SAU Community

Rb26 Pfc Working On Rb20/rb25

Are you interested in a custom modified PFC to suit your RB20 and RB25?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok after driving the car for a bit it appears the rb26pfc has resolved one issue but in sorts created another.

With the Rb20 PFC (and 3 others I have tried) I had issues of it going lean under ~1800-2000rpm when making more than a few psi of boost. Basically; leaving a round about in third gear at say 1100rpm, put the foot down, boost starts to climb afr's lean out 2000rpm comes and bang like a switch afr's would return to normal and the car would accelerate off down the road.

Performing a map trace indicated the load points would only drop to 11 and then travel along the x (rpm) axis until 2000rpm where it would drop to 17 odd and then accelerate off. I tried altering the airflow curve, a different afm and as I said a few other RB20 PFC's.

I came to the conclusion that possibly it was boost being blown straight out of the exhaust port due to the low rpm/cam overlap combination.

Appears not the case. The RB26 pfc works 100%, doing the above it now is able to make all its boost under 2000rpm and accelerate without the mixtures going lean causing a hessitation lean missfire.

BUT................

The knock sensitivity.... It appears to be really really dulled down compared to the rb20 pfc.

The Rb20 pfc on the dyno with det cans saw det around the 50knock mark, I was able to hear det on the dyno at around 60ish.

Under full load without det I would see knock levels up to around 30-40ish.

The RB26 PFC. Under cruise it sits on 1-2 under load max holds 7-8. I've heard it detonate at 17ish. So the scaling or sensitivity of the RB26's 8.04a firmware is very very low.

I've noticed from previous plays on the dyno that when it does ping it pings with a quick spike, so as far as I'm concerned any quick spike on the det graph is det; I've seen it spike to 15 and 17.

Apart fromt he small knock readout issue (can be sorted to flash the dash light with anything over 10knock) I'm extremely happy with the rb26 pfc. Especially as it has sorted the under 2000rpm boost = leanout issue. :D

Maybe the Rb26's run a different det sensor????

Knock sensors are 100% perfect.

I dropped the rb20 pfc back in to double check.

It appears to be the 8.04a's RB26 PFC's firmware.. Only some one else with a 8.04a would be able to comment on their knock readings. Maybe their quality control is slipping. :D

Good stuff Tangles.. This is what you've done? Ditched the SAFC? :thumbsup:

No, still have the safc and sitc.

working on getting a r34 pfc, one day hopefully..... but No not as yet. Need to heet the family home first :( we are freeezing !

that info came from Beastien, he recently got 242rwkw out of his S1 Stagea with r34 gtt Pfc

• 3 weeks later...
There's no need for the datalogit if you were to do this.

There's an option to select between R33 or R32 GTR type o2 sensors via the h/c.

The biggest difference is the wiring. The zirconia o2 sensor has slightly different pinouts so you would have to sort that side of it out. *Check out the circuit diagrams within the R33 and R32 GTR engine manuals*

I've been through every nook and cranny with regards to the circuit diagrams to ensure nothing will blow up. :rant:

BUT..... I believe you can grab R32 GTR NGK/NTK o2 sensors from a sponsor on this forum for a reasonable price. ~$283 for 2 o2 sensors. :S

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=135194

ok Sort of reasonable.. lol

ahh, thanks for both those bits of info cubes. I will suss out those $280 a pair sensors. if they are the correct ones that is a good price. the best I've been able to find so far is about $700 a pair! with the HC being able to select between 32GTR and 33 GTR is the 33 GTR sensor titania too, or do they use the more common (and cheap) type of sensor?

however it seems the cheapest way will be to buy the ones you linked. Or if not it may be worthwhile to buy a wideband that can emulate a narrow band and use that instead.

ahh, thanks for both those bits of info cubes. I will suss out those $280 a pair sensors. if they are the correct ones that is a good price. the best I've been able to find so far is about $700 a pair! with the HC being able to select between 32GTR and 33 GTR is the 33 GTR sensor titania too, or do they use the more common (and cheap) type of sensor?

however it seems the cheapest way will be to buy the ones you linked. Or if not it may be worthwhile to buy a wideband that can emulate a narrow band and use that instead.

The R33 GTR's use the more common, cheaper and faster zirconia sensors.

The only issue with that as I said above you will have to alter your o2 sensor wiring a touch.

Hey Guys

Still very keen on getting a power fc and adding a temp sens on my rb20

Is this thread still going and is anyone still going to make a loom so all i have to do is get my tuner to tune it with data fc?

or do i have to make the loom myself??

Crimsonknight,

For those of you with R32's its a 100% go ahead.

Get your RB26 PFC and give Shaun/Troy @ Boostworx a buzz to book the car in.

