SAU Community

New Section Idea - Fabrication

Just putting forward an idea to include a section specifically for Fabrication

this would include ideas and feedback on

tools used - welders/band saws/lathes etc etc

methods of fabrication - metal Fab/Welding/fibreglassing

problems encountered during Fabrication (help)

Custom car fabrication/roll cages/rust repair

Basically any tips and ideas for the DIY people that doesnt exactly fit into engine work or body kits.

these could include things like

custom seat rail fabrication

tips on welding methods

fabricating custom IC piping and ways and techniques

fabricating IC mounts/ oil cooler mounts

surge tank boxes

out of the square conversions

build your own strut braces

just a few ideas that encapsulate the idea of the new forum section.

Any aditional ideas and feedback welcome. This would hopefully allow some of the more knowledgeable fabricators out there to share their tips and tricks.

Cheers

Chris

Yeh i'm in for this too! And a list of people that partake in such activities. I'd love to know of some locals that could do my kitty exhaust!

if you can find the bow, i could probably make up the rest easy enough - we can chat elsewhere about it though :(

Agreed!

Maybe have sub-sections for different types of fabrication, like exhaust, working with plastics and fibreglass, panel beating, interior work (gauge pods, speaker pods, etc.) and sh!t like that...

So... sorta like a DIY section, but with more detail.

Maybe it could merge into DIY... or maybe a sub-section of DIY?

Being DIY covers all areas of DIY, be that basic/intermediate/advanced levels of the work being done. :no:

Sounds like a good idea, just need to nut out the format

Gold - remember audio coveres things like pods etc, and we have a cosmetic section.

lets not try to double handle things ;)

Tutorials / DIY / FAQ

FYI ONLY!!! DO NOT POST QUESTIONS IN HERE.

^^^ was the main reasoning for suggesting a new forum section based on Fabrication types and methods .. seperating it from the Engine/fix it DIY type things are in that area..

mainly a Build something DIY over a fix something DIY

if it can be sub forumed then awesome

DIY - fix it

DIY - Build it

type thing

Yeah, some tweaking would be required to current permissions for that section.

Or maybe a total overhaul of that area.

Hmmm. I see where you mean, my thought line is a good "DIY Cooler" piping thread or "DIY Welding" should indeed stay in DIY.

You dont want to be able to create some Fabrication section for the reason of "how do i weld" or "how do i get cooler piping to line up" "help me i cant fit my cooler" type of questions which would fill the section with useless information rather than decent technical information (for people that use the search/read the section)

Or even put a Fab section, but rule is with a very iron fist in a way...

ie. New topics have to be approved by the area moderator first so that the silly questions rather than the helpful threads are avoided.

hhmm... many ideas which no doubt will see some end :no:

cant be tooo hard to post in there either, as most people who are fabricating things and hit a wall and need help, dont always have a lot of time to wait for these approvals to go through.

unless there is another sub section for stickies and one for everyday questions, and people apply for it to be put into a sticky, or its up to the Mod of the section to choose if it goes in there or not. reasoning for this is that too many stickies gets messy too :no:

If there is a mod team assigned, then thats 3 people.

Just make sure they are the more active ones, thats easy sorted.

yeah, definately dont want 50 sticky threads.

But as people fab-as-you-go... you'll never really get a decent answer.

People (IMO) would be silly to take the advice in the first 2 hours. Give the thread 2-3 days and see the ideas that come of it, so real-time or fast mod action isnt really a mass requirement in that situation

too many stickies is bad, look at NSW section. Shouldnt need approval to post, just to start new threads. Otherwise whoever mods that section would spend alot of time locking and removing threads that should not be in that section.

just need to have active members being the ones to approve it.

If there is a mod team assigned, then thats 3 people.

Just make sure they are the more active ones, thats easy sorted.

yeah, definately dont want 50 sticky threads.

But as people fab-as-you-go... you'll never really get a decent answer.

People (IMO) would be silly to take the advice in the first 2 hours. Give the thread 2-3 days and see the ideas that come of it, so real-time or fast mod action isnt really a mass requirement in that situation

very true :P