SAU Community

Illuminated Skyline

L33igh

hahaha. sorry dude. im just in the middle of prepping it for painting. you can see the masking tape up the top.

i was masking the letters and that was the only contact i had lying around. wat you rekon? shud i leave it as is? :O

Haha. I thought you had some trippy paint going on there! :unsure: I think it would look mad if the light illuminated the rainbow colours of the contact.

How far away are you from completing all this? I'm reading up on how to do it now. I'm not sure how to take the black back part off of the front clear part of the rear fascia without breaking it? :rolleyes:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:P:D:ermm:

i fuxored it!!. was doin it in the garage and left both doors open. wind blew all kindsa shit onto it. i dont have time to do it all again today so i just got some thinners and took it back to plastic. sorry guys.

i think i'll wait till i need something painted on my car and get it done professionally. i'll just make the electronics in the meantime.

btw i think it was mentioned b4 that its nearly impossible to get the clear part away from the black. i think what Al did by cutting out the back is the way to go

:huh:

hahaha. sorry dude. im just in the middle of prepping it for painting. you can see the masking tape up the top.

i was masking the letters and that was the only contact i had lying around. wat you rekon? shud i leave it as is? :P

what you got on the letters t here? is that just contact or masking tape..or both.. curious..

so you cut our your black out niroj? I just got my circuit ready yday.. havent tested it out though.. also i havent raked up enough dough to get the bezel professionally painted.. does anyone have an approx cost on how much it might cost?

So I guess I'll have to wait up on that for a while.. however wil test the circuit sometime over teh weekend and post results..

:D:ermm::huh:

i fuxored it!!. was doin it in the garage and left both doors open. wind blew all kindsa shit onto it. i dont have time to do it all again today so i just got some thinners and took it back to plastic. sorry guys.

i think i'll wait till i need something painted on my car and get it done professionally. i'll just make the electronics in the meantime.

btw i think it was mentioned b4 that its nearly impossible to get the clear part away from the black. i think what Al did by cutting out the back is the way to go

Damn what a bummer! I hate it when stuff like that happens. :P

Yeah I read about cutting out the back part of the panel, but what do you replace it with??? Or do you re-glue it? :no:

so you cut our your black out niroj? I just got my circuit ready yday.. havent tested it out though.. also i havent raked up enough dough to get the bezel professionally painted.. does anyone have an approx cost on how much it might cost?

So I guess I'll have to wait up on that for a while.. however wil test the circuit sometime over teh weekend and post results..

seeing as how i help you with everything :( i know a painter in Hornsby if your interested... im thinking i might rip mine out tomorrow or the day after at work and start this little project... it looks frigging awesome... a MUST have :rolleyes:

i havnt had a good look at the back, but if need be, ill take mine to him to get it painted...

seeing as how i help you with everything :( i know a painter in Hornsby if your interested... im thinking i might rip mine out tomorrow or the day after at work and start this little project... it looks frigging awesome... a MUST have :)

i havnt had a good look at the back, but if need be, ill take mine to him to get it painted...

following tradition :rolleyes: you could get a qoute off him and let me know as well.. and in case you manage to rip the black plastic out of the clear without creaking it.. do the community a service and let us know :kiss:

nah i havent done anything really productive so far :(. im gonna take my time on this one i think. havent even gotten the electronic components together yet i rekon if i was careful then it may be possible to get out the back bit in one piece. that way it'd be easy to glue/sikaflex it back in.

the stuff on the letters was some funky reflective contact i had lying around (from the days of primary when mum used to contact up all my school stuff). i also taped off the top and bottom of the black plastic with ordinary masking tape..

a quote on the painting would be nice

well you would have to find your own place cause your in Melb... but my guy will probably to it for sweet f**k all... he'll wait til he has a car the same colour to spray, and if its already masked up, just spray it with the car...

If time isnt an issue, he may do it for me for free :rofl: but ill take it to him when i get it off and ask him what he would charge...

gotta get it off first...

:( for free???!?! Okay there we go our deal.. i make u the circuit and fit it in and you get your painter to paint mine as well... how does that sound :laughing-smiley-014:

well you would have to find your own place cause your in Melb... but my guy will probably to it for sweet f**k all... he'll wait til he has a car the same colour to spray, and if its already masked up, just spray it with the car...

If time isnt an issue, he may do it for me for free :D but ill take it to him when i get it off and ask him what he would charge...

gotta get it off first...

I dunno, i could probably do most of it myself... that was the plan :(

ill gladly get yours painted at the same time mine is, or even before... its not much, he might need to see your car to get a decent colour match...

but ill have to ask him... doubt he will do it for free to be honest :D

i rekon if i was careful then it may be possible to get out the back bit in one piece. that way it'd be easy to glue/sikaflex it back in.
Don't say i haven't warned you :)

Good luck :)

eh? i dont remember saying that. wtf? another fine example of my brain taking a smoko while im doing stuff. i think i meant its possible to cut out a strip of black plastic in one piece. can be used as a lid + sealant. i do remember your warning. got the inspiration from your pics. howd you seal yours?

Oh my bad, it sounded like you wanted to separate the back half from the front :)

I didn't bother with the cut out piece. After mounting the board, i got a tube of sicaflex and coated the whole rear, to seal and support the board. Basically i just squeezed the sicaflex all over the back and used a spatular to smooth it out by running it along the two humps.

Oh my bad, it sounded like you wanted to separate the back half from the front :)

I didn't bother with the cut out piece. After mounting the board, i got a tube of sicaflex and coated the whole rear, to seal and support the board. Basically i just squeezed the sicaflex all over the back and used a spatular to smooth it out by running it along the two humps.

What if an LED blows?

yeah LED's dont blow that often...

i've ordered 2 new S1 facias... i came up with a design idea that no one has done yet... and it could possibly save people time and money... *oooooohhh secrets >_<*

hey guys im pretty new to these forums but i have just about completed this lil project that use are all doing and it is quiet easy all i did was tape of the letter and snad the plastic and paint it i happend to have some spair paint from my body kit laying around. for the bak of it i just used a stanley knife and a hand help haksaw blade to cut the bak strip out u will see there is a 400mm section in the bak of it ther eis a plastic line at ech end of it u will no wa ti mena when u see it just cut down them and along the sides and pop it out. then for the lights i just went and bought 2x 200mm red led lights from autobarn or the like and gled them to the baking that i cut out all i had to do to fit thes was slightly stager the leds so i didnt have a big gap in the lights in the middle but it looks wuit good u can tell that the 2 lights are stagered but i dnt mind then all i have ot do now is glue the bak peice bak into it and put clear over the top of my paint. i wired them into my parkers looks awsome. hope that may help anyone whith there project.