If you want your 'own' tuner to do the work thats too bad; I won't be telling anyone what needs to be done nor will I be sharing my datalogit dat files so they can go to their own tuner.

The dat files I have pieced together allows the car to run on the base map nicely which results in less tuning time and obviously a better overall tune.

Have your own tuner do this sort of R&D and you'll be up for BIG $$, unless that is they don't charge you R&D.

Its only fair as I used Shauns Datalogit for a full day without charge sorting out the bugs; not once did Shaun expect anything in return.

The least I could do is push a little business back to him and give him the dat files I have settled on and loom mods performed.

Shaun and that Troy feller are top blokes, as I'm sure many of you already know. :)

Crimsonknight,

If you want your 'own' tuner to do the work thats too bad; I won't be telling anyone what needs to be done nor will I be sharing my datalogit dat files so they can go to their own tuner.

The dat files I have pieced together allows the car to run on the base map nicely which results in less tuning time and obviously a better overall tune.

Have your own tuner do this sort of R&D and you'll be up for BIG $$, unless that is they don't charge you R&D.

Its only fair as I used Shauns Datalogit for a full day without charge sorting out the bugs; not once did Shaun expect anything in return.

The least I could do is push a little business back to him and give him the dat files I have settled on and loom mods performed.

Shaun and that Troy feller are top blokes, as I'm sure many of you already know. :)

can vouch 100% for boostworx i drive over 30 mins to get to his workshop Shaun and Troy are only to willing to help people out with out even getting your custom

Crimsonknight,

Shaun and that Troy feller are top blokes, as I'm sure many of you already know. :D

Hey Cubes

I would love too support Boostworx but the cost driving to south australia from sydney is too great for a power fc

so if i could pay them or you for the adaptor/data so the boys at Autosport can tune it that would be Fantastic!!

thanks Man

• 1 month later...

do you still have the loom you got from me or did you sell it?

the djetro wire in diagram shows you splice it into cly 3 and 4 but that seems odd, placement sounds but not sure where the map sensor signal goes

also you would i guess place the two map sensor next to each other, sounds like the GTR had two to try and balance the pressure out on the intake

i wonder if the GTIR has two or one map sensor

do you still have the loom you got from me or did you sell it?

the djetro wire in diagram shows you splice it into cly 3 and 4 but that seems odd, placement sounds but not sure where the map sensor signal goes

also you would i guess place the two map sensor next to each other, sounds like the GTR had two to try and balance the pressure out on the intake

i wonder if the GTIR has two or one map sensor

Few good points.

The GTR runs 2 x map sensors. I wonder if you can do the same as the AFMS - Splice both AFMs together and simply hook up one map sensor?

Or go the easy way out and just get to Map sensors and run two. That means no shanging of the wires. Everything else is easy, Cut the 02 Sensor wires, and get a Air Temp sensor wired in?

Surely the rest is the same? I'd assume since the D-Jetro was designed to use the factory wiring it will just have map sensors on the MAF wires instead of mafs, but everything is is the same.

That wiring thing about cylinder 3 and 4 is weird, but maybe the map sensors need some kind of trigger to understand Engine RPM for something?

Are there instructions for installing one? Keen to see some.

Joely, were is your input lol.

ahhh I see, the wiring will be exactly the same as the Maf Rb26 -> RB20 or 25 version, but instead of splicing the AFMS together, you just cut the AFMs completely and hook dual MAP sensors up.

As says the picture from Your FAQ paul - http://paulr33.sauvic.com.au/docs/powerfc-...tro-harness.jpg

This will be easy.

Going to order a D-Jetro Tonight and extra adapter loom.

Hooking this up to a RB20 with a HKS 3037proS. The owner wants to tune it, and then install the RB30 when its completed he has sitting on his engine stand.

:happy:

Looking forward to this project.

No more f**king around with Airflow curves, and Maf settings, as MAP sensors are universal on all cars as they only read pressure, regardless of pipe size, etc.

If I can get a RB25 D-Jetro I think I'll swap it with my standard RB25 Powerfc. Just so I can remove the AFM. If I can't get a standard Powerfc I'll use a RB26 one and a adapter loom.

Edited by The Mafia

I have the full RB26 DJETRO manual at home. I can scan it for you paul.

basically the map sensor nipples are inserted into cylinders 3 and 4 of the throttle bridge for the 26. then their loom runs to the side port on the PFC, and also splices into the ecu harness (I assume into the two AFM signal wires).

I don't know how much better or worse PFC DJETRO is than the LJETRO. like paul said once you are at target boost the maps output just hold a flat line even though the acutal volume of air going in will increase. so I guess more reliance is placed on RPM axis and maybe TPS etc.