SAU Community

Help With Blowoff Valve

R DIRTY 3

Jesus, there's some real BS being posted in this thread. Brad - do a search for this topic, its been covered a million times before by more knowledgable people :|

Yeah i tried that but could not find anything overly helpful.

I think i understand what makes more sense and what i need to do.

Thanks all for your info and thoughts.

Would prefer this didnt turn into a "who knows more thread" as we all know how they end up.

Cheers

http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~amh110/Tech...w_off_valve.htm

this link will help~~ it's info is accurate...the spring in your BOV is probably too soft which opens up too readily under the slightest pressure.

Vacuum from the plenum "sucks" the spring up opening the valve if your spring is too soft a lot of air is vented hence the stalling.

The AFM reads off a certain amount of air going into the engine and inject the specific quantity of fuel. However when the BOV vents off too much air there won't be enough air for combustion. that's when it stalls.

Depending on your BOV model, there's should be some sort of "dial" to adjust the spring...otherwise get a new spring? or BOV?

while it is true that BOV is usually better used in MAP system since MAP sensor sits after the BOV, if adjusted correctly (does not vents too much air) it should also be able to be used in AFM system.

Just to add my 2c. . .

My R33, manual, had a Turbosmart Vee port on it when I got it. stalled at idle, popped and banged pretty bad, and was quite sluggish on gear changes.

Went to the Turbosmart website and got instructions to adjust it correctly. still not great. . .

Put a stocker back on, much better, no stalling, smoother idle, faster on changes with less BANG. . . definately runs better all the time

Also with a FMIC, Aluminium piping and a K&N Pod the stocker is very noisy anyways. . .

Want to buy a Vee port? :D

Cheers

I have a GFB Bovus Maximus... it didn't stall it just pop twiced @ higher revz... Blocked off the return pipe for the plumback and it reduced it... Rarely stalls and stalled once during a really cold morning.. it was wierd. My car was idling pretty higher than usual for a while about 1k to 800rpm then after a while it dropped to 650rpm... this is with the Stock ECU.

I don't know if there is any Perfomance benefits.. but i am hearing noises i haven't heard b4 like the Pod which sounds like it's fluttering.. @ very Low Rev changes...

Gettn PowerFC Tuned very soon.. should sort out my Big Bang Issue when i'm Givin it some :D

-SeSaR

Edited by Black_CSR

I removed my R2D2 in favour of a stocker. The stocker seems to be loud enough and it's not like I'm running crazy boost or anything, runs much better in my untuned state.

P.S. R2D2 still for sale too :)

• 4 weeks later...

LOL i agree lots of BS here!!!

:)

well my 5c

ermm from what i heard / raced.. lol BOV dont offer no proformance... so only change if ur running more then 14PSI? stock BOV leaks.

anyways u get a flutter noise through ur POD...

oh and yeah i raced many guyz wif ato BOV, and yeah they seem to l00se a bit of power/torque i can power n pull past em.

LAWL does BOV do damage to ya engine???

and after all AFM does count that air your car PSTTTTT out.. so thats why u get rough idles :S

if u really wanna run an atmo bov, use a hybrid style bov that both plumbs back AND vents to atmo. will solve ur probs.

i have one, but i've plumbed it back coz psshhhhht got on my nerves.

Just to add my 2c. . .

My R33, manual, had a Turbosmart Vee port on it when I got it. stalled at idle, popped and banged pretty bad, and was quite sluggish on gear changes.

Went to the Turbosmart website and got instructions to adjust it correctly. still not great. . .

Put a stocker back on, much better, no stalling, smoother idle, faster on changes with less BANG. . . definately runs better all the time

Also with a FMIC, Aluminium piping and a K&N Pod the stocker is very noisy anyways. . .

Want to buy a Vee port? :action-smiley-069:

Cheers

I have the vee port on mine and it has no issues at all...popping or stalling.

I could be interested in buying it as the one i have is shall we say "at the lower end of the quality scale" lol

Check to see if your current atmo bov has a spring tension adjuster on it...and wind it in. I had a blitz on my S15 that would do the exact same thing...stall when pulling up to lights, or pushing in the clutch when driving along. Wound the tensioner in and it solved all the problems. The only problem from the atmo bov was overfueling.

I also have Turbosmart Veeport. Have used it on a B6 Mazda turbo motor, a RB20, a 1JZ and a RB25 and had no dramas with stalling at all. excellent blow off valve and not the annoying PSHHHHHHHH when driving around town, unless you feed lotsa boost through it.