SAU Community

Hyperdrive - Malaga - Quote On 420-460rwhp

Hypn0tiK

there is no way ken is going to stand behind his work when you pop your std 25 after its pulling 335 rwkw

and regardless of whether he should have said to build the engine in an online quote I think this one is just excessive and the wrong way to go

go look in the sticky rb25 dyno threads and see what everyone is running to get their hp , most arnt going to this extreme

thats not to say whats in the quote is not usefull or accurate , just theirs cheaper simpler ways of doing it

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no way ken is going to stand behind his work when you pop your std 25 after its pulling 335 rwkw

and regardless of whether he should have said to build the engine in an online quote I think this one is just excessive and the wrong way to go

go look in the sticky rb25 dyno threads and see what everyone is running to get their hp , most arnt going to this extreme

thats not to say whats in the quote is not usefull or accurate , just theirs cheaper simpler ways of doing it

Totally agree...it is your own risk and responsibility if a motor pops trying to run that sort of power. I dont think any workshop will fix for free a popped motor down the line. I know if mine popped I wouldn't expect Ken to rebuild it. I wanted to run this power, I was warned about the potential of popping it, but with a good tune you can minimize the risk IF the motor is in good condition to start with.

Here is a list of my mods from the turbo upgrade thresd (5th post from the bottom of the page)

dont forget...if it is a totally stock car, you will need to upgrade the clutch and suspension...and get wider rubber to make use of any of the extra power. You should also look as potential brake upgrade too...

...and advanced driver training in the car once the upgrades are done to know how to handle it for when all hell breaks loose!!!

How hard is it to stick a 26 into one of these. You can make that power all day for a lot less, I do.

haha Keetsie...I have thought about that and selling the 25 off and building up the 26. Then swap the 26 into a GTR whenever I find the right one :)

Now I think I will just get the GTR and work on that :D

just to note: lumpy is no longer at hyperdrive. They use Shaun from AllStar for the time being (i belived he is ex-speedworks tuner)

I can say that for the quick time Shaun spent on my car tuning this week. he found the problem with my tune straight away and fix it up :) i am very happy with what was done so far and will be going back soon for the rest of the retune.

Michael

Everyone has their favourite workshops and each to their own but Hyperdrive is mine. Why? because i've know Ken since before Hyperdrive existed and yes he can be gruff (who wouldn't be with the amount of calls he has to take around actually getting cars in and out of the workshop) but he also wont p!ss in your pocket or leave you with a half @ssed or half finished car.

You asked what do i need for this level of horsepower and Ken has advised a list of things that will make it with some head room AND quality parts that i assume carry a warranty.

Yeah it's a lot of money but if you're looking at this level of power you better get used to spending money on your car :) Good luck with the grand plan.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Oh goody ;)

I log on this morning to see this :(

Lance , maybe explaining a little more about what you asked for may go some way to justify the price.

I suggested a power FC but your answer was that you definitely did NOT want one and you specifically asked for a quality computer that will support launch control etc.

You also wanted quality components which is why I steered clear of China manifolds. Sure they may work , usually after you have modded the wastegate pipe , machined them flat and then 6 months later they crack anyway.

As far as other prices go , yes , you can troll around the forums and Japan and absolutely they can be purchased cheaper but we are a workshop , we have margins and we deal with only 2 or 3 companies that supply the products.

Just a general post in regards to the * workshops are a ripoff * attitude that seems to permeate the WA performance industry atm.

We have spent a lot of money getting equipment ( dynos, test equipment , hoists, buildings , welders etc ) and most shops try to employ quality mechanics who like to be paid commensurate with there skills.

If everybody decides that we are too expensive and gets backyard Joe to do there work then backyard Joe had better be investing in above said equipment.

2 performance orientated shops closing in the last 5 months has left the industry short of places to go and if people still insist on * doing it cheaper * then a few more will leave.

Who is going to tune the cars or sort the problems out when backyard Joe runs out of ideas?

