tommyb

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Term's right - the s1's have a R34 plug on the ECU :P

So for some strange reason nissan decided to put a R34 plug on the S1 Stagea's even though they had the same engine setup as the R33's.

I've got a Stagea s1 ecu pin out somewhere at home. I'll see if I can find it over the weekend.

J

Woah, blast from the past hey Jay

Howdy :O

Yep, thought I'd pop my head in and say g'day. What's it been, about 18 months.. lol

I've seen you around a bit, makes me miss the Stagea :dry:

I'm pretty sure I've got the pin outs around here somewhere, I gave hard copies to Kris when he bought my Stagea but I had electronic copies as well from when I put the Unichip in her.

To be conitued. lol

J

That would be odd, as the RB25DET NEO has VVT where as the RB25DET doesn't. wiring wouldn't have much to do with that.

Perhaps an R33 Powerfc with an R34 plug would solve all our problems?

That would be odd, as the RB25DET NEO has VVT where as the RB25DET doesn't. wiring wouldn't have much to do with that.

Perhaps an R33 Powerfc with an R34 plug would solve all our problems?

??cONFUSED??

But I thought the S1 did have VVT?

Well, mine is a 97 S1 and it has VVT on the inlet side...

Here are a few things from my mind.

WGNC34 ----> R34 chassis based, but R33 parts used, possibly to finish stock at Nissan? Maybe they didnt want to release the NEO in the stageas before they did in the Skylines, where the Skylines only came out in 98 with the NEO's and the Stageas in 96/97 could have had the NEO's?

This could account for the mismatching between parts in the Stageas, for example, the rear brakes are different in a model revision in the S1's in late 97. The rear brakes change from the R33 GTS4 to the R34 GT (whatever is N/A and 4wd)

Similar could have happend with the ECU. Also, dont forget that Stageas are detuned in comparison to their Skyline counterparts, not only with power but torque as well. Maybe Nissan decided to go for a newer ECU in the Stageas as it was released later (96, compared to R33's in 93) and it was difficult to pass emissions regulations etc? Who bloody knows, but its a freaking mix and match these cars!

ALSO. Both the S2 R33 engines and R34 engines have VVT, just on the R33's the VVT is on/off, where on the R34 engines it is infinatly variable. THis is what helps the NEO's be slightly better on the fuel.

To also clear up a few other things, R33 S2 turbos have Nylon compressor wheels, the same as the R34 NEO turbos.

OK, to add to the questions here (and hopefully help reduce some of the confusion), my question is this:

Seeing as the s1 Stagea has what seems to be the R34 plug, and Stageas, s2 R33's and R34's all have VVT, would there be any issue in using the Neo PFC with the Stagea (i.e., could the R34 PFC be made to run the VVT in on/off mode on the s1 Stagea instead of in constantly variable mode)?

If this is a possibility, then maybe all of us manual-boxed owners can go straight to the R34's PFC (apparently like Ska's runs) and avoid re-wiring the plugs, and just run them in switchable VVT mode, right?

I had my cousin's R33 (s1) standard ECU here for a while, but never got a chance to remove the one in my Stagea and compare the two. Might have to see if I can borrow it back.

I think Ska may already have the proof, if he definately has an R34 PFC, and can confirm that the ECU plug hasn't been replaced. I'd still like definate confirmation if the R34 PFC will run a series one stagea though.

Would you like me to find a digital camera and go take a picture of it, it's easily accessable now, found it when I took my dash out to do the heater core and put it back in the place it should be, near the passengers foot on the left.

Will need to find a digital camera but................

Would you like me to find a digital camera and go take a picture of it, it's easily accessable now, found it when I took my dash out to do the heater core and put it back in the place it should be, near the passengers foot on the left.

Will need to find a digital camera but................

I think that would be a great idea Cy. I'll do the same with my standard ECU (assuming it's easy to reach), and we can go from there...