SAU Community

Buying The Right Equipment For The Job

CEF11E

I am looking at buying welding gear but do not want to spend a fortune. It will be for general use and will never need to weld anything thicker than 6mm but would also like to be able to weld as thin as 1mm for fine stuff. also the ability to weld alloy would be great.

I have very little to no experience welding. I have used oxy/accetelene and arc years ago but thats it.

I am thinking a TIG is the go. and also not a gassless one.

What is a good price to pay for one and what would you recomend as meing the minimum level of rquipment to get?

can anyone recomend a particular unit to buy? total budget will be under $1000. cun you buy a decent unit for that?

Thanks

does that budget include the mask and maybe gloves? i'd spend up good on these two items in particual, i'd probly buy one of those automatic mask things.

i've never used one but they are supposed to be VERY safe for your eyes, and makes sh*t alot easier. i was always fiddling with those normal masks and lifting em up, putting em down, lifting it up, putting down just to see my work (when i was learning to weld)

also, might pay to do a TAFE course or something so a pro can show you how to weld, dunno if you would include that in your 1000 budget.

as for what unit to buy, sorry mate, no idea

I have seen a few for around $750 at a metal supply place. made by an italian company called boss.

120 amp at 50% duty cycle

that will be just a dc tig if u want to tig alloy u will need a ac/dc tig which u can buy cheap ones around the $2,000 mark but they aint that flash at welding alloy

then u will need to add a mask,gloves,regulator,welding rods,tunstan welding tips,stanless steel wire brush,gas,hose to run from the reg to your welder

the gas bottle u will need to get from boc etc and u will have to pay rent on the bottle dont bother with the disposable gas bottles (well not for tig welding)

when i got my ac/dc tig i had never welded alloy before and all i did was pratice (like most things) u get better

try and stay away from the cheap tigs (for alloy anyway) as it will show up in your quallity of welding (as they pulsate very savage on alloy)

check the classifieds in the paper or put a wanted to buy ad in there. I picked up a near new BOC Caddy with gloves, mask, box of rods and wire brush etc from out of the trading post for less than $500.

Thanks all for the input.

I am going to get a DC tig but am going to wait until after i have done a welding course, it will give me a better idea of what i really need.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I have no idea what the power steering control module is on a non-HICAS car because I've never seen one. But it is a fair bet that is essentially the same thing as on any other Nissan of the period with variable PS. So, Maximas, that sort of thing. It will pick up the ECU's speed signal off the "bus" (there's not really a bus - any consumers of the VSS are all just connected to that output on the ECU). The output should (most likely) be a PWM signal to give you an effective average voltage between the minimum and maximum values. You could possibly look at the HICAS part of the R32 manual to see what that range is likely to be (for non-HICAS, as it should be about the same).
    • Thank you for the info!    Did you get a 33 gearbox speed sensor to have your speedometer to work? Does the Speedo work but not accurate? 
    • Took me a while to answer that.... Funny thing is, the across the river neighbour did put in an airstrip, built a hanger, and buy a cessna, because strangely they aren't allowed to build a house on the property but there is no problem building an airport terminal They've used in 3 times, once for an attempted landing where they misjudged a little, aborted and missed the trees by so little that new underwear was required. Second time the landing stuck, then a few weeks later the plane left and never returned, so I don't think aircraft noise is going to be an issue. Funny looking back through the last few posts too, I've spent a heap of time lately redoing the roads  and drains so I guess it is a 2 yearly thing to add to the calendar. Those big drains did overflow in the rain about a month ago so that is pretty disheartening....just a reminder that you can't stop nature I guess.
    • So I’m having issues with my power steering. the obvious heavy and light and comes on and off randomly now it’s constantly heavy. I’ve read through forums regarding this issue and what I’ve gather is that it’s referring to hicas deletion. That’s the problem mine didn’t come with hicas.    I’ve rebuilt the steering rack, pump, changed the bent hardline on the rack and taken out the solenoid to clean and loosen up the actuator, applied 12v to get it moving. Roughly checked the loom to see if there’s any damage to the loom and nothing. Now I’m checking the wiring. I’ve tested the wiring to the solenoid and it’s fluctuating between 0.07v to 0.03v. Does anyone know what it’s supposed to be reading? 5v? Anyone one know how this all works? Is there a fuse in between? What else is it connected to? How does it connect to the speed sensor? A resistor fried in the ecu? Please help. It’s been years Thanks in advance 
    • that's pretty good condition, those chips are nothing. Get a mobile repairer to sort it out. Nice wheels, I had white 17's on my GT-R once, looked nice.