SAU Community

Installing A Bosch 040 Fuel Pump Into An R32

eXc

You might want to edit that as it made no sense at all.

An 044 intank is no problem if you use an additional sock filter on the inlet. Orientation isn't an issue with it at all.

If anything I would be more worried about the limited filtering capacity of the 040 pump filter screen.

The 044 does have an internal filter screen as well, although the mesh might keep out things like.. medium size rocks perhaps?

My question was pointed more at eXc as he has reported 044 intank failures and I was wondering if he had used an additional pickup filter, but then having one bad out of the box I probably would have been asking more questions of the supplier, than the pump install itself.

James.

SECUR1TY's install is an 044 and they dont like being in a tank at all.. the ( 040 ) has a filter built into the bottom of it and they are designed bo be used in an upright position unlike its 044 external brother..

so if you are using in 044 in your tank no wonder it died...

sorry - i said 044 in one post and didn't realise...it was 040's I was using (and is the topic of this thread) I can't edit my post for some reason to fix ...oh well

• 4 months later...

Quick query:

Heatshrink. will it react with petrol.

I only ask as I soldered the connectors on to the wire, but it looked messy, so I used heatshrink around it, then on the terminals too (figure that avoiding a spark in the tank isn't a bad idea)

Anyone know if it'll perish or even worse, heat up?

I did a quick test with some fuel and a strip of heatshrink, and nothing seemed to happen, but just thought to ask.

• 3 months later...

Good to see a tutorial on this but there are several issues I see over looked all the time.

A. 040 and 044 are massive over kill unless you are looking at supplying fuel for a hugely powered car. (in which case, an in tank simple set up is lacking in every department)

B. no check valve on either of these pumps. So as soon as you stop the car, all pressure is lost.

C. I don't think I've had an R32 that you could bend the pump seat down and fit it back in

D. this mounting style will be tremendously noisey.

Not being a smart arse! just trying to give info that I have come accross the hard way. I recently revised my in tank bosch set up but the pics are on my work computer. I'll get them up soon.

Good to see a tutorial on this but there are several issues I see over looked all the time.

A. 040 and 044 are massive over kill unless you are looking at supplying fuel for a hugely powered car. (in which case, an in tank simple set up is lacking in every department)

B. no check valve on either of these pumps. So as soon as you stop the car, all pressure is lost.

C. I don't think I've had an R32 that you could bend the pump seat down and fit it back in

D. this mounting style will be tremendously noisey.

Not being a smart arse! just trying to give info that I have come accross the hard way. I recently revised my in tank bosch set up but the pics are on my work computer. I'll get them up soon.

Thanks for the comments, other peoples experiences are always good when doing something like this. My views however;

A) It's what 'everyone' on the forums here seemed to go for, which is why it continues to be a popular choice (even though now I'd say buy a walbro, cheaper, i had less problems and it would fit in the standard mount)

B) No idea about that, but it didn't cause me any problems - Unless that had something to do with me going through 2 of these pumps...the walbro never had a problem... so it could be? not sure why I went through 2 Bosch's cause the tank was not contaminated.

C) Like I said in the tutorial, you need to cut it down.

D) Wasn't noisy for me at all. The Bosch was much louder than the Walbro however.

Cheers

Chris

• 3 months later...

I just installed one today. For some reason if I was to mount mine directly under the fuel feed pipe it would not fit in the tank. So I mounted it on a very slight angle and put a loop of hose around back to the feed. This actually worked really well. I only have 10l in the tank and its fine, its only slightly louder than the standard pump.

I also did the fuel pump rewire because the standard pump was getting just under 12v.

I have heard that at low throttle position (less than 10%?), the voltage drops to 6V to cut noise down. Is this true? If it is this may be the reason some peoples pumps don't last long as they are burning out if they are using the factory wiring to power the pump.

I have heard that at low throttle position (less than 10%?), the voltage drops to 6V to cut noise down. Is this true? If it is this may be the reason some peoples pumps don't last long as they are burning out if they are using the factory wiring to power the pump.

Mine was around 12v mark at idle...so i don't think that is true, unless it drops voltage when you throttle it a bit, which I doubt... measure it for us and let us know,.

Were you measuring voltage from the positive terminal on the pump harness to chassis ground or the negative terminal of the pump harness? The voltage regulator module for the fuel pump lifts the ground to reduce the voltage seen at the pump.

• 4 weeks later...

yeh sure is true, i jus put a 32 gtr pump into my gtst and when i start it up after about 5-10secs you can hear the pump slow down then if i give it a little rev it will speed up again pointless to me but yeh