SAU Community

Timing and Tuning

sfitzy

I am having abit of trouble hooking up a timing light to my Skyline GTS25T.

It has an inductive pick-up and I want to adjust the crank angle sensor to get the timing right.

Where do I connect the pick-up too? Is this the right method for adjusting the timing? Any help would be great!

hook onto the wire that is looped out from the rest on the igniter module.

some timing guns read different depending on which direction the pickup is facing (the most retarded reading is the correct one)

dont overtighten the 3 bolts on the CAS, the housing can crack pretty easily

hope this helps

There's no guarantee that that method works.

The better method is to remove #1 coilpack, and insert a plug lead between the coilpack and the spark plug. Then do a 'normal / old-fashioned' reading of the timing and adjust the CAS.

As I said, there's no guarantee that the 'easy' way will work. If the timing isn't somewhere already near the factory value (15 BTDC), then don't use the 'easy' way. I got it reading almost twice the 'real' value using my mighty K-Mart timing light and the wire loop.

Originally posted by blind_elk

As I said, there's no guarantee that the 'easy' way will work. If the timing isn't somewhere already near the factory value (15 BTDC), then don't use the 'easy' way. I got it reading almost twice the 'real' value using my mighty K-Mart timing light and the wire loop.

i use an elcheapo $15 kmart gun also... it reads fine. everytime.

like i said, reverse the direction of the pickup on the loop (coil #1) and with most guns this will read 2 different values. the most retarded reading is the correct one.

works on other 33s as well so i dont think there's any magic here :(

cheers

Be careful some timing lights will give you a timing reading on the "easy method" but will be wrong..so that isnt much good.

Timing lights are designed to work on a high voltage current pulse not a LV pulse...so sometimes innacurate readings can occur.

I hate timing cars with coil packs, by rule unless there is a fault i time with my ear :P