SAU Community

New Federal 595rs Semi's

SLY33

If you've got a few spare hours ;-) look through the "Tyres youd use" sticky - no reviews but on page 19 "PSI GTSII" bought some and posted pix. A number of posts have price info. Maybe PM PSI GTSII?

AFAIK the only other similar tyres are the Falken RT-615s, which were a little cheaper when i priced them in August last year.

The Federals aren't a true R rated 'semi', and as said above they are similar to the Falken RT615 with a treadware of approx 200, not 50-60 like the soft R semis slicks.

Motor magazine did a tyre test on these sometime last year in a 235/45-17 size. They said they had a RRP of $200 but that was wrong.

Edited by VHR32

They are definitely a good bang for buck tyre.

Federal are soon to restructure their labelling. The SS595 will be 595. A new entry will be the 595EVO, I am told they will be a touch softer than the 595's. Then there's the semi slick 595RS.

The current SS595's are damn cheap, nothing comes close in performance for the price point. i.e 235/45/17 ~$160-180 per corner. :D

Motor magazine did the test on the SS595's. Not the semi slicks.

I'm trying tp find out if a 245/40/17 on 8" +35 rim will fit under the front guards of a gtst. I don't really like the idea of playing with different aspect/size tyres. All though it would be nice to throw a set of 595RS 255/40/17 on rear 8" rims, they apparently fit 8" rims ok.

SLY33... Have you tried that exhaust manifold yet? :rofl:

I'm trying tp find out if a 245/40/17 on 8" +35 rim will fit under the front guards of a gtst. I don't really like the idea of playing with different aspect/size tyres. All though it would be nice to throw a set of 595RS 255/40/17 on rear 8" rims, they apparently fit 8" rims ok.

I wouldn't put a 255/40 on an 8" rim, absolute maximum of 245, preferably 235 or 225 though. 255/40 is nice on a 9" rim.

And I think 245/40R17 on 17x8+35 will fit. It should just clear the upright (I've had 235/40R18 on 18x8 +38 before) and there should be a decent amount of clearance to the guard, will be fine if they're lipped.

Edited by salad

Haha, yeah, look at the tread width, 232mm. Should be a 235!

It is a bit weird though as the Federal SS595 is a very wide tyre. 235/40R18 sits pretty much flush with the rim on a 18x9.

EDIT, just saw section width of 260mm. I spose I have seen 265/35R18 on 18x8, but that was very bulged out.

Thinking back a bit more, I've had 255/40 on a 17x8, and it was the SS595. Was quite bulgy but went on OK.

Edited by salad

Ok I've used these tyres. (Yes the RS version)

595rs.jpg

They are not a true semi-comp in the same catagory as tyres like the RE55, DG02Z, A048, R888 etc.

They are more in the came class as the Falken RT615's.

If you look at the UTQG rating the true R comps are all around the 40-60 mark where as these tyres I think are rated at 180 (615's are 200).

Having said that they were a damn nice tyre to use and I won the Autocross/Motokhana event at DECA in a 100% stock EVO 8MR with those tyres beating modified GT-R's using RE55's etc.

They will last 3-4 times longer than a real R comp but at the track they will be 3-5s per lap slower depending on the track.

These tyres are classed as a street tyre in the SAU VIC club championship - not an R comp tyre.

The 595SS versions are comparable to something like the Hankook 104's.

ss595.jpg

I ran these tyres last night around Barbagello Raceway, and I must admit I was very impressed. Managed to keep 600rwhp on the track, and then I was able to drive them home :nyaanyaa:

If your car isn't a dedicated track car then these seem like a very resonable option.

As another alternative, I am using the Hankook RS2 which is also a semi tyre. The price is alright and the dry grip is excellent but still slightly behind the RT615. When cruising other forums, its hard to find anything negative about the RS2s, especially on EvoM, NASIOC etc.

SLY33... Have you tried that exhaust manifold yet? :(

Hey Cubes, lol, yes the manifold!

As it happens im flying back into Aus on the Sun 25th this month, and the car goes into workshop the very next day. Im only down for a week, so depending on how quick the shop is, i will hopefully get it dynoed by the end of that week. Ill be sure to post up results when its done, hopefully i'll see a bit more than the 281rwkw previously.

cheers