SAU Community

Gtr Losing Power/misfiring/unhappy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried an ignition module tonight, no change. Noticed that when I dropped the bonnet that the car stuttered, thought it was alarm based fiddled, no change. Fiddled with AFM wires and got varying reactions depending on which wires I hold and if I earth them or not. Noted some elec tape on the AFM plug wires, peeled it back, looks good enough but something has been done there before. Pulled the airbox out, cleaned the AFM's and their plugs and tried to wrap the wires separately to ensure no earthing, put it all back together, same problem is evident. idle has also at 1200rpm too, this was evident before I did my stuff tonight. If I try to rev above say 2500 it misfires at all temps which suggested coils/plugs (new plugs are arriving tomorrow anyway so they'll go in and I'll inspect each coil individually while I'm there (they're splitfires and the car has 35,000k's so if they're genuine the coils can't be too old but in reality they could be up to ten years old - didn't think they were prone to failure though?) I pulled coil and plug number one and both appeared fine for reference. The loom that the AFM plug runs into looks a little worse for wear in my opinion too.

What's everyone's thoughts? TPS? AFM's? The car is booked in to an autoelec on Thursday but if I can sort it myself and save myself another day of driving the 1.6L Corolla I'd love to =\

Cheers

It sounds like something to do with the AFM's to me, when you unplugg the AFM on a gtst the car wont drive past 2500rpm-3000rpm and will coff and splutter which sounds like similar symptoms as what your car is having.

I had the same issue with my 32gtr..

Was an afm. It would drive fine then turn to sh*t. Wouldnt rev, wouldn't do anything.

And it was very random when it happened. Till i Spat it one night on a trip home (about 150km to go) an smacked the afms...

It fixed the problem temporarily, so i shook them till it came good.

Changed them one at a time with my friends afms and fixed the problem.

Ended up changing to Rb20 ones for greater hp capability (I have a power fc tho..)

Hope this helps

cms

Nope not as yet, didn't bother last night as it seemed AFM related and more so related to the plug/wiring than the actual AFM itself.

CMS: This isn't random it happens every time I drive the car after 10mins or so. It also did it last night straight away after starting, wouldn't rev past 2500.

That's plenty for me, cheers.

I'll let everyone know what the AutoElec says tomorrow fingers crossed it's just a wiring/earthing issue doesn't need parts as well as labour =D

good luck with her mate... it will come good

Had exactle the same prob with my car... Changed the AFM's and the car was fine...

My car wouldnt rev over 2500 and it used to stall when stopping at lights if i didnt have my foot on the accelerator...

You can recondition your AFM's by resoldering them and there is a DIY in the tutorials section of the forum...

Should be fine if you change them (or one) resolder them...

Good luck.

Just got the call then and the AutoElec is confident the AFM is at fault as it's giving error codes which confirms my suspicions. I've having him give the wiring into the AFM a once over but otherwise will be trying the AFM repair tutorial listed on here tonight and seeing how we go (also sourcing another AFM just incase it can't be repaired) Received my IRITOP's today also so they can go in as well.

Let you all know how I go later.