SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

Cruiseliner,

You have to use the balancer suited to the car its going in.

For example, I run my rb20det item, others may use their r33 item or rb26 item. :/

Use what ever came on your car so you can use your pwr steer and a/c.

An uncles VL cab did over 1mil on the stock bottom end, he did 3 sohc heads that I know of maybe more. :thumbsup:

He ran penrite gas oil, changed every 10k.

Suprisingly when the motor went it wasn't the bearings it was a gudgen pin.

Cabs cant be compared but yer.. its interesting to note

not sure on the balancer just yet but at first looks it looks like it should work.

as for the RB30's and how long they last, ive known of them doing up to 400,000k's and still been going strong.

mine has done 214,000 and the bores still look awesome. and im basically going to be doing exactly the same as you and throw the r33 rb25 head on the untouched rb30 bottom end and see how long it will last and the power i can get outa it. when it blows, if im happy with the power it makes and how long it lasted ill just get another $50 bottom end and start again.

whats the chances if i lean the engine out and lunch a piston that i do damage to the head/turbo/valves???

is it pretty rare to wreck the head if it leans out and blows a hole in a piston?

lots of dollars in my head and turbo i dont wanna lose to a silly tuning error :thumbsup:

Go too lean and you can burn exhaust valves.

I wouldn't worry too much, play on the safe side, be sure you have a good wideband thats reading correctly your other/better half driving (so you have some one to blame if things turn sour eheh) and your laughing. :thumbsup:

Will you really want to drop the 2.7ltr back in after running around with the 3ltr? :/

Go too lean and you can burn exhaust valves.

I wouldn't worry too much, play on the safe side, be sure you have a good wideband thats reading correctly your other/better half driving (so you have some one to blame if things turn sour eheh) and your laughing. :thumbsup:

Will you really want to drop the 2.7ltr back in after running around with the 3ltr? :P

haha i was waiting for a comment like that, but 400hp is not enough and i think another 200hp+ on top of that will make the downsize a little easier to handle, plus the rpm limit of around 10k :/

a 30/26 will be goin in the stagea again soon enough :(

if i leave the 30 bottom end as it is when i buy it from a wrecked VL then is the adaptor still easy to install without removing the crank and stuff? whats all the grinding needed u mention? do i need to tap new

threads in the bottom of the 30 block for the sump adaptor or do u just use existing threaded holes?

so my interpretation of the mods needed for fitting 26 head on and sump adaptor are...

add 2nd tensioner to front of block

drill and tap block for 12mm rb26 head bolts

external oil pickup onto my existing 26 sump

the 2 bottom gearbox bolts dont lineup but i dont care as ive ran mine without then before

longer silicone joiners for cooler pipes

what happens with the radiator shroud??? or doesnt the height of the fan change?

4wd sump adaptor

modify top power steering bracket bolt hole

get longer timing belt

extend dump pipe for extra height

is that all or am i missing some things to do to make it all fit?

anyone care to answer my questions please??? :D

radiator shroud and fan should not be an issue , as the block is taller ABOVE the water pump so its location doesn't change.

modifying the engine mounts if you have clearance issues will cause these to foul though

as far as i have seen with these combo's its not required to change the tensioner locations.

Do remember this is a Stagea 4wd so the sump adaptor plate will throw 20mm or what ever it is on to the block and shift everything up slightly, so if anything the top of the shroud will be an issue, not the bottom like us rwd ppls where we lower the motor, essentially cruiseliner will be raising the motor, but as he runs the rb26 plenum this create any bonnet fouling issues.

r33_racer

thanx for that link to that site. ill check it now.

with the parts i already gotta complete turbo 25 sitting around i was gona use that, however there many peeps saying use an NA head coz of cams an easier fit is this true? what is the performance diff between NA an turb head?

Do remember this is a Stagea 4wd so the sump adaptor plate will throw 20mm or what ever it is on to the block and shift everything up slightly, so if anything the top of the shroud will be an issue, not the bottom like us rwd ppls where we lower the motor, essentially cruiseliner will be raising the motor, but as he runs the rb26 plenum this create any bonnet fouling issues.

wouldn't the plate just move the sump etc down, since the mounts are attached to the block above the sump plate/adapter area?

The 4wd sump adaptor is 6mm steel.

Moves the sump down, not the block up.

So, no effect on the water pump location relative to the radiator.

:D cheers :D

so whats this grinding i keep reading about on the bottom end to fit the sump adaptor???

and if the sump goes down 6mm lower is this going to then hit the x-member? or do i have to put spacers under the mounts to raise it so it clears ?

who is the sump adaptor available from sydneykid? im just organising everything and still deciding if ill go in this direction at the moment, and ill know in a few days if ill go ahead or not.

does the sump adaptor use the stock rb30 sump threaded holes or does it require new holes to be tapped into the 30 block ?

thanks again everyone :D

hey humz...its kewl man i didnt really give you anything to go on...just some common sense stuff. This is a site which maybe helpful to you also http://users.tpg.com.au/cobra30/twincam.htm .

I believe difference between na and turbo head is the vct, actually i think those details are in the start of the guide mate, just incase i spun you a porky pie there.

CruiseLiner - is it fitzpatrick speed works who has the lasercut adapter plates? Or is that for something else?

Edited by r33_racer

Hows the powerfc cubes r they gonna fix it??? So you can come for a cruse on friday :P Anyone else with an rb25/30 is welcome too :(

Hey Buddy, How did you go with the tune on Wednesday?

I won't be cruising, will be up at the Nannas on the other side of town for tea. :thanks:

Threw new tyres on the car and they have made a massive difference to traction, I'm able to get most of second down now and it actually feels damn fast. :(

Hey Buddy, How did you go with the tune on Wednesday?

I won't be cruising, will be up at the Nannas on the other side of town for tea. :D

Threw new tyres on the car and they have made a massive difference to traction, I'm able to get most of second down now and it actually feels damn fast. :D

Cool good to hear! :D , I took her down on wed to Tilbrook and i wasnt too impressed... firstly they didnt even know my car was booked in at the time they had booked it in and it was just shit customer service, so much for there $75 power run, which they all of a sudden changed to a dyno tune $650-700 on friday which i just lol'd at as they had to get someone else in to do the tune. Pissed me off because they didnt seem to know what they where talking about and i didnt want to leave my car in there hands and pay that much! So i went down to see shawn at BOOSTWORX told him u gave me a hand to tune her so far, he is a great bloke and seems to know what he is talking about. My car is now booked in next friday, which he told me would give me a chance to do some more k's on the motor hence why i chose to get my car tunned there, someone who knows there facts! So if you want to come down next friday if your free, we gonna spin her up on the dyno me and my mate captain thread (helped me build the motor) will be there to see what she can do, Shawn thinks that the standard cooler will cause a bit of a problem, what do you guys think i am only aiming for 220rwkw on 13psi which is what my wastegate is set to at the moment :( I do have a front mount i can put on before next week its just i was going to wait a while and do them all at once, then i had the following upgrades in mind, Q45 AFM, Q45 TB on front facing plenum, FMIC, 550cc injectors.

Edited by FOOLBOOST

I would slap the intercooler on now any chance you can pick up a cheapo nismo fpr by then?

13psi is a fair wack and may impeed tuning as the stock ic will heat soak very quickly.

What has Shaun said he's going to charge?