SAU Community

Spark Plugs

_MRR33

Hey there,

Some of you may know I have a problem with my R33 at the moment, seems as though it is missing, anyhow thanks to help of people here they said either the Spark Plugs, ECU or Fuel Filter would be my problem.

Now I'm just in the process of taking the Spark Plugs out to check them, now I just want to make sure I've got the right plugs here.

They say on them:

NGK

R

PFR5G

Edited by GTS793

If your car is still fairly 'stockish'

I would opt for NGK copper BKR6E gapped at 0.78mm.

Platinum are really not worth the money. As I

presume the code you gave are platinum plugs.

Yeah, they are irridium plugs and apparently RB's don't like them too much.

Car only has the following mods:

- K & N Pod Filter

- Cold Air Intake

- Forged Pistons

- Strengthen Conrods

- Blueprinted

- Balanced

- Port Polished

- Metal Head gasket

- Spitfire Coils

- High Performance Timing Belt

- High Performance Spark Plugs

- Gready Turbo Timer

Everything else is stock, stock ECU, stock boost etc.

Use these plugs I have never had a problem

with them and so has many other R33's

In regards to your previous thread,

concerning your missing issue.

I would check your coil packs for fine hair-line

cracks, which release the current as they heat-up.

Resulting in an insignificant spark that does not

ignite the combustion chamber(s) properly.

Merry Christmass

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Nabil

Everyone is telling me different plugs, I don't know what ones to buy tomorrow ..don't want to trust Autobarn either.

I've been told use:

BKR6E Gapped at 0.78 or BCPR7ES

Hey there,

Some of you may know I have a problem with my R33 at the moment, seems as though it is missing, anyhow thanks to help of people here they said either the Spark Plugs, ECU or Fuel Filter would be my problem.

Now I'm just in the process of taking the Spark Plugs out to check them, now I just want to make sure I've got the right plugs here.

They say on them:

NGK

R

PFR5G

Is the number 11 the heat range? If so, is that right? What should it be?

Everyone is telling me different plugs, I don't know what ones to buy tomorrow ..don't want to trust Autobarn either.

I've been told use:

BKR6E Gapped at 0.78 or BCPR7ES

Not trusting them is like saying you dont trust the NGK listing, which is fairly good considering NGK make genuine Nissan plugs.

They will list Platinum plugs for your car. Highly doubt they will have BCPR7ES on shelf tho.

PROBLEM FOUND:

I've taken all the spark plugs out, and found that the 6th one had a piece missing from the tip.

I'll take a photo and show you what I mean.

As you already have splitfires it eliminates coil problems as you have stated.

There's nothing wrong with the plugs you have in there now for the turbo and boost you are running. Gapping them down at stockish boost levels is pointless, it's usually just a mask for dud coils.

I suspect your problem lies with the stock ecu running into rich and retard, which in turn introduces a rich miss. A colder plug as recommended above will make the problem worse as it is more sensitive to over fueling and fouling, particularly at lower plug gaps.

As a first move, gap your existing plugs down to .9 or so and see what happens. Then get the car to a dyno for a power run and see what the mixtures are like, while it's there get the fuel pressure checked at the rail to see if your pump or fuel filter is dead/dying.

Just for reference, i run splitfires, 20psi and 7 heat range plugs at .9 gap with no miss/fouling issues.

good luck!

edit; looks like you posted while i was writing. congrats on the find. almost certainly the problem. Just so you know, plugs don't just burn off electrodes for no reason....

Edited by BHDave

Id be more worried now what damage the pissing part of the plug did to the cylinder, the piston, and possiably more parts of the engine.

Thats what I am worried about now, esp after I forked out 6G's for a Forged rebuild.

What would have caused the plug to do this? It was only 1-2mts old.

edit; looks like you posted while i was writing. congrats on the find. almost certainly the problem. Just so you know, plugs don't just burn off electrodes for no reason....

Yeah, thanks for writing all that up though.

Now I need to find out why the plug did that and why, it is wierd I've never heard of it happing before. Anyone know what I should do now - anything I need to check before putting in a set of new plugs?