SAU Community

Hyperdrive - Malaga - Quote On 420-460rwhp

Hypn0tiK

I think you should ring around, and just try out workshops. Stop listening to everyone because everyone has their own experience and loyalties about certain workshops etc. Get some quotes and try maybe a few mods here and then a few mods there.

From there, based around your OWN experience you can decide to either stay at one workshop or move on to another... Its all good hearing that one place is great to this customer or that customer, but if your not happy how does it matter?

About the whole money issue, well you will have to be prepared to pay for the quality of work in which it entails, but once again try various workshops and from that you can judge which one was money best spent.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every time a rb25 ringland shits itself baby jesus cries

haha

but in all seriousness the quote isnt that bad considering the name of the workshop and the materials being used

i would ask about the exhaust pricing, maybe able to get cheaper considering how much you are spending on other things

Cost Price on Parts? So just because a workshop has the audacity to charge labour for fitting a part they arent entitled to make profit on it?

I'd have to get 3 or 4 calls a day from punters who've had a "mate" do a really good job fixing their car, but now its making a tack tack noise from the bottom end, or it wont idle etc etc.

Guys like Ken and I are enthusiasts first and foremost and businessmen second, but bear in mind we arent doing it for the love. We charge fair and reasonable prices for what we supply and what we do. If you dont like it, then no-one is holding your gun to you head to take it.

Jash

Jash, in no way did I say that Ken isn't charging what would be fair, hell I'm impressed that he gave an itemised quote. As you know, dozens of dreamers get quotes (which take time to do up) and never follow up on it.

You know as well as I do the mark-up on labour at a workshop.

All I was saying is if you're throwing 3-4 thousand dollars at a workshop for labour, then some consideration could be given on the parts. You don't HAVE to give a discount, but in the intrest of customer relations offering "cost-price" on parts for a job like this (read: $20k going through the till) goes a long way to ensuring that the customer will come back.

I'm not telling you how to run your business, but from a customers perspective you'd be insane to walk into a shop with $20,000 and pay 100% retail for everything you buy, especially when the parts are so readily availble from places like greenline/nengun etc.

Edited by Brockaz

When getting any sort of work done to my car I make sure I have the parts first so that I don;t have to pay for the parts plus install straight up. It works much better as a spread out budget that way and heck, buying from Japan may even save you a few bob.

My car has only ever gone to Hyperdrive for repairs/mods and I respect their work. Although I am NoR and its not really viable for me to go anywhere else I'm sure other workshops get welcome praise from performance car owners who live nearby for the same reasons as mine.

I notice ken you don't want to respond to my post.... I know your a stubbon bastard, but come on mate.

I have no probs with ya quality work that ya stand behind except ya "last tune and pon cam dial in...."

Stand behind your tune and atleast have a go at recifying ya tune and re dial in the cams....

Its the HYPERDRIVE WAY it's the only way :D

rob

I notice ken you don't want to respond to my post.... I know your a stubbon bastard, but come on mate.

I have no probs with ya quality work that ya stand behind except ya "last tune and pon cam dial in...."

Stand behind your tune and atleast have a go at recifying ya tune and re dial in the cams....

Its the HYPERDRIVE WAY it's the only way :)

rob

Rob , I was going to leave this one alone as you might get the same reputation as Brad. :)

I am/was in partnership with Glenn and he is the one running the dyno. As stated before , we did a lot of work on your car for no charge in an attempt to get what we thought the car should achieve but obviously not to your satisfaction.

Each tuner tunes cars differently and we certainly don't go for the big hp just to impress clients. What the car makes is what it makes, you can't magically make more HP if the a/f's are correct and the timing is near maximum. Cam timing is a subjective issue that is more to do with where we think you should have the power in the rev range. Tuning for maximum peak HP and be down 20-30hp in the midrange is a waste of time for all but dyno queens.

Things can change over time and certainly we have had problems with customers coming back complaining about fuel consumption/lack of power/lack of midrange/lack of bragging rights. In quite a few instances we have found that the problem lies outside what we have done ie. fuel pump died/boost controller playing up/split cooler piping/mate been playing with the hand controller/engine has died under increased strain etc. A tune is a tune, it's not a lifetime guarantee of trouble free motoring.

