SAU Community

89 R32 Gtst Running Probs.... Plz Help Desperate!

bring it to the workshop near ur place. if u in mt gravatt i knw a good mechanic around there which is near the JB HIFI. i used to work there. is locate in front of the pool n snooker shop. if u knw where.

Did u check the coil packs see is it burn ? i think i had tis kind of problem before in my work place's customer's car. but is R33. yea i just hate the hicas light alway on and off.

but , if is about the idle. pull the coil packs n check whether is burn or not. if im not wrong one of my customer's car had tis problem. we check all the sensors n nothing wrong with it and end up is the intake pipe which is from air filter to the turbo pipe. The reason of the pipe is because of the heat make the pipe get softer n when u the pipe will b squire. Im not sure if is the same problem i had in customer's car.

Just bring it to the mechanic near the JB HIFI area. i already lost his phone number and forget what's the workshop call.

Good luck

Mick

Thanks halo,

Yeah thanks to alot of people who have given me some great opinions guys..... thankyou alot.

I think im gonna start by tracing these wires in the steering column and make sure there all connected up and not cut / faulty. I have no resivor in my 32 at the back so im guessing my hicas fluid is from the PS resivor which is full.

As for the idle im going to first clean the AAC valve and reset the base idle etc, change fuel filter and then if its still the same, take the coils out and check them thoroughly and maybe also cover them in industrial grade silicon just incase there starting to arc out.

I think the connectors for the plugs that connect to the coil packs are rooted as the little plastic insides have crumbled up? has that happened to anyone else yet?

Do i just hunt for a 2nd hand set of leads/wires with the connectors on? or can u buy those plastic bits new from nissan?

Also picking up a 2nd hand speedo as mine has split the plastic housing at the back and causes the speedometer to jerk about sometimes and plus the odometer has stopped working :S

Thanks guys for all the advice and help.....

Its great to know i can always ask the SAU family for some help

Cheers BOOSTA (pete)

for the spedo cable u cant get the plastic bit. u have to change whole spedo cable which u can get 2nd hand or from nissan dealer which will cost u too much so juz go to wreckers and get them. because of the speedo cable cause u the add metre stop working.

try getting your injectors cleaned and see if it makes any difference, my r32 was doing the same thing - drives fine idles shit, when i got the injectors cleaned it fixed it. could also be the coolant temp sensor, the car thinks its cold all the time so its always running rich, might be worth changing, theyre pretty cheap.

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much to all who have replied, i have quite a good list of things to start checking over and one by one will knock them off the list.

I dont know what i'd of done if it wasnt for the help from SAU, Does anyone know a good way to check out cooler piping to see if its leaking air anywhere? Because my standard bov is bloody loud, sounds like a turbosmart atmo vent one even tho its plumbed back ?....

THANKYOU !!!

My List to check......

1. AAC valve and assembly (including clean out and idle reset)

2. Connect Wires in steering column and check over. (hicas checkover)

3. Replace Fuel Filter and check out old one.

4. Check over Coil Packs and also cover in industrial silicone

5. Check and possibly replace coolant temp sensor.

6. Check AFM and Oxy Sensor for correct readings.

7. Check Injectors and clean if needed.

8. Check all intercooler piping for possible air leak... as i think thats where the backfire problem is occuring !!!!

#My car specs#

1989 R32 GTST

Rb20det

Standard Turbo

Standard boost (spikes to 11psi)

Standard plumb back bov (bloody noisy? possibly leaking somewhere?)

Standard Dump and Front pipes

3" Hi flow cat

3" Bee R cat back exhaust

New NGK Iridiums (standard gap)

CHEERS BOOSTA (Pete)

I put money on it that it is your ECU.

There is a series of actions you can perform to reset your ECU to factory settings. Do a search you should be able to find it.

If not let me know as I can find out.

Grippy.

if u wanna reset it, just unhook your battery and pump the brake pedal a few times.

i suggest taking the car to a workshop, they will find the problem alot quicker and easier than you will. charlies at wooloongabba know skylines very well, they deal with alot of them. im sure they will sort your problem out very quickly.

on the bov issue, u might find its stuck shut (if they can do that) the noise you are probably hearing is the flutter noise the air makes as it comes back out the compressor wheel of the turbo. try sourcing a new stock bov, it will most probably fix that.