This is in no way a shot at anybody and yes , even workshops make mistakes and as some people have commented , when the mistake happens then the quality of the shop is shown in the way the problem is rectified.

Cheers

Ken

I put my faith in Ken and Hyperdrives workmanship while I was still in London. I can still say that I was very happy with the results, and the car hasn't missed a beat (including over 400kms of great ocean road cruise ringing its neck). :( Thanks Ken

P.S. I want more power now ;)

And this post is specific to Brad..

Brad , are you still doing your best to try and singlehandedly bring every workshop down ?

After you have you used us , Racetorque , XSpeed , PSI , SST ( now Top Racing ) plus who knows who else you have tried and still the bagging continues.

Spot the common denominater here ?

After you realised we were all useless and you could do better , did you ever get the crank back ( which you left the grubscrews out of ) and sort the rods out when you put the caps on backwards ?

Or are the parts still back at the original machinist they started at who you said was useless as well ?

Ken

This is such a useless thread. Quotes should reamin between you and the workshop - posting a snippet of what prices/parts you were quoted and leaving all the important bits out (i.e the specifics of what you actually asked for) is just stupid. Surely you didn't roll up to Ken and wisper in his ear "450Hp" then bend over and say give me your best!

The forum is the right place to get ideas feedback on your build but NOT to name names and open the floor for ppl who wanna take a stab at a workshop.

There's plenty more to choosing a workshop/mechanic/tuner than a list of parts and prices mate! I've been using Ken/hyperdrive for a few years now and will continue to take my cars there. Enough said.

My 2C.

Opps, we better mention C-red as a workshop too, Jash is reading ;)

But yes, getting a quote, telling us half the story is bound to end in a shitfight.

If your not happy with the quote then go to all the other workshops and get them to quote on the same things. I can tell you most of them won't even bother giving you and itemised quote.

Wholesale price on a GT35R is $1826.

IMO if you are paying them $$$$$ in labour to do it all, then you should negotiate cost-price parts.

For those prices, you will be getting top notch gear. You can do it a lot cheaper (for example you can get a China manifold for $350 compared to $1650).

Cost Price on Parts? So just because a workshop has the audacity to charge labour for fitting a part they arent entitled to make profit on it?

I'd have to get 3 or 4 calls a day from punters who've had a "mate" do a really good job fixing their car, but now its making a tack tack noise from the bottom end, or it wont idle etc etc.

Guys like Ken and I are enthusiasts first and foremost and businessmen second, but bear in mind we arent doing it for the love. We charge fair and reasonable prices for what we supply and what we do. If you dont like it, then no-one is holding your gun to you head to take it.

Jash

Guys guys, you have to realise ...you get what you pay for. The quote which Ken has given is for a top flite setup that will withstand a good thrashing and i personally think its a dam good deal. I, like many people on here, have used Ken for 99.9% of my mods and service and from that i can say nothing but good things about him. What other workshop owner will stand around for half an hour and talk about engine builds and drift cars with you?

My 2 Cents plus another 2 Cents

This kinda thread does clean the air which needs doing once in a while.

But like I said before Ken does honour his word and does stand behind his work when it comes to installing and fitting. He worked on my car for 3 days becuase of a problem they couldn't sort out, which proves he sticks to his word.

But when it comes to tuning a power fc D-Jettro thats a different story. He offered to recify the tune but it took however another high performace shop to indicate why I was using a VERY VERY EXCESSIVE amount of fuel because of their tune. I mean it was so rich I could have run another car off my cars exhaust.

But if my tuning and my pon cams were tuned and corrected I would be %100 with ken "hyperdrive".

Out

PS where did Glenn aka LUMPY go to? anyone know?

Not wanting to get involved in the shitfight here, I would just like to know where Lumpy went? and can Hyperdrive still remap R32 ecu's?:D

hyperdrive are at the moment using Shaun from ALL-STAR to do there tuning.

i highly recommend his tuning work :rofl:

edit:

i think alot of people need to reread the topic

was just after opinions on the quote. Like is it a reasonable price? are the power figures correct? etc..

it pretty much explains what he is after.....