The fact that Glenn looked at it and saw nothing wrong is something you will have to take up with him.

The fact that XSpeed and Ant tuned it after and you still weren't happy makes me think there may be a deeper issue.

End of argument..

You know as well as I do the mark-up on labour at a workshop.

All I was saying is if you're throwing 3-4 thousand dollars at a workshop for labour, then some consideration could be given on the parts. You don't HAVE to give a discount, but in the intrest of customer relations offering "cost-price" on parts for a job like this (read: $20k going through the till) goes a long way to ensuring that the customer will come back.

I'm not telling you how to run your business, but from a customers perspective you'd be insane to walk into a shop with $20,000 and pay 100% retail for everything you buy, especially when the parts are so readily availble from places like greenline/nengun etc.

Why do you think I said it? :ninja:

Labour and parts cost is a funny thing on a job of that size - there's a base amount you need to make off the job - you either make it off charging out ever single second you work on the car, or you make it off the parts.

For a job of that size you'd expect to pay below one off, non-regular customer prices. The other thing people have to realise is the better you get along with a shop, and the more business you, and your referrals give them, the cheaper things get. If you dont show any shop loyalty then you dont get the corresponding payoffs.

Jash

unless that was the sarcasm of it ken

But in regards to the guy that wants the work done, did u really want that power and have your engine *possibly* go boom-boom, OR, worse, you go bye-bye

why not spend a little less, go a highflowed rb25/vg30 turbo, standard plenum, new exhaust manifold, powerFC, injectors, and some of the other stuff mentioned there and spend the money that you saved on teh engine to go into brakes/suspension/tyres etc

i cant see what the problem is !

if you think that quote from hyperdrive was too expensive get off your ass and check out a few other workshops..

i have never been to hyperdrive coz i live south of river i use another good workshop i am happy with

but look at it this way if Hyperdrive Ken/Lumpy were in the business of ripping people off i doubt they would have been in the import performance game as long as they have and still have so many glowing testimonials from so many import owners

I would always pay a higher labour rate to guys like Ken or Jash to work on my car for a discounted price on parts. A high labour rate is not just for the fancy signs out the front of the building, its also the experience, and the use of their equipment you are buying, and as Jash mentioned loyalty to people these days is quite highly rated.

Most places quote retail on email (I do) as most emails are not taken overly serious. ALOT of emailers are keyboard warriors with nothing better to do than get quoted on work they have no financial meansor intentions to get, which is just a waste of time for the company.

My thoughts are, if you dont like Ken or the way he does business, and you cant go to his shop and sit down face to face and chat to him in a civil manner about the quote or problems you are having, then you dont really have a place to bag him out, especially publicly.

Oh and for the record, I have never used used Ken.

Thats just my thoughts.

Just a general post in regards to the * workshops are a ripoff * attitude that seems to permeate the WA performance industry atm.

We have spent a lot of money getting equipment ( dynos, test equipment , hoists, buildings , welders etc ) and most shops try to employ quality mechanics who like to be paid commensurate with there skills.

If everybody decides that we are too expensive and gets backyard Joe to do there work then backyard Joe had better be investing in above said equipment.

One thing I have found out is a lot of people in Perth think "Everything in life is fee" and I am sick of hearing "I know what you paid for that (wholesale or ex Japan) so why should I pay more".

According to these so called experts "If Red Rooster buy a Chicken for $2 why should I pay $7 for it".

where the hell is everyone getting the 'emailed a quote' thing from?

The OP went in and spoke to Ken did he not??

I'd like to hear the good and the bad, it helps to go into a workshop and ask the right questions... what if this happens, what if that happens, what do you do if this or that happens etc...

Not wanting to get involved in the shitfight here, I would just like to know where Lumpy went? and can Hyperdrive still remap R32 ecu's?:ninja:

I heard he is working out of Miluc civil rom tuning Komatsu excavators ..

All the poor dude that posted it wanted was opinions on the offer he was given in open mind.

I think its reasonable mate but there at alternatives to do it cheaper