpg

med_gallery_1841_122_77079.jpg

med_gallery_1841_122_225175.jpg

med_gallery_1841_122_162704.jpg

med_gallery_1841_122_372012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

nice ride, i have a series 1 4dr, and pulled out the stock seats as quick as i could, they are terrible!

nothing a good pair of recaros couldnt fix though :)

Series 2 tail lights for the win, whats it like on the track?

Have been looking for a pair of 33 GTR seats, recaros or brides. . . .which ever comes up first at the right price. Bracing myself with my knees at the track is getting a little annoying :)

So far I am about 1.5 to 2 secs a lap slower then my old 33 GTR V-spec with basically the same level of modification. . . . . Although I think I can narrow that gap a little as my semis where pretty much shagged and I also developed a boost leak during the last outing also which hampered me a bit. I reckon I can get it down to less than a sec different. In the dry GTRs really aren't that much quicker and I certainly use less fuel in the sedan on track days!

So far my best down the quarter is 13.93, that was before I installed the CES front pipe so I am sure I can shave a little off that too as it definately feels stronger now.

Hey Jason, where are you looking for the Bride seats and are they recliners??

Interested myself, but for the coupe, so they need to be recliners.

They are definately recliners, Bride Ergo. They turned up on Friday, should be in by this afternoon if all goes to plan :)

I was lucky enough to pick them up off a guy in the SAU forsale section, they hadn't been fitted to a car yet and came with rails. They do come up every now and then, I have just been checking the forsale section regularly, I just missed out on a pair of recaros before Christmas. . . .

post-1841-1168203479.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

They were a pest to put in. The rails that came with them were supposed to be the super-low ones but there was nothing super-low about them. Had some custom ones made up and they sit the same height as the stock seats did now, and there is no way they could go any lower. Damn that buldge in the floor on the passenger side!

But apart from that the are a huge improvement on the standard seat, heaps more support and a lot more comfortable thatn I expected. Apart from the extra cost incurred in get custom rails made up I am one happy customer :)

gallery_1841_122_29612.jpg

gallery_1841_122_31689.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
very nice

love the seats, what were they worth?

Too much :laugh:

I managed to track down one of those Nissan option grill things on the weekend. Have been scouring the for sale section, even the yahoo auction for months, and finally one came up down the Gold Coast. A good excuse to cruise down to the coast for the day. I think they look a little dressier.

gallery_1841_122_8276.jpg

It is a stock colour although after the respray it has come out a little darker than it was to start with..... errrrr, Not knowing exactly what each line is on the plate, chassis and engine are pretty easy, KN6 looks like a likely suspect for the paint code.

Sound